Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Spanky65

Spanky65

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

David, I'm not thinking about any shows at the moment. After all this thrashing I need to have a break, maybe a summer off?
    It looks like the front bumper assy (compared to the original) needs a shim on the lower side of the brackets to tip it back a bit. Oh...and although the car looks great outside, it's not ready to be under the lights.

Thanks Rik for the assist.

3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Jer, I don't blame you for needing a rest. Enjoy some "you" time, then get back on it when you're recharged. Well done!

4. vwdave30

vwdave30

Looking at this picture the bumper looks fine i dont think it needs a shim i think it looks tilted back in that other pic because the pic is at a slightly diff angle

Attached Files:

5. Perhaps Jesse was "nerfed" at sometime or other, since they do look the same on the profile pics as vwdave noticed. Since these customs were most time daily drivers a "bump" could easily have been the cause of an upturned bumper.

mmm, such a nice car...
    -Dave

vwdave30 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  6. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Congratulations Jerry! The car is absolutely beautiful, a real tribute to the original. It became clear during this build that you have the vision backed up by a serious skill set and compromise is not in your vocabulary. Thank you for doing this build and sharing all the details with the HAMB community. Dave

loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.
  7. Torchie

Torchie

Agree with Dave on the bumper Jer. I forget what pic I was looking at(I think one of the car when it was sold)and the bumper had that tilt. My first thought was that somebody had backed into the front bumper.
    Like others I have been watching this since the first day you posted. Another beautiful job Jer.
    Torchie.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Eric H likes this.
  8. Eric H

Eric H

Great work! It's been a blast to watch.

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks for the kind words. When I'm caught up in the middle of a project like this it's hard to see the whole rather than all the separate piece's. I wouldn't consider doing something like this without you.

I think I need to find a solid un-moveable wall, and good traction, with impacts at 5, 10, 15 mph and see what I end up with.

The glass guy has started putting the windshield garnish moldings on, here come the Appleton's.

Pinstriper40, loudbang and Spanky65 like this.
  10. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Ha ha... I think you should just reshape the bumper brackets a little instead of that "authentic" bending. :D
    The pic that shows Jesses car shows an up bent bumper that probably got hit and your is slightly looking down. Those 1946 bumpers are tricky to get right and need to be a bit up in the middle instead of what looks good. without the guards. I had to reshape my brackets after installing the guards. The guards need to be mounted when adjusting the angle. Jer, you know what I am talking about, even if this sounds like mumbo-jumbo to the rest of you... :D

And yes! We are waiting for the Appletons! :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    OzMerc39 and Eric H like this.
  11. jivin jer

jivin jer

003 (2).JPG The glass guy is still under the weather. He did come out yesterday and put in a few hours and had to go home to rest. We're gettin' there.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    OzMerc39, Eric H and Spanky65 like this.
  12. Spanky65

Spanky65

CCC-jesse-lopez-michelle-08.jpg
    I don't know if the picture has been posted on here. You can see the car in primer and no hood running a McCullough supercharger.

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

The latest TRJ. Many thanks to Pat Ganahl for defining the difference between a clone, and a recreation. 004 (3).JPG 001 (7).JPG 003.JPG Sorry about picture quality.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    daddio211 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

So we all know you like building them and now that it's finished what's the next project in your head? :rolleyes:

Tanoki likes this.
  15. jivin jer

jivin jer

I do intend to answer this question.

BIGREDTODD, MannyK, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

The suspense is killing me!

17. loudbang

loudbang

HA I knew you had yet one more build running around in the back of your fertile mind.

18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

If ever a car was destined to be featured in TRJ, this is it. I would love to see that happen.

19. second that, great build !

20. jivin jer

jivin jer

The front bumper assy is straight without any creative bashin'. 003 (5).JPG

OzMerc39, TonyVan, MUNDSTER and 2 others like this.
  21. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

22. rustythumb

rustythumb

i wonder if jesse's car had the '46 bumper mounted on the '41 brackets? that might cause the angle.

23. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Hope all is well with you. Still hope to see the car with Appletons mounted.

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

I have to say that these last weeks have been like a massive sigh of relief as I see the end looming before me. I’m also experiencing a huge case of euphoria as this effort enters its last days (?) . Junior warned me that this was waaay more work than his car was. I did know that in the theoretical sense but brushed it aside as the excitement of this new project took over. All of the mini projects have morphed into the one big effort coming together, and the to do lists get shorter and shorter.

I washed (hot and soapy) the underside of the car and was able to touch up the painted areas as they needed it.
    001 (8).JPG 002 (4).JPG 003 (7).JPG

Eric H, daddio211, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  25. The undercarriage cleaned up pretty nicely Jer. Pleased to have the update too, as I was wondering how the final stages were coming along!

Customizing a sixty year old car is quite the project compared to - say - working on a six year old car. Jesse was probably right about the effort involved!

Dave

26. greybeard360

greybeard360

Jerry I haven't forgotten about you! I have been slammed with work at the shop and between the rain and now the heat.... I am beat! Did you find out about the regulator?

27. looking pretty spiffy Jer !

28. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey Jerry,that car is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see it in person when you enter it at GNRS 2016!hint hint

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well David, from where I'm sittin' GNRS looks doable.

BIGREDTODD and MUNDSTER like this.
  30. Spanky65

Spanky65

Hey Jerry are you going to make it out to The Invasion in Deep Ellum or Pistons and Paint?