Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9" axle seals?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Mar 29, 2015.

1. I've had a 9" housing made up from using 8" Maverick (I think) axle tubes in a F100 9" centre section.
    Trying to work out what axle seals I need? As the Maverick was never a Australian car no one can tell me what bearings it needs.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427688721.990181.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427688750.501261.jpg
    I have just spent a hour of my life trying to work out the seal part number with our local bearing supplier with no outcome.
    Anyone know the timken or SKF part number?

2. Thanks, but is that a front wheel bearing seal and not a rear?
    The outside area to hold the seal is almost the same as the actual axle bearing. Needs to be about 3" OD.
    Also will need to step in to clear the axle bearing hold in ring.
    Is this a actual Maverick housing end???

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

3. Ford used one bearing/seal combo on the 8", this was also used on most 9" rears (AKA the 'small bearing' end). OD of the bearing and seal are as shown in the links above. This bearing end uses 3/8" bolts to retain the backing plate. The large bearing end uses a 3.1496" bearing and uses 1/2" bolts. The axle seal goes in first, behind the bearing in both cases. There's also a odd-ball end used on some late trucks/cars that's bigger than the 'big bearing', it measures 3.153" and again uses 1/2" bolts.

If what you have isn't any of these, then it's not a 8/9" end....

4. Looks like a regular local 28 spline 9" small housing to me.

5. The axles I have are cut down 28 spline from a 65 Galaxy, the roller bearing sits in perfectly in the housing and bolts in with 3/8 bolts.
    Told this is a "small housing flange"
    There was a seal in the housing that was removed when the diff guy built it.
    Unfortunately after trying all 3 common axle seals none even look close to fitting,,,

6. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427712087.654189.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427712115.705514.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427712147.312999.jpg

Just went outside at 945 this evening to take these photos.
    Most of the 8" and 9" diffs I have come across "neck in" just past where the bearing race fits and is machined for a axle seal.
    This is different

7. nobby

nobby

hello please
    what is the od of the axle half shaft where the seal sits.
    as, 'I THINK'
    for example....
    the big block mustang from say 1971, uses a small bearing, BUT although the od is 2.88
    the ID is bigger '31 spline
    so you 'MIGHT' need that seal

for.. it stands to reason that your cut down big bearing shafts, although 28 spliners will have the fatter girth at the bearing and thus seal....

p.s. you may be in a whole heap of trouble regarding brakes, for .....
    have you checked the offset - is it 2.5 inches

you may have to run the 10 by 2 brakes? - I am Unsure about that.
    all I know is the big block stang 10 by 2 stuff is uniqueist and expensive.

8. nobby

nobby

oh dear - I think you have cut the shoulder from your bearing housing off - that the seal sits against
    OOOOPPPSSS
    the second recess in on yours ISN'T where the seal sits
    it 'would have been' the next one
    yes - I am holding an axle end in my hands

9. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]

you can get the w202 bearing with a o-ring seal that runs around the perimeter
    BUT you 'still may have 2.88 od and big bearing inner - so they may not be available
    hmmmm

10. No, the axle tubes were not touched, they were cut off at the other end and slipped into a big shoulder centre ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427714745.129399.jpg

Attached Files:

11. This is getting more confusing by the minute, the Galaxy axles are setup to take 11" x 2 1/2 brakes, I plan to use common Australian Falcon 10" x 2 1/2 brakes that have the same offset.
    Is the "seal holder" a press in part or completely welded to the flange?
    It did have a seal when I dropped it off when it was still a 8"

12. nobby

nobby

yes,my mistake.
    thee are 3 steps to heaven
    bearing
    space for collar
    rebate for seal
    wasw the camera angle

-usually the tube rides over the rebate of the seal - it seems like yours butts to it

13. Buckster

Buckster

A passenger car's 9" differential's axle seal is Victor no. 46121. NAPA no. 13738. National no. 9568.

14. I am not good with part numbers but if you will measure the hole (in inches please) I will go to the parts store and pick you up a pair or get you the part number.

Seems like the easiest solution to me.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  15. Never seen a end like that.... These look like they may have been modified, as 'normal' Ford bearing ends have a collar that fits inside the axle tube (and helps locate it) and that's where the recess for the seal is machined into. On yours it appears the tube extends to just short of the bearing, no collar and no seal recess.

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Big IF here..Seems like a tapered roller bearing [considered heavy duty] that has an OD "O" ring and built in oil seal would work as wouldn't need the inner seal and may actually need some oil from gears to lube...How ever I have never seen this in any smaller size than the large 3.150 OD bearing...An inventive machinist could make you an adaptor to get you a seal in the right area to work..

17. Thanks all, I will be sending my diff builder a link to this postings, he said on the phone there should be no problem in finding a seal that fits but no so,,,
    All I know is when I dropped off this diff as a 8" housing it had a old dried up seal in the housing end. Now it is one big hole.

18. Canus

Canus

Why don't you measure the OD of the axle where the seal would contact and the ID of the housing where the seal would go and maybe we/someone can come up with the correct seal for you.

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

YES, or even a bushing to boost the seal od to housing size..If your Differential builder changed it, then should find the damn seal!!!!

20. Found a seal, yes it has modified in the past as a guess to take big axles
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427842591.875707.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427842618.195288.jpg
    Finally can get it together

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Good!! Now a whole bunch of people learned something..Can you post a Part Number? How did you find it?..As an after thought I hope where the seal is residing that there is enough wall thickness left for adequate strength...

22. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Glad you got it worked out , here's a pic from one of my old late 70s BCA/NATIONAL catalogs , seals listed in the left column, bearings to right. Flux
    image.jpg