Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 700r4 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatmotor40, Feb 28, 2015.

1. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Has anyone ran a 700r4 without any wiring to make the converter lockup.Just picked up my 700 for the 2nd time out since Nov 8.And he said do not wire for lockup converter to 4th gear as I took all the wiring out and the trans will do it on its on.Any trans rebuilder out here that can chime in on this.Took pan off to put drain plug in and the od solonid has no wires at all.He has put 2 different valve bodys in and still no good shifting.Need all the help I can get.He said put it in an drive it and adjust the Lokar cable to get shift right.Thanks for all the help I can get

2. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My guy built one for me with a manual lock up valve body & converter. No wiring switches needed. The TV cable will control your shift points and can be adjusted accordingly. You can also change the weights & springs on the governor gear to fine tune the shift points. Is it not shifting at all ?

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

For starters you want the TV cable all the way out while the throttle is all the way to the floor. You can adjust the tv cable 1 or 2 clicks at a time until it feels good. Keep the test drives short until it's adjusted properly.

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Please tell us more about the no wires manual lockup valve body.

5. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is only on the real early 700s, I believe.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If the tranny has a converter shift valve it can be set up with no elc. Some valve bodies have a plug in that hole that you can install the converter shift valve in and make them work the same way. Then the later models stopped having the hole in the valve body.

7. 1930 A

1930 A

If you have an early valvebody (pre 86) it should have a convertor valve in it. You can put a 5/16 checkball in the lockup solenoid and the convertor should lockup when the valve moves. Only problem is it will not unlock until you slow down enough for the valve to go into the unlock position or the trans downshifts.

8. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I am running second generation with no wires. Works fine. Make sure the tv cable is correct.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

10. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks I thought he was pulling my leg again.Before it would not go in OD then change valve body and it would not shift down without bucking all over the road.Having a time with him

11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thanks Joker ,that was an interesting read.

12. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

And be sure that the "geometry" is correct on the carb linkage. (TV Cable install)

13. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks.Will install it and if it is bad will take it him for the last time and last him fix it.