Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Classy Kustoms Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Thanks, I miss that old girl madly by times.. It's that car I never should have sold.........twice!

2. Love your vision, on this Cadillac!!. You got guts AND Mad-Fabricator skills. Truly reminiscent of the "customs" created when this car was new, by the likes of Willoughby and Dietrich. 3 window version(my pick) belongs, parked in front of some 30's/40's Hollywood movie premier. Keeps occupants hidden, till they arrive and make their grand entrance. Very Classy.
    JT
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Da Flash

Da Flash

4. Da Flash

Da Flash

Hello,
    I am Dale Moreau in Portland, Oregon. I now own the '54 Ford. Could you send me info on who did the body and paint it and installed the drive line. Plus any other info you might have on the car.

Da Flash

5. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

3 Nice ones

Attached Files:

6. I'm gonna throw my own two cents in here. Since the thread is about CLASSY KUSTOMS, maybe a little further discussion on what that means is in order. As the Supreme Court Justice said about obscenity a few decades ago, (paraphrased) "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it", CLASSY cannot really be defined, but we in the hobby know it when we see it. Some of the posts have displayed cars that we may not really declare to be classy customs, but the owners and those who have posted the pics did feel that they had what it takes. Others are pretty universally recognized as classy (Hirohata Merc, Ernst Chevy, Steck Moonglow for instance). Others seem to be missing herein...Cadzilla and Scrape among them.

I personally think that there is a certain proportion to the classy ones that just sit right on our collective aesthetic sense. We drool when we see it done right!

But all-in-all I love this thread and love seeing the cars (Maybe not the Willys Race Car)

With that said, here are pics of my 40 COOP alongside my hero car, the Doug Rice Coupe. Like 50fraud's '40 convert, I think the proportions of our chopped and channeled fat fenders are just right. What do you think?

DSC08986.JPG DSC08959.JPG
    DSC08917.JPG

7. Squablow

Squablow

Awesome work on the Caddy, I saw the original renderings on Facebook and thought it looked great. I had every intention of selling off my '40 Chrysler sedan this spring but stuff like this really makes me re-think big ol' 4 door sedans as a starting point for a pre-war taildragger.

8. Irishjr,

I agree, very nice coupe. Rice's 39 has been classy for decades and I remember seeing it at small shows from my old pacific beach stomping grounds when I was young.

9. bleedmachine

bleedmachine

I've been through all six years of this thread in the past couple days, there are some great rides here! I'm gonna add my contribution, even with the tail dragger bags I think it turned out pretty classy. It's one I did for a customer a couple years ago.
    shoebox 4.jpg shoebox 2.jpg shoebox 3.jpg shoebox 5.jpg

BigO, rodl, hacknwhack and 1 other person like this.
  10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great scallops!

11. bleedmachine

bleedmachine

Thanks!

12. Olson

Olson

I like 'em too.

Also, as nice as it can look to have an uninterrupted arc from the rear half of the roof through to the trunk, it seems like it gets done that way on 90% of chops...whether it fits the particular car or not. It's refreshing to see the distinct character line.

13. Da Flash

Da Flash

14. 'Mo

'Mo

I'd say this chopped Pontiac is pretty classy!
    (from the Barret/Jackson site)
    [​IMG]

15. I'd say you're right, that Pontiac is classy like most of the cars posted here.

rodl likes this.
  16. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Your are correct, when you a classy custom you know it! These are classy customs, very sweet rides!

Posted while on the run with Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

inspirational thread thanks for sharing some wonderful photos

18. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Oh YES, oh YES, right on and fully subscribed!
    Well aware of both cars (remember the comparo article w/your tribute) and TOTALLY agree. Doug Rice's 39 nails "the look" - simply breathtaking and iconic. Never realized until now that it is also sectioned. Doug's gets my vote for being the first and audaciously exaggerated but yours has to be the more practical for a driver (unless you're 4'8" or thereabouts). Only way I can drive Fred Cain's 40 is Pachuco style, slumped down on my tailbone so my nose is even with the bottom of the window opening. Cool as all get-out for profiling, not really very comfortable to drive. Who was it said "you've got to suffer for style."?

rodl likes this.
  19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

That pontiac is amazing,totally classy.slick smooth and just right

20. Epy

Epy

Time this came back up

21. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

Now here are classy Kustoms. All shiny NO AIRBAGS, or slammed. 40s Ford Kustom copy.jpg sam1_1SXF_2.jpg P9271347-vi.jpg
    1969301_3980830295918_2028365346_n.jpg

Hamtown Al, BloodyKnuckles and rodl like this.
  22. Wow, this thread needs a bump. Today at the Scottsdale GG show.
    [​IMG]

23. nitrobrother, thanks for posting. That '40? Kustom is so cool. Love the stacked headlights and unique roof treatment.
    JT

24. Janne

Janne

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    jakespeed63 likes this.
  25. GKM

GKM

Attached Files:

26. GKM

GKM

Attached Files:

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.