Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Oh man, they'll invite anyone...:D;)

2. daddio211

daddio211

No they won't, they didn't invite YOU! :D :D :D

3. I got a personal invite written in calligraphy and everything!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

daddio211 likes this.
  4. You're both daisy's if you don't show up!

daddio211 likes this.
  5. daddio211 likes this.
  6. cmarcus

cmarcus

Excited to open this thread up, and the body is on the frame. Go man go!!

7. Thanks. I'm excited to get her on the frame.

8. Sanded most of the pasanger side. Getting a little closer.

9. daddio211

daddio211

Coming to you LIVE from Kip's shop...

1413654432344.jpg 1413654450515.jpg 1413654485096.jpg

10. Sweet! Like the paint booth! Hand everybody a sanding block and get er done!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, Having just gone through the issues with glass track alignment in a chopped top car I wonder if you have gone through the exercise yet. I never considered that chopping the top would effect widow track geometry but it makes sense when I thought it through. Since the top of the window is narrower than the door, when we reduce the distance between them with the chop,we create an angle between the two that wasn't there originally. Apparently when the tops get lowered, the angle to the door's window top gets increased and the original track's direction wants to send glass towards the outside and puts glass in an ever increasing bind. When I cut and trimmed masonite for glass templates I didn't use the hard tempered type. Consequently the untempered type could flex enough to allow for smooth travel but when I installed the non flexible glass it began to bind as it moved up onto the window frame. The trouble was mainly during the transition out of the door track into the window frame. I had the same binding rolling the glass back down.My solution was to pull both door track upper ends to the inside about a 1/32- 1/16.
    It was as scary as a "Bella Lagosi flick trying to pull this off with all the finished paint everywhere.Having had to go through that I wanted to give you a heads up before you went to paint. I suggest you get your templates made from a material that will mimic the glass as much as possible and insure that all is well before you go to paint. The same goes for the rear window track. I hope this will benefit you and any another top choppers.
    Best regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

OK, So at Bonneville in '08 we spent a few days parked next to these guys? We were the old drunks in the primed '53 pickup. The super charged Packard powered roadster is one of the best built cars I have seen on the road. The details blew me away!
    [​IMG]

13. daddio211 likes this.
  14. I tried to get everyone sanding but had no takers on such a nice fall afternoon.

daddio211 likes this.
  15. Thank KB. Glass is still one thing I am working on.

16. Brian's roadster is Bad Ass with subtle details everywhere.

daddio211 likes this.
  17. My NAVARRO heads came Friday so I spent some time sanding on them today to get them ready for polishing.

daddio211 likes this.
  18. With the bodywork getting close I thought I had better get the skirts mounted. I wanted to bolt them on so they couldent come off accidently so I made some tabs and had a friend weld them to the skirts. then after I put the skirts on I made tabs to weld to the fenders. With the tabs welded to the fenders I can finish the bodywork on the fenders and with a spacer tacked between the tabs everything is solid. The skirts are the last body pcs not in primer so this week I will work on prepping them.

daddio211 likes this.
  19. Sunday I spent hours taking one head from 80 grit to 2000 grit so one is ready for polishing and now I can start on the other.

daddio211 likes this.
  20. I like the bolting idea for the fender skirts. That'll keep them nice and solid. Whats the usual way for holding the skirts on?

21. Voh

Voh

[​IMG]

Are the fender skirts homemade?

22. Most skirts have a 1/4" bar or tab that hooks in the front lip of the fender and then a lever that hooks on the rear lip and then the handle swings up and hooks on the lower lip of the skirts.

23. No. They are 41 Buick. I have been told they are early Fox Craft but I am not sure of the make.

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

OK, It's been over four hours. I'm calling a doctor.:eek: The skirts are beautiful.

25. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, yours look almost identical to the pair I have and didn't use that were supposed to be 36 ford. You have managed to make the tail of the skirt blend into the fender perfectly. I like the little squiggle detail on the front where you installed the bracket, it looks like that may have been your modification. The pair I rejected have the latching mechanism and a small flair along the lower edge. Because they don't fit the wheel well perfectly their secure mounting is suspect. Since yours also sit outside the well, how do you secure the top side? Is there some kind of "U" hook to catch the top of the well? You're wise to fab Buick style mounting for yours. The Buicks used the same size bolts as the lug nuts which I thought was pretty smart as well. I finally found a pair of flush fitting original 36 ford skirts. When I initially installed them I found out how bent-up my fenders really were. That was at the stage when I thought my fenders were in pretty good shape. So after a couple more days of fender work, each side needed different adjustments, I now have skirts that latch on snuggly without needing bolts and brackets. It looks like you are starting to close in on the details. I'm looking forward seeing your frame completed with the overdrive installed. You'll probably be painting before you do the marriage.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

26. Thanks for the clarification.

27. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Just went through all the pages on the build and I loved it, but I cant see 1/2 the pics from the 9th page to the 23rd.

Your doing a fabulous job on one of my dream cars to build. Keep it up.

28. A friend of mine finished his 36 3window and had a couple extra sets of skirts. He brought me a nice set of original 36 ford flat sides but the 41 buick bubble skirt are what cought my eye. they were about 1/4" to short so I bought another set that was a little taller and very nice but they were to long and dident look quite right so back to the Buick's. Rather than lengthen the whole skirt I decided to add 1/2" to the front only witch rocked them up in the front and that and gave them a different bottom line than any others I had seen.
    I think that I will paint the firewall and the edges underneath and then set her back on her frame and bolt her down and realign the gaps before final paint. That way any damage that might occur can be addressed before final paint.
    Good to hear from you. Later Kipp

29. When the format changed all the pictures disappeared. I have been slowly re adding them whyle trying not to spend to much car time on the computer.
    Thanks. Later Kipp