Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving, hillbilly style...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I've been wanting to get my model t from my dad's place to mine. I've been pulling it piece by piece, but this weekend i decided to get the rest of it here, I allready pulled the rearend to machine up some custom brakes for it, and my trailer is full of '47 plymouth, so yea, the next best thing!!!

Attached Files:

2. wow, that looks scary as hell:eek:. hope you were only going around the corner

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Tow truck???? We don' neet no steenkin tow truck! :p

4. kendall66

kendall66
    from iowa

hillbilly style???????.......looks like a little redneck in there to. hope you didn't have to go far, the poor blue thing looks like its hurting. wowzer.

5. kennb

kennb

I've done some crazy shit in my lifetime, but that takes the cake. Something had to get fucked up in that move, something. Tell us, how did it go. Ken

6. paintcan54

paintcan54

Hmmmmm, I hope the move was across the yard.

7. McDeuce

McDeuce

Looking good .. Did it work ? Did you wreck anything?

8. oldolds

oldolds

Poor elco. I bet it's back was sore the next morning.

9. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

That is just plain stupid !

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It was only a block and a half, and ive beat el camino's worse, i had 950lbs oof trans am in one trip to the scrappers, they are hearty little trucks!

That said it isnt the smartest thing ive done, but it worked and the model t is safe and sound and reunited with the turtle deck, my mill, lathe, hammers and tons of parts

11. RFH1931

RFH1931

Sometimes ya just gotta work with what ya got !

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We've all done dumb stuff like that just to get something moved. I put what was left of a Fox Mustang on my little 4 x 6 utility trailer one time to haul it to the scrap yard.........it was way more than the trailer was designed to hold. Not only that but it was loaded wrong and had more weight on the back of the trailer than the front.

I drove slow but every so often it would start to whip on me because of being tail heavy. I was praying all the way and worried a cop would pull me over, but somehow I made it. But it was just dumb and I will never do it again........well, except for that load I hauled from Paco's place in Georgia one time on the same little trailer. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don

13. As one of the Hamb O Dex transporters, I have to say you have a bright future on USHIP.com. You will fit in nicely with them!

14. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Don, Looks like it might be time to upgrade to a bigger, sturdier trailer. CTJ

15. Hilarious! :D HRP

16. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Damn HillBilly's The Chevy goes in the Ford! Not Ford in Chevy!:D
    done more than my share 'overloaded' trailer runs ;)

17. Rem

Rem

I once had 90% of a '34 Fordor body and chassis in and on my old Volvo 240 estate. Bit of a scary, back-heavy 22-mile ride home down country roads, but as RFH1931 said, sometimes you have to work with what you've got. :)

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, but this one is so ugly no one bothers to steal it. :D:D

Don

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The worst I've done is use a U-Haul transporter to haul my '62 Chevy II to the muffler shop. The dumb thing? Using a Chevy Luv as a tow vehicle. It had a sbc with a 9" Ford. I had to really talk U-Haul into renting me the trailer. That poor little truck barely had the front wheels touching the ground.

20. That's what she said!!

21. Let's see, 300 cement blocks @ 35lbs each (10,500) on a trailer behind a 74 Toyota pick-up. 14 miles on back roads. Spring of the year weight limits on the roads, block company couldn't deliver. I guess I is a redneck hillbilly.

22. Like everything else it's not about carrying the load, it's about keeping it under control and being able to stop.

23. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Nobody remembers doing worse as common practice? Come on, I couldn't imagine pulling a camping trailer with no brakes cross country behind a drum brake car.:rolleyes:

25. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Dang. You're supposed to abuse the '79.

26. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Way OT I know, but this thread reminded me of a somewhat relevant situation... My parents ran a co-op for rabbit producers (don't ask) and we bought feed in bulk and other members could come to our place to buy what they needed. I hauled 1.5 tons of feed on a '71 Datsun pickup every other week for 2.5 years. No shit. Only thing we ever had to do was put a clutch in the truck. I bought the truck from my parents and drove it for another 3 years and sold it with over 300,000 miles on it and it was still going strong.

27. RichG

RichG

Looks fine to me... of course, I drove a '78 Granada 1800 miles that was so loaded down I had to have a shop lift the car off the axle and put spring over shocks on and great big rubber snubbers so I didn't pound myself to death. Oh yeah, it had "D" rated tires too. Sometimes you just have to run what ya brung.

28. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I'd have unloaded the '47 Plymouth rather than endanger other motorists because of my laziness.... but that's just me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Komi7wnAw

29. xwing01

xwing01

As long as you go slow and watch out for the fuzz you shouldn't have any problems, I've done some silly things as well, like towing an F250 with Honda...embarrassing

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  30. That's where all my extra ratchet straps went.