Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I the only one that don't like the new format ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by langy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nothing to be sorry about man. All good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Hehehe. Yeah, good bunch of guys... dumb name. That's a story for another time.

Yes, I do. I guess what I don't get is why we have profile posts and conversations. There are a few other bells and whistles that I haven't figured out yet either.

I don't have a problem with the new HAMB anymore than I had a problem with the last version or the one(s) before that; there's a learning curve, no big deal. I do notice that the social groups are pretty much dead and a lot of people have stopped coming back and thought I'd point that out. Some people call it bitching, some call it constructive criticism. It's just a conversation at a different pace than if we were standing around with a beer in our hand.

I have no idea how the HAMB runs or what is involved behind the scenes. I also have no idea how Ryan has managed to keep a handle on it for so many years and not either A) sell it or B) say fuck it and pull the plug. Thanks for not doing either one.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't get that either... And the software doesn't allow you to easily get rid of profile posts. It's something I'm going to have to code myself. The profile posts are... stupid.

I can't imagine ever selling. The Jalopy Journal is part of my family. It's that personal... That being said, a lot would say I'm right in the middle of fucking this thing up right now!

BashingTin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Lol....just a growth spurt man. We all get achy when the bones have to get their stretch on. You're fine.

5. Always dug how you "calls em how you sees em".
    This place is still the shit.

6. Well I for one love the new format. I really like the ease of loading pictures now, the clean look and some of the upgrades to the PM system. Probably my favourite new feature is the one that hides quoted text unless you expand it. It was a serious pain before when people would continually quote posts that had a string of pictures attached and for two solid pages all you would get was the same pictures over and over again because 10 different guys would quote the post and not remove the pictures.

7. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey guys, this thread is reserved for NEGATIVE feedback only... So fuck off already, ok?

:)

9. We're out of mustard.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Difficult to navigate. Don't view as much anymore. Why mess with something that was successful?

11. How so? Your usage is up over the last three months. 4 posts since August after going 13 months with a single post...please be specific with whatever navigation issues you're having.

12. Whoops sorry:oops:. This place sucks!!! Is that better?:D

13. ihaterust

ihaterust
    from minnesota

Just a general comment. This site is extremely difficult to navigate through. For a traditional rodder I would have expected something a little more user friendly and simple. I will continue to struggle.

14. 117harv

117harv

Difficult, how so? You found your way here to the questions and suggestions section. Did you read the sticky at the top of this page?

15. I see that feature was added, thank you.

Oh wait, this is a negative thread,,,,, umm,,, give me a second,,,, ok, I got it, this feature SUCKS it should highlight a naked lady too. :)

16. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

{{{{ Me too the screen is way to bright...I have a hard time scanning for text...enough said...text to small...
    fix or go blind...}}}}

17. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I was a 3 time a day visiter. But just cannot get handle on this version. So after being here many times a day for the last 11 years, now find myself only checking in every few weeks. That bums me out.

18. There's probably some browser settings you can change that will increase the size of your text. Or try holding the "CTRL" key and scrolling the wheel on your mouse to change the size of the page. Sometimes just using a different browser can make an improvement, or even updating your current browser to the most recent version.

And don't forget that you can adjust your monitor's brightness and contrast to make things easier on the eyes. :cool:

19. What particular features or functions of the site are giving you troubles? The Pit Crew here seems to be constantly adjusting and tinkering and tweaking things to make the site run better. But they may not know there's a specific issue unless someone points it out to them. :rolleyes:

gwhite likes this.
  20. I think the PM thing isnt near as easy as it once was to use, and that is an issue. In the classified, if they cant reply on the ad (loved that change when it first came out, still do) and guys cant figure out the PM system now, I think any sales are harder to do, even helping a guy out with his wanted parts, even PMing a guy to a question he might have on other forums as well.

I know, for me, sometimes I prefer to PM an answer to a question rather than deal with all the keyboard cowboys that you can tell have never even touched an old car,let alone built one to finish.

It is harder for many to use the PM system now, but past that, I'm getting more and more used to the change.

21. I keep seeing people say this but I have yet to see anyone give any explanation as to what is harder about it other than the fact that a pop up doesn't let you know you have a message. It works essentially the same as it did before other than that one feature so maybe if someone could explain where the difficulty lies someone may be able to help with a solution.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  22. Ok,maybe its an isolated glitch but just this morning I had a hell of a time getting to the window that contains the "start conversation" button for a member. Generally its pretty easy but today it went right to his profile page. BTW there is no start convo button there. I knew what should have happened so I kept at it until I got the window. If A person doesn't know what is supposed to happen not only will they not be able to say what went wrong but likely just give up.

The lack of pop up instant message isn't the best. I have a few PMs that are not answered, I have no idea if they were ignored or not received. The old system has a "message read notification" if you chose to select it.

Just for comparison, what happens if you hear your door bell ? How many times a day/week do you go walk out to the curb and look into your mailbox.

23. Oh and for the last week or so , but just on my I phone, there's a cascade of flags 4 envelopes alternating grey and red. 2 lightning bolts alternating grey and red. There are no conversations that havent been read and I just ignore the news flash content.

24. I can't say I have ever had that happen but it may be something to report to Ryan. The glitch must have taken out the start conversation feature on the profile as well because there is a Start Conversation feature on everyone's profile page. It is right below the content tabs in the Interact section.

25. I just found this page via a fat finger key board mistake.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/find-new/4142790/profile-posts

It's 7 pages of" profile posts" that most (not all) seem to be misguided PMs dating back 1 month. I'd guess that it is based on a sliding last 30 days set up. So I'd have to say there is certainly a deficiency here. What I can't say is if it's the people, the visibility of the button, or the location of the button.

The versatility of the new private message or conversation system is by far superior to the old one, no doubt there. But when they say "the proof is in the pudding" one only needs to look at the link to see the proof of some sort of problem.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Those are profile posts... Not private conversations...

I'd like to get rid of profile posts entirely.

27. I understand what they are, however I believe by the content they were intended to be conversations.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Totally agree... and I think that happens a lot... And that's really the biggest reason I need to get rid of profile posts...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. I agree, Ryan. I think a lot of people are making the mistake of assuming we were engaged in a private conversation (myself included) when we were profile posting.