Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I hate to see this thread die. I know that this one has Super Stock on the glass but I have another picture with it in the other lane as a Stocker. Bill "Redman" Floyd photo.
    [​IMG]

2. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I don't think that I posted this one. Bill "Redman" Floyd photo.
    [​IMG]

3. DRAG.INC

DRAG.INC

Bob,you have the best picts on this thread.you must have spent alot of time at edgewater.

4. Maliburacr

Maliburacr
    from Ohio

Bob can keep this thread going for a few months.

5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Quote Bob Rice 3294106 "I hate to see this thread die ... "

Yes Bob, I'm sure a lot of folks will miss it, but unless more people 'discover' it and share their stories and photos it can't be sustained.

This thread certainly served to show the high-levels of popularity and participation in this very-creative and fascinating sport. Even though we all embraced the seemingly disparaging moniker, there was nothing really "junior" about 'Junior Stock.'

Kudos to all of those resourceful and talented guys who figured out 'the combinations' ... 'the tricks' and made us 'smile in the bargain' with names like ... 'Budget Breaker' ... 'Tokyo Rose' ... 'Banana Peel' ... 'Witchcraft' ... 'Heartbreaker' ... 'Rough Ride' ... 'Terrible Tangerine' ... 'Yoo Hoo Too' ... 'Monster Mash' ... 'Hydraphobia' etc., etc., etc. ...Thanks guys!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  6. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Never been there. I live in NC and I got lucky and hooked up with Redman. I'm still cropping and photo shopping pictures that he sent me. Redman is the starter for Div 3 and has worked with NHRA for quite a long time.
    Bob

7. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve,
    If we transition into Super Stock we will be set for a while!
    Bob

8. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here's one of Howard Barsky that I was hesitant to post. I think that it is a Bob Plummer photo.
    [​IMG]

9. DRAG.INC

DRAG.INC

i think i met redman in '06 at the hot rod reunion in bowling green ky.he had a small photo album with about 50 picts in it.all of them taken at edgewater park.super guy.great to talk to.he showed me picts of my car(purple haze) from about '69-70.i'm glad he had his camera all those years ago.

10. brandon

brandon

i stubbled across those photos a couple months ago... cool stuff that was just a couple years before my time...:rolleyes: a couple friends and a couple of my now customers are pictured in that group..... let me know if he post up any new ones..... brandon:D

the 57 belonged to a couple bros. from covington...still racing with their sons ....currently running r.e.d.'s....

the chevelle belonged to one of my dad's relatives....

Attached Files:

11. DRAG.INC

DRAG.INC

the picture of the chevelle looks like it was taken at thorn hill.am i right?

12. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by 56 Pontiac I/SA [​IMG]
    Quote Bob Rice 3294106 "I hate to see this thread die ... "

Yes Bob, I'm sure a lot of folks will miss it, but unless more people 'discover' it and share their stories and photos it can't be sustained

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I would hate to see this thread die. If it did I would have to go out to my garage and sit in my S/SA 63 Ply to remember the way that it used to be in Junior Stock.

I would miss all of the memories by those of us that were there and made Junior Stock what it was, and miss those who are now gone to the staging lanes upstairs..

Former National Record Holder; S/SA, F/S, SS/C. Q/SA....................Now if I only had my AMX back..............

Attached Files:

13. brandon

brandon

it came off the photo page of edgewater stuff....i thought it might be tri state.... the hill didn't have a tree like that till in the mid 90's....had clocks before that ...and a small 3 bulb traffic like setup before that ...flags at the beginning.... got one of the 3 bulb setups in my garage...the clocks are in latonia .... brandon

14. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Both of the pictures are Redman's and were taken at Edgewater.
    Bob

15. DRAG.INC

DRAG.INC

i think your right.

16. brandon

brandon

a shot from a couple years ago for the "fng"...:D

Attached Files:

17. 65deluxe

65deluxe

The 007 Chevelle any relation to Norm Fryers 007 66 Biscayne posted back on page 24?

18. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Yes Bob, but the only problem is that a SS thread already exists; although the time frame differs. It's 'pretty-much' finished after 79 pages during nine months of postings.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247089

Speaking of SS cars, Vernes (WGuy) *car, with a 170/283 glide would make a great SS/XA--->
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...61635&ih=013&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&viewitem

19. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Lol i just saw an AMX on a car lot in ohio,on my way to Summit racing eq tuesday morning!

20. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

One for you'EagleEyedGuyz.'

'Notta' great shot, but see if you can spot (Five, not counting the headers) basic 'bucks down' very-typical Junior Stock tricks. They can all easily be seen!

[​IMG]

*... and in case you're 'wondering,' that 'cover' is just a 'keep the bugs/dirt out of the carb while enroute to the track'

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  21. brandon

brandon

air cleaner base...valve cover breathers ...cool can ...generator pulley ...water pump pulley...???

22. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

As a long time NHRA Div 1 stock eliminator racer, stopped in the late 90's, it is fun to see pics and read stories etc of the guys and gals we raced. Now we have a 57 Chev wagon that we tour around in, here is a pic of the Nova at Sanair with Ross driving in the bracket class, and I ran in the stock/SS races. When I scan a pic of my 69 Camaro I will post it here, Henry Albert, 1608
    [​IMG]

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

'Youdonereallygood' Brandon!
    Yes the water-pump puller was larger also, but the forth one I was really asking for is the homemade 'T' handles which were welded onto the valve-cover bolts! Number five (granted, it's hard to see) is the lightweight garden-tractor battery.

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Air cleaner base, no choke heating, valve cover breathers, large generator/water pump pulleys, T-bar valve cover bolts, loose belt, cool can, plug wires not crossed, smaller battery; any more?

25. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

'YoudonereallygoodToo' "56sedandelivery"!
    ... although 'Brandon' got a hole shot on you!;)

How bout some pics or info on your K? L? no ... methinks an 'M/SA' 56?

26. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I wish your photos would have come through, but I only see red "x"s. I knew LaVerne, went to a few races with him when his health was failing and now work on a car he (we) were very involved in. RIP LaVerne.

[​IMG]

BTW, The original FI unit from his car was recently returned to Jere Stahl.

27. brandon

brandon

the t handles seemed a little too easy...:D the battery looks like a stocker to me....but i'm only 37....a little before my time...hahah

i've been helping on a couple stockers for the past 10 years....my father and father in law had a 61 impala v stocker 4 dr (283 / pg) , that ended up running ihra g or h crate motor (300 350) 78 malibu 330hp/350 crate motor , 66 nova with a 220hp 283/pg (wish i had a pic of this when it had cragars all around...it was sweet, abit heavy though:rolleyes:), just started on a 94 camaro 330hp/ 350 crate car...

Attached Files:

28. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

This is the first set of adjustable Stahl's I have seen, at least I don't remember seeing any before. The shot must have been taken in 1969 or prior as the car still had to run the full exhaust system. Wasn't it 1970 when the whole system was no longer required.

I also noticed the rev limiter, wonder why he needed that? Valve springs were probably the only thing that would keep that engine from winding up too tight.

Attached Files:

29. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

For all of you (old) National Dragster collectors ... see this yet?

[​IMG]

... from-->http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-National-Dragster-Newspapers-1967_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34220QQihZ024QQitemZ370113399728QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

... and while I was lookin at eBay -- saw this-->http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:727|65:12|39:1|240:1308

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  30. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

The lot might go very cheap, due to the condition -- keep an eye on it!
    Also, you might 'take a peek' at that vendor's other auctions-> http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/ramblinon , as he has (at least) two other 'interesting' paper lots for sale that he's selling for the same elderly gent!

And Colesy (PS) There's always lots of National Dragster's listed on eBay ... current listings-->
    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...37.l1313&satitle=National+Dragster&category0=

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008