Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Your Christmas List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Runnin shine, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Friends and family have started to ask for my Christmas wish list. It is the same as every year. I just want hot rod parts, although I'll probably just get socks and stupid graphic T-shits I won't wear( although I will wear a 3WLarry " patiently waiting" shirt) or keep for too long. I understand we can be a persnickety bunch and you can't just get these things at a big box store. I just hope one good surprise awaits me on Christmas morn this year.
    So what is the best Hot Rod gift you have received please share I'm curious, thanks HAMB'rs.

"I need my mirror boy"

2. If there's something I need, I need it now! So, I wind up buying the stuff...new grinder recently, or mig etc. I think the best thing is like a subscription to your favorite magazine or something related to cars that you don't want to spend money on. I'd rather spend my money on the car! Tim

3. I always give the Boss Lady a list of things I wont buy for myself,socks,drawers and regular shirts without a shop logo on them,,you know normal guys stuff.

But come Christmas morning there is always something that excites me that Santa brings and is wrapped nicely....because I bought it myself...good old Danny Claus! :D HRP

4. Half dozen pair of sox are an annual thing.
    My wife and I aren't big on shopping for presents, so we just stuff money in with each others Christmas cards.

5. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

I always buy myself a few things for under the tree along with the kids stuff. Works well!

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D What do I want for Christmas?A million bucks in the bank,and the rest of my life off.:p
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. porky55

porky55

My family always asked me what to get my wife and vise versa. This years she "wants" a set of chrome valve covers for the desoto project

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

timwhit and Runnin shine like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D I like that, this year Larry Claus is bringing me a new Winters V8 nostalgia quick change. And the brakes for it. :)

The missus is getting me an Eastwood powder coating kit.
    And there will be the usual assortment of other stuff.
    Like Purdy's chocolates (sweet Georgia browns) mmmm :)

Runnin shine likes this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If even one of you fellas says " a henry roadster shell" I'll start drinking eggnog from here on out until I won't be able to open anything on the 25th, Wyatt.

"I need my mirror boy"

10. As my mom was found of saying.."Wish in one hand a sh*t in the other and see which one fills up the fastest"....I think that says it all. HRP

olcurmdgeon, Runnin shine and i.rant like this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That's what my pops always said. He sure was a grumpy cuss. His favorite was... Me: "where you going Dad? Him: "Crazy!" as he closed the door.

"I need my mirror boy"

12. Now if Santa mamma really wanted to be good to me, she'd stick that banger powered 27 track T that I've always wanted under the tree. Gotta be real Henry steel, with real Curtis nose, hood & belly pan.

Runnin shine likes this.
  13. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I normally get my own gift and pass it off to Mrs Clause to wrap; usually something old and dirty. I was looking at a complete tri power setup for a great price. I told Mrs Clause about my plan and she quickly asked me to run a stupid errand. When I got back I responded to the ad and the darn thing was gone. I complained to her about it but she said I shouldn't have waited it was my fault.

...I was pretty surprised when it was sitting under the tree. I should have known.

Runnin shine likes this.
  14. Last year I finally got the 471 blower, and drive. This year I need a complete chute setup! :rolleyes::D

15. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Last year I got a 50s Hemi valve cover to hang on the shop wall. That was unexpected, my son came up with that one. Usually I get garage related stuff like welding gloves, or small hand tools that need to be replaced. My wife and Me are both really bad at getting whatever we need when we need it, so gift exchange is difficult. usually my wife and I don't exchange big gifts. Our need for material things has diminished significantly over the years. Gene

16. That was one of my dads too. He also said son if your going to wish Make it a bottomless bucket of 20 dollar bills and you will never need anything. It only took me to my early teenage years to under stand what he meant.

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. I could name a lot of things, but what I would like most would be for the nerve pain in my legs gone so I could enjoy what I have for whatever time I have left above ground.

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. A long legged red head in a 2 door tudor!
    Please

19. I'm wanting this, but I'll settle for my loved ones being safe and happy.
    This seems to be becoming more important as I get older. IMG_20141115_142445.JPG

timwhit and Runnin shine like this.
  20. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas.I said a gas sending unit and speedometer cable for the 56 buick station and she said no what do YOU want?.I said that's what I wanted and she said ok lol.Bruce. 003.JPG

Arabie777 and Runnin shine like this.
  21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I'd even take that with a 4 door!

22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

So, so true Tim. But you know sir from my previous rants I don't have the luxury of being allowed to buy something right when I need it. So I look for any angle I can to plead my case for hot rod completion, I even asked for something on the kids birthday. On a good note Mrs. Claus has let me spend money a month deeper into the holidays this year so I'm that much closer. Tis the season.

