Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Please forgive the long delay in responding 300 racer. It is a low pressure in-line pump. Sorry, I don't know the brand. It is the brand my friend who has an auto parts store has the least returns with. Thought that would be a good choice. It is hidden so no one can see what a piece of modern crap I'm using.

With the dragster put away for the winter, I turned my attention to the Reo project and now it is drivable. Been fixing the little stuff. Also began assembling my '63 Land Rover half cab project. And started measuring and disassembling a '63 Renault Dauphint. I found a spare 406 sbc engine in the corner of the garage and the Renault seems a perfect place to park it.

Darrell Bryan and RoadRunner5 like this.
  2. Old28

Old28

Well Bob, that Reo is one fine looking American Style Hot Rod. Not sure you can post something that nice on our other site.:confused::cool:

3. Bob, no problem thanks for the reply. Props on the Reo, looks good!

4. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Friday I lost my mind and bought this Bantam body It is really, really nice.

5. Old28

Old28

You are one lucky dog, that is a real clean looking body. Are we thinking racing, street or a little of each?

6. Bobw, I think one of your sixes would look good in front of that lil' bantam body.....just sayin

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sure stirred up my jealousy BIG time. That thing is beautiful. o_O

8. old sparks

old sparks

Very nice body. It looks like you'll have less work to do on it than I had to do on the plastic bantam I`m running

9. Old28

Old28

Bob, did you ever see any pictures of the Bantam Coupe from up Canada way that was for sale on the Bay? It was a full center steer drag car with a Ford 300 6 cylinder, PG that ran best of 11.25. What a cool car.

Did you get the other side door? It could be a 10.0 street bantum that you could go to the soda shop & make some passes at the strip on weekends.

10. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob, I just want'a die. I have been looking for one of those since I saw Gabby Bleeker run his blown Olds/Austin fuel altered at a 1320 meet at Oswego, IL in the early '60's. I thought at one time somebody made a glass repo but I haven't found any for sale.

11. old sparks

old sparks

There is a glass repo being made by fiberglass dave out of Ridgecrest ca. I have one. It was at eagle field for its first test runs, which was a total failure on my part. Be prepared to wait awhile, mine took five months to arrive.

12. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for giving me hope. Do you happen to have any contact info?

13. old sparks

old sparks

14. old sparks

old sparks

(760)793-6241 ask for dave, tell him dan gave you the number. be prepared to talk awhile

15. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks old sparks. I love to talk. Just ask my wife and kids.

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I've seen that car at several of the Thompson Gasser Reunion races:

[​IMG]

Did it sell? Where is it now? It was in the ONDR organization.

Darrell Bryan likes this.
  17. old sparks

old sparks

Wow. Put a gm motor in it and that car would be a twin of mine .So much for thinking that you have something different.

18. Old28

Old28

Flyer -- Don't know if it sold or if it is still in Canada. I was talking with the owner on trying to purchase it. Not able to make the deal. Turn key car and vary clean.

old sparks -- Get those pictures so we can compare rides. Looks like a nice weekend for T&T. :cool::rolleyes:

19. Old28

Old28

Well Bob, what are you working on in that nice heated shop now that winter has made an early appearance? Any idea's for that Bantam body yet?

Have a nice safe Holiday:):cool:

20. bobw

bobw

ood[​IMG]
    Thanks, Tom. I hope you heal fast and your quest for the coast goes smoothly.
    Currently I'm doing final assembly on the half cab Rover. Lots of details I skipped in the initial build so it is taking longer than it should.
    Last summer I made the mistake of perusing Craigslist and came across a very clean '63 Renault Dauphine. Looked like it could use a 406 sbc in front so I bought it. Pic above of the frame I built a week ago with narrowed MII front crossmember/steering, 700R4 and narrowed 8.8 Ford rear end. Should be a good scooter.
    No plans formulated for the Bantam yet. It will be a period build. Just not sure of the period yet.

21. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Very narrow steering rack on that unit. You narrow the rack?

22. Old28

Old28

Thanks Bob, make sure you post a few pictures on this thread or on RRR, as there is not a lot to follow this time of year. Did you narrow that 8.8 rear yourself?

Would love to see the Bantam set up like that look alike one that you shot at the drags a years ago (think you said it was a Study), would be great to have a solid street hot rod that could make 10.0 ET passes at the drags a few times a year and it is easier to get in and out of.

23. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    At this point all of the Renault suspension and running gear are gone.
    Crosley, I've narrowed a couple racks but this time I bought the rack from JW Hot Rod Garage.
    My good friend Jim in Atlanta had narrowed the rear end for a tubbed Mustang that didn't happen. He cut an additional 10" out of the housing for the Renault. The axles are currently at Moser Engineering for equivalent shortening.

Yes Tom it would be cool to make the Bantam a competitive racing partner for my friend's Stude.

RoadRunner5 likes this.
  24. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    First order of business, I am registered for the Meltdown Drags so hopefully I will get to line up against Bob Huberty with his slightly astray flathead HA/GR. At the 5 minute mark of the posted Youtube you can see Bob make a pass at last year's Meltdown.
    My buddies formed a committee to tell me how to build the Bantam. I guess they don't trust my judgement as the body has some local historical signifigance and they don't want me messing it up. However, I suggested if they don't have any skin in the project they don't have much sway regarding how I build it.
    Last fall my brother in Kansas gave me all his remaining car junk. Included was the 468 big block pictured here. I have recently picked up a 400 turbo trans, an 8 3/4 Mopar rear end and a Mopar steering box that works well for cowl steering. So while I'm working on the Rover and Renault I am finding deals on parts for the Bantam. The plan is to follow a mid-60's appearance and it will be street/NHRA legal strip.
    The first run in the video shows my friend Terry and his wife Lee's shortened Studebaker on a slow for them mid-10 second pass.

25. hoffbug

hoffbug

26. hoffbug

hoffbug

Haha.. Isnt there always a group of Garage Sallys telling you how to spend your time and money?

27. Old28

Old28

Well Bob, I am with you on the Street/Drag setup that you can do a little of each. Just a nice low 10.0 sec Hot Rod that you don't have to give NHRA any of your hard earned money to get chassis certs and a lic. Will be fun to see your Bantam and Terry & Lee's Studebaker paired up in the future. Looking forward to seeing a match race with your SDRA 300" rail & Bob's modified HA/GR dragster. You got a lot of building to do this winter.:cool::eek::)

28. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I keep an eagle eye on the local Craigslist looking for bargains. Sunday I got the Wilwood single master cylinder and pedal assembly and the Tilton twin master cylinder and pedal assembly for 50 bucks.
    When I drop the floor in the dragster I'll need to relocate the master cylinder and pedal. The single Wilwood will be a nice replacement for the junk I have in there now. The Tilton will go in the Renault.

29. Old28

Old28

Nice Craigslist fine on the two pedal setups. I am sure I will have to do the same setup when I get the rail out of storage and lower the floor. I will need to fab a new lowered rear PG mount also to get the foot space I need.

Just talked to the grandkids in MI on Monday and they were out of school on a "cold day" (to much black ice for school buses to run), been -4 to 10 deg for a week. Makes the heat in our area seem like a small thing.

30. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I bought some T Shirts from the SDRA guys in Tulsa. Cool stuff.

RoadRunner5 likes this.