Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door alignment help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fine29, Oct 22, 2014.

1. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out on door alignment on my coupe. I am drawing a blank right now on what needs to happen. The roof portion of the gap on the passenger side is too tight to even fit the door window top, while the drivers side is low in the back of the top. Both body lines are low and the bottoms are even although I believe the patches the po installed are incorrect. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414024076.797775.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414024089.047635.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414024100.880944.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414024110.848671.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. To make the body lines align. Shim the bolt just at the front of the door. When you tighten down on the cowl bolts that will lift the top rear of the door. Trial and error is all you can do. Be patient it may take forty eleven tries to get it right.

loudbang likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

hate to say it but it looks like someone should have shimmed the body, to get the doors to fit right, before patching the bottom of the quarters. The body line near the door handle has to line up, looks like the door is way low at the back. As he said, you can shim the body up at the cowl to raise the front of the door, some. Experiment, be patient. try something and post more pictures of what happens.

4. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I have new lower patches. The body doesn't have a stock subfloor anymore it was cut out a long time ago. It now has a 2x1 tubing sub floor. But it is only tacked in place.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

First check the door hinge pins for wear. With the door almost shut, lift the door up and down. If you feel any play in the pins they must be replaced.

With the hinges in good shape, and the latch pins removed, you can start to align the doors. If it is obvious the hole is the wrong shape, body sagged etc you must correct the sag first.

This is a common amateur restorer mistake, to weld up the body with the doors off never thinking about body sag or aligning the doors or getting the door openings the right shape and size.

I saw a Bentley ruined this way, someone did a lot of hard work replacing rusty floors and rocker panels, when they were done the doors wouldn't even close, they were that far off fitting. Bentleys have very narrow door gaps and NO adjustment.

6. This will be a dance, a repeating of steps over and over
    Ignore the bottom lines for now.

The B pillar is too high in relation to something on the the cowl, most likely the cowls foot.
    It could be the hinges too,The door gap at the cowl will tell you.
    Using shims and leverage as 325W says will get you there

7. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Hinges are good there is no door movement. It's definitely in the body.

8. Go over it with a tape measure , if the lines are as shown and the door is too tight you may need to cut it

9. Go over it with a tape measure , if the lines are as shown and the door is too tight you may need to cut it