"I need my mirror boy"

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Bought myself new shoes and shirts over the interweb and only have some car bits and pieces in CA ready to send downunder. I just need to sort out all the fiddly bits now; hose ends, clamps, attaching brackets, bulkhead fittings etc to finish the buying list. It's never ending!! I nearly forgot, I'd better get some gifts for the family but need to leave some $$ for that much needed and long overdue holiday in 3mths. :D Oops, daughter has a birthday in 2wks as well.

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

BTT

"I need my mirror boy"

25. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

BEST Christmas story - lesson EVER!

A CHRISTMAS STORY TO REMEMBER
    It was Christmas Eve 1881. I was fifteen years old and feeling like the world had caved in on me because there just hadn't been ...enough money to buy me the rifle that I'd wanted for Christmas.

We did the chores early that night for some reason. I just figured Pa wanted a little extra time so we could read in the Bible. After supper was over I took my boots off and stretched out in front of the fireplace and waited for Pa to get down the old Bible.

I was still feeling sorry for myself and, to be honest, I wasn't in much of a mood to read Scriptures. But Pa didn't get the Bible instead he bundled up again and went outside. I couldn't figure it out because we had already done all the chores. I didn't worry about it long though I was too busy wallowing in self-pity.

Soon Pa came back in. It was a cold clear night out and there was ice in his beard. "Come on, Matt," he said. "Bundle up good, it's cold out tonight." I was really upset then. Not only wasn't I getting the rifle for Christmas, now Pa was dragging me out in the cold, and for no earthly reason that I could see. We'd already done all the chores, and I couldn't think of anything else that needed doing, especially not on a night like this. But I knew Pa was not very patient at one dragging one's feet when he'd told them to do something, so I got up and put my boots back on and got my cap, coat, and mittens. Ma gave me a mysterious smile as I opened the door to leave the house. Something was up, but I didn't know what..

Outside, I became even more dismayed. There in front of the house was the work team, already hitched to the big sled. Whatever it was we were going to do wasn't going to be a short, quick, little job. I could tell. We never hitched up this sled unless we were going to haul a big load. Pa was already up on the seat, reins in hand. I reluctantly climbed up beside him. The cold was already biting at me. I wasn't happy. When I was on, Pa pulled the sled around the house and stopped in front of the woodshed. He got off and I followed.

"I think we'll put on the high sideboards," he said. "Here, help me." The high sideboards! It had been a bigger job than I wanted to do with just the low sideboards on, but whatever it was we were going to do would be a lot bigger with the high side boards on.

After we had exchanged the sideboards, Pa went into the woodshed and came out with an armload of wood - the wood I'd spent all summer hauling down from the mountain, and then all Fall sawing into blocks and splitting. What was he doing? Finally I said something. "Pa," I asked, "what are you doing?" You been by the Widow Jensen's lately?" he asked. The Widow Jensen lived about two miles down the road. Her husband had died a year or so before and left her with three children, the oldest being eight. Sure, I'd been by, but so what?

Yeah," I said, "Why?"

"I rode by just today," Pa said. "Little Jakey was out digging around in the woodpile trying to find a few chips. They're out of wood, Matt." That was all he said and then he turned and went back into the woodshed for another armload of wood. I followed him. We loaded the sled so high that I began to wonder if the horses would be able to pull it. Finally, Pa called a halt to our loading then we went to the smoke house and Pa took down a big ham and a side of bacon. He handed them to me and told me to put them in the sled and wait. When he returned he was carrying a sack of flour over his right shoulder and a smaller sack of something in his left hand.

"What's in the little sack?" I asked. Shoes, they're out of shoes. Little Jakey just had gunny sacks wrapped around his feet when he was out in the woodpile this morning. I got the children a little candy too. It just wouldn't be Christmas without a little candy."

We rode the two miles to Widow Jensen's pretty much in silence. I tried to think through what Pa was doing. We didn't have much by worldly standards. Of course, we did have a big woodpile, though most of what was left now was still in the form of logs that I would have to saw into blocks and split before we could use it. We also had meat and flour, so we could spare that, but I knew we didn't have any money, so why was Pa buying them shoes and candy? Really, why was he doing any of this? Widow Jensen had closer neighbors than us; it shouldn't have been our concern.

We came in from the blind side of the Jensen house and unloaded the wood as quietly as possible then we took the meat and flour and shoes to the door. We knocked. The door opened a crack and a timid voice said, "Who is it?" "Lucas Miles, Ma'am, and my son, Matt, could we come in for a bit?"

