Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are the HAMB Drags so short??

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by benchseat4speed, Aug 19, 2013.

1. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Thats what drag racing is to me. Man and Machine. I would do that.

Duuuuude......:cool:

I'll prolly take ya up on it, especially if I don't have my shit together next year. Thats a good compromise, thank you.

Not expecting anyone to take my side in this, but thank you.

HAMB Drags is the coolest nostalgia drag race I've ever been to. I love the laid back atmosphere as well, and I enjoy the people it attracts. And hell yes Ryan deserves credit for what he's done, and the people he's brought together.

But, I drive 700 miles to get there. Not complaining about the drive, just the miles driven-passes made ratio. If something can be done to open the track earlier and close it later, great, if not, I rest my case. Kevin

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think it would be rad if the diehards take over Friday night at the track. Great for you guys and great for the track!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. ryno

ryno

Hum....
    I'm liking the most runs over the weekend award.
    Turn in all your time slips sat pm from Friday and sat. Most slips in a street driven car,at least a car that was driven to the track and back Friday pm and sat ,wins.

I can get behind something like this.

I think for most this has grown into a social event that happens to have races,I know it has at least for me.

4. gonmad

gonmad

I love the laid back atmosphere of the event. I've never had anything that i would want to "beat on" that is on topic, but I've been to plenty of other events in the Camaro that are events like you're talking about Kevin. I love racing it, but unfortunately when a "fun event" changes to a "racing event", usually people start getting serious and attitudes and drama and egos show up along with it.
    Keep it "fun" Ryan, you guys are doing an awesome job and thanks for putting it all together!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I grew up racing professionally. Relatively speaking and in modern terms, nothing at the HAMB Drags is even remotely fast. As such, there's no reason to get competitively serious and not to have fun. Simple math.

6. I'd be down for that... I think I made 12 or so passes at Day of the Drags last year.

7. Don't change a thing. I went to one of the two local tracks here and from 6 pm to 1 am I managed to make 2 passes. I finally gave up and went home. They couldn't manage to get anything working. Christmas tree quit, PA quit, so the track quit. It was time to do some flag starts at that point but no one thought of that.

I was happy with my 4 passes at the HAMB drags. Plus it gave me time to get back and packed for the trip back to Colorado.

HAMB drags is as smooth as silk. Keep it that way.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  8. Kustom desoto

Kustom desoto

I love how the hamb drags I would hate it if there was a change. There is racing for you at most any drag race events, any way your car does not really fit in with the 30 seconds nos purge and what looks like a mustang II front end as low as it is which looks like it was built in the 80's. People go to hamb see bad ass gasser front engine dragster and kool vintage cars. I hope it keeps the nostalgia it has today.

9. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

The question is WHY ARE THE OTHER 363 DAYS OF THE YEAR SO FUCKING LONG? I vote that we have 363 days of HAMB drags each year and 2 days of the other crap.

10. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

i think that the HAMB drags have changed enough already, that original charm that that it had back in the day when it was still small was priceless and I feel lucky that I got to experience it and sad for people that will never know. It's still an awesome event but it's already loosing a little charm and i think that if it were changed too much people would stop going because it would be like any of the other lame-ass event's out there. Please keep kool and keep the HAMB drags kool because theres nothing else like it.

11. silverdome

silverdome

12. There are always HAMBers running on Friday night. The locals dug it when Sam was running his digger all the way from Califonia! They have a cool local vibe on the test n tune night

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be honest with you, I thought it was the best Drag Race Format I have ever been through. You make four passes, race who you want or take whom ever lines up along side you. At the end of the day the fastest run takes home the hardware and the rest of you get the hell out of there and ready to party. I wouldn't change a thing!

14. oldneverslow

oldneverslow

I have been attending as a spectator since #2. I have motivated at least a dozen others to come experience it. I respect what the racers are saying about more/competitive racing but that is why I don't go to current equipment events. At the H.A.M.B. I have seen reunions of geezers like me running into someone from decades ago. I love watching you young guns grinning ear to ear as you poke fun at each other and share the passion us old guys worry about getting lost. The worst year was the one I missed about 5 years ago. However you all work it out, I will be eternally grateful for the memories rekindled here and am sure you all will appreciate these meets in your later years.

15. chevs52-58

chevs52-58

We left before the rain started coming in around 5 pm. We were there at 10:30 am in the morning. We only got to run twice. We were getting ready to go to the staging lanes for the third run, when they cancel it and began the "eliminations".