Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Cadillac Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CadMad, Aug 8, 2014.

1. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

2. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Wow ! Without those pics no one will ever know it's a kustom!...i mean it in a good way ;)

3. Ummmm; what they said..
    Congrats on sorting out the top hardware. Norma Jean transformed into Marilyn..

4. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

This is a great looking picture, crap, tools, and junk all over the floor and the car being work in the center. Who ever came up the the black and white tile floors?

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

This beauty needs a bench seat up front in my opinion. But everything else is done so damn well, I should probably wait to see what you do with the buckets before I say that.

Seriously though...this car is spectacular. That top is pure art (both of them)

6. CadMad

CadMad

Yes, I confess that when I am in "the zone" I tend to be messy. I kind of focus on the doing and not the cleaning up, eating, sleeping, going to the toilet etc. picture me as Jackson Pollock or Jack Kerouac of the custom scene. hehe. mind you they were both dead younger than I.

7. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Bitchin

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

8. Eric H

Eric H

Really really amazing!

9. Impressive work going on there . Good for you . It will be a very nice Cadillac when your done !

10. Funny how the HAMB works. I was looking at the amazing drawings of Janne Kutja's and I came across his Cady pic. Which led me to your thread. Amazing work Mr Lonewolfnightrider....

You made me late for work this morning. Keep up the good work!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Note to self........pick up jaw and tongue from floor.

I got nothin'. That's just incredible. Nothing less. Well.....you're incredible....there ya' go. That's it.

12. CadMad

CadMad

Ok, ok! If my head gets any bigger. . . I'll have to unchop the
    roof. A huge thankyou to Rik Hoving. This car wouldn'tlook like this without Rik's involvement. If you are planning a build seriously consider using his design talent.

13. tuunanen

tuunanen
    from Finland

Hi!
    That's nice project you got here. Haven't seen anything like that before.
    I have also been planing same kind of project about two years (after the I got my '55 Caddy finished). Four months ago I found '40 Caddy from Michigan and bought it to here Finland.
    Month ago friend sent me link about your project and told that some guy from Australia is building same kind of kustom, WTF!! Luckily we are living in opposite sides of the Globe! :D

My plan is built 2-door Roadster with Duvall-style windshield and soft-top. I'm trying to build very long and low 'coupe rear. Here is some pics from my project: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129186651@N08/

Wish you merry X-mas and all the luck with you project! IMG_0041_pienempi.jpg

36 ROKIT, koolkemp and SicSpeed like this.
  14. CadMad

CadMad

Gday Tuunanen, they say great minds think alike.
    I couldnt open the flicker pics off my ph. Ill try to look onmy computer tonite.
    I extended my trunklid and sectioned the trunk sides. It really helped to get the bum to flow better. Look at my pics carefully prior to doing it cos You need to put a filler piece in above the fender lips.
    Glad these Caddies are finally getting some attention. They are just beautiful. Why dont you start athread on the CCC or here or both. Merry Christmas. Quentin.

15. CadMad

CadMad

There is a revolution afoot , I tell you. Hamber John Walker sent me these pics a few weeks ago. Hope it is ok I post them John??? You might see that he used the trunk from a 41 coupe so it has adifferent rear profile to mine. Looking good and all have slightly different styles. The great thing with Customs. All different. All Unique. 1940 John Walker custom.jpg 1940 John Walker Rear.jpg 1940 John Walker Side.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Wow, that's going to be a very handsome car too!

17. CadMad

CadMad

Been awhile since i did much as i was away for amonth. Back onit and tackling lots of structural details around the rps20150123_223016.jpg rps20150121_201322.jpg parade boot. Built up a frame to locate alock . Not gonna have a back seat. will be a trimmed out"extra cab" if you like. rps20150123_223016.jpg

DirtyNapkin and flynbrian48 like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car just gets better every time I open up the thread.

19. CadMad

CadMad

Another day of work around the parade boot. Tidying up small details. Really happy with t rps20150126_195243.jpg rps20150125_170330.jpg rps20150126_195151.jpg he result. Smooth streamline look i wanted.

20. Looks fantastic, great job!

21. Deadbeat63

Deadbeat63

I have a '38 4 door RHD in my driveway, rego'd and running, and I'm struggling to see why I shouldn't chop it up haha.
    This is an awesome project and a great build!!

MadcowMuz and ratty_aussie like this.
  22. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

The last pic...wow.Looks wonderful.Really look forward to the day you gonna lower this piece of art.Great work.

23. morac41

morac41

Hi Quentin....This is a great art deco creation.....marvelous fabrication work.....Doug

24. CadMad

CadMad

The best thing i ever did on this build was approach Rik Hoving to do a few proposals with photoshop. I knew exactly what I wanted and what I didnt. Rik has such a lot of knowledge on both the aesthetics and the technical details.
    The soft top that will operate when the hardtop is off, requires a higher b bow than the hardtop roof. I was concerned about the look as it also neededa shrt bow at the rear window to fit it all under the parade boot.
    So Rik came to the rescue and photoshopped theoverlay of a softtop to my existing dimensions to give me a feel for the aesthetics. rps20141202_204525.jpg RHK-Quentin-39-Cad-Folding-Top-04.jpg RHK-Quentin-39-Cad-Folding-Top-03.jpg Quintin-progress-side-soft-top.jpg

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

That soft top looks perfect. You sir have the eye. Awesome fabrication.

26. Pete

Pete

Wow dude.... Hats off.... Great job

27. CadMad

CadMad

Made a header for the soft tp last night. Also put cable operated release handle on the parade boot as well as finished up the structural support. Crossing little jobs off the list one by one. rps20150130_202228.jpg rps20150130_202141.jpg rps20150130_202108.jpg rps20150130_202029.jpg rps20150130_201949.jpg

36 ROKIT, lowcoe and DirtyNapkin like this.
  28. morac41

morac41

Hi Quentin..Really intrested in the fabrication of the header bar pieces on the windscreen frame..want to do the same on my 41 Caddy to fit a Carson top

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That's a very nice looking convertible top, but it looks a little too small for the mass of the body. I suggest moving the rear edge of the top (where it contacts the parade boot) rearward 2 or 3 inches, without changing any of the bow positions or heights. I think a little more rake to the rear panel of the top would integrate it more successfully with the body shape.

I completely agree that Rik is an invaluable resource for a project of this type. He certainly has made a huge contribution to the success of my own phantom convertible project.