Widow Jensen opened the door and let us in. She had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. The children were wrapped in another and were sitting in front of the fireplace by a very small fire that hardly gave off any heat at all. Widow Jensen fumbled with a match and finally lit the lamp.

"We brought you a few things, Ma'am," Pa said and set down the sack of flour. I put the meat on the table. Then Pa handed her the sack that had the shoes in it. She opened it hesitantly and took the shoes out one pair at a time. There was a pair for her and one for each of the children - sturdy shoes, the best, shoes that would last. I watched her carefully. She bit her lower lip to keep it from trembling and then tears filled her eyes and started running down her cheeks. She looked up at Pa like she wanted to say something, but it wouldn't come out.

"We brought a load of wood too, Ma'am," Pa said. He turned to me and said, "Matt, go bring in enough to last awhile. Let's get that fire up to size and heat this place up." I wasn't the same person when I went back out to bring in the wood. I had a big lump in my throat and as much as I hate to admit it, there were tears in my eyes too. In my mind I kept seeing those three kids huddled around the fireplace and their mother standing there with tears running down her cheeks with so much gratitude in her heart that she couldn't speak.

My heart swelled within me and a joy that I'd never known before filled my soul. I had given at Christmas many times before, but never when it had made so much difference. I could see we were literally saving the lives of these people.

I soon had the fire blazing and everyone's spirits soared. The kids started giggling when Pa handed them each a piece of candy and Widow Jensen looked on with a smile that probably hadn't crossed her face for a long time. She finally turned to us. "God bless you," she said. "I know the Lord has sent you. The children and I have been praying that he would send one of his angels to spare us."

In spite of myself, the lump returned to my throat and the tears welled up in my eyes again. I'd never thought of Pa in those exact terms before, but after Widow Jensen mentioned it I could see that it was probably true. I was sure that a better man than Pa had never walked the earth. I started remembering all the times he had gone out of his way for Ma and me, and many others. The list seemed endless as I thought on it.

Pa insisted that everyone try on the shoes before we left. I was amazed when they all fit and I wondered how he had known what sizes to get. Then I guessed that if he was on an errand for the Lord that the Lord would make sure he got the right sizes.

Tears were running down Widow Jensen's face again when we stood up to leave. Pa took each of the kids in his big arms and gave them a hug. They clung to him and didn't want us to go. I could see that they missed their Pa and I was glad that I still had mine.

At the door Pa turned to Widow Jensen and said, "The Mrs. wanted me to invite you and the children over for Christmas dinner tomorrow. The turkey will be more than the three of us can eat, and a man can get cantankerous if he has to eat turkey for too many meals. We'll be by to get you about eleven. It'll be nice to have some little ones around again. Matt, here, hasn't been little for quite a spell." I was the youngest. My two brothers and two sisters had all married and had moved away.

Widow Jensen nodded and said, "Thank you, Brother Miles. I don't have to say, May the Lord bless you, I know for certain that He will."

Out on the sled I felt a warmth that came from deep within and I didn't even notice the cold. When we had gone a ways, Pa turned to me and said, "Matt, I want you to know something. Your ma and me have been tucking a little money away here and there all year so we could buy that rifle for you, but we didn't have quite enough.

Then yesterday a man who owed me a little money from years back came by to make things square. Your ma and me were real excited, thinking that now we could get you that rifle, and I started into town this morning to do just that, but on the way I saw little Jakey out scratching in the woodpile with his feet wrapped in those gunny sacks and I knew what I had to do. Son, I spent the money for shoes and a little candy for those children. I hope you understand."

I understood, and my eyes became wet with tears again. I understood very well, and I was so glad Pa had done it. Now the rifle seemed very low on my list of priorities. Pa had given me a lot more. He had given me the look on Widow Jensen's face and the radiant smiles of her three children. For the rest of my life, Whenever I saw any of the Jensens, or split a block of wood, I remembered, and remembering brought back that same joy I felt riding home beside Pa that night. Pa had given me much more than a rifle that night, he had given me the best Christmas of my life

[ beside *THIS* my Christmas wish is trivial :oops: ]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  27. papajohn

papajohn

Im asking for the same thing as every other year.
    Time.
    Time for myself, in the garage.
    Never seem to get enough of it.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  28. Already got mine slippers & the other to be mentioned at a later date. Maybe!!!

29. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Yea I uasualy get the socks and something else once a year from wife, but the good thing is if the socks are to big I can take them back !! Just kidding lol ! I want a 53 chevy grille center bar and 3 teeth

30. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I kin reccomend a great dentist :rolleyes::):D