Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I enjoy the videos. Thanks for editing them as you do

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

No sweat, fun doing it.

Here's the final pile, of only the "adjusted" parts.
    Not bad for an engine that stayed together, eh? :D

DSC00030.JPG

3. Old28

Old28

Well Dick, that is a fine assortment of USED HA/MGR motor parts. May want to back her down a few RPM's on those power shifts. :eek: Like we all said, glad your OK, motors can be replaced. :) Hard to believe the cam is broken in 3 pc. Look at it this way, you have a lot of stuff to make some new HAMB awords.

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

WOW!!:eek: You really did a good job on that one. Guess you won't be able to salvage much of the bottom end from that chaos. Thinking when that one decided it was done it really didn't want to be rebuilt.o_O Maybe we should cut back the nitro to 85% on the next engine.;)

5. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

holy crap! Looks like the crank shaft is near 4 pieces now. I did not know the slant 6 engine was only a 4 main bearing setup.

6. bobw

bobw

Dick, thanks for the information on the steering box. It looks like an ideal cowl steering setup. I realize you're up to your elbows in Leaning Tower of Carnage right now. Time to load another bullet in 'er

7. spanners

spanners

Was there anything that was salvageable?

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

He'll probably strain the oil through an old sock and use it in his lawnmower. :rolleyes:

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Funny you should mention that. :rolleyes:

I plan to replace the 15wt ATF in the gearbox with the used 30wt from the mill, in an effort to address the third gear synchro problems we've been having. :D

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Any progress on the new engine? Secret reports from the skunk works? Inquiring minds want to know. o_O

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Slowly getting the "new" engine together. She's a proper "first gen" block this time, with the slightly heavier crank from that run.
    Just finished notching the slugs, so trying to salvage the truck pan is up next.
    Have a Howard's cam on order for'er.

I've also located another 15 lbs here & there that I've consigned to the scrap pile. :)
    And will have a couple body mods to show off when she hits the bricks again, hopefully at ANRA, or at the latest, Fontana.

Anyway, here's a flick of'er in progress.

[​IMG]

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Progress is always good.

14. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I like the crank handle. Give me a big enough lever and I'll move the WORLD, Blahhahaha....!
    ( Seriously, I'm glad your alright, I laughed for an hour over the JB weld picture. That flip-top body is top-notch! ) thanks.

15. bobw

bobw

I like the shiny new parts. Since you had to notch the pistons did you find some that didn't hide way down the bore at TDC? Or was there massive decking of the block?

16. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Well I hear engine noise from the garage, YES! We're going racing, we're going racing.

17. spanners

spanners

But is it the right sort of engine noise? Is it 'brooooom brooooom' or more of a 'clinkety clank noise? Hang on , that's the sound of the broken engine.

18. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Definitely "vrooom, vrooooomm". :cool:
    Other than that little "clink" the "kit" mill was rather silent, actually. :D

19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The broom was used to sweep up the parts after he heard the clink. o_O

20. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Back home from Bako, and Butch's second ANRA meet of the year's series. Running a temporary replacement engine for the busted one, with a milder temporary cam. Hoping to have a proper engine (and new cam) in before the season's over. :)

I'll be hitting the Pit this coming weekend for Forever Four's annual Antique nationals next.

Here're the videos from both days, and here're a couple picks of the latest body mods, from our pit ......

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

Saturday's qual round one Joe & I lined up for HAMBie, with Joe earning the scarlet lamp award before roasting me soundly.
    The 'Brick turned in a careful first pass of 14.09 @ 97.63 for'er shake-down run.
    I also cut a .013 light, which eventually gave me pole position for Sunday's elims.

Second qual saw Jeana & I staging for HAMBie, with me taking my turn to cringe before the crimson glare of an insulted tree. The rest of the run was pretty close 'til Jeana had to stick third a second time, letting me go on ahead. I managed a 13.364 @ 100.20, with the last 300' tached out at 4700, and decided to dial 13.36 for Sunday.

Sunday's elims logged an odd number of cars, so my pole position rewarded me with a ladder bye run for first round. Fortunate, as I red lit (again :mad:), and broke out as well.
    I'd bumped the timing a bit, but only ran 13.351 @ 99.48 with'er, still peaked at 4700.

Second round I upped the timing a bit more, re-dialed at 13.33, and was so paranoid of the tree that I launched an embarrassing .449 rt. On top of which I ran a break-out 13.193 @ 101.32 for the loss. It was close enough that had I cut my normal light I'd have won, as the other car broke out by .180 to my .312 whilst chasing me down. She managed to crank out about 4800 for the last 300' this time.
    Fortunately I'd forgotten to turn the camera on for that run. :oops:

I did remember to turn it on for one of the return rides, this time along the fence side of the pits. :)

All in all a fun weekend, and at least the 'Brick's back together for the next few meets.
    Next stop, the Pit. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Liking that left front quarter shot with all the holes in the frame rail visible through the grill mesh. :D

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

From the videos, it sounds like it shifts into high gear better. Did you change anything in the linkage?

23. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Tom, that sounded better maybe because he "found" third gear

24. ThingyM

ThingyM

Ya kinda made a mess of that slantmotor ..Glad you got it back together, Was nice seeing you guys at the races..BTW for you that don't know, If you look at the second photo of Dicks car, Look across the lane to the left. That my truck , car, trailer with me in it..My ignition decided to take a dump on me..No spark, No go...Aint drag racing fun.?? Turning money into noise...

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Bob, sorry I missed responding to your post. That was rather a busy week. :rolleyes:
    I have .110" cut off the head, and that brings what's normally a clear engine up to just slightly an interference engine (cost me two shredded timing sets and some pushrods & valves bent one day up at Eagle Field to learn it). Going to cut some off the next block as well, just need to run the numbers.

Tom, no I didn't even pull the gearbox, just left it in the car, and pulled the mill off it. In fact I didn't even have time to change out the oil as I'd planned. So ...... the only guess I have as to why it's working better might be related to the tach. Perhaps shifting 1000 lower helps.

Dick, it was good to see you as well. Sorry you had to cut out early.

26. Old28

Old28

Congratulations on being the #1 qualifier in the "OPEN WHEEL CLASS" at the resent ANRA Spring Nationals in Bakersfield, CA. A solid .013 reaction time from you and the FLYIN BRICK II. Good luck at the "PIT".

27. ThingyM

ThingyM

You know, I still have a full roller chassis, Plus a 300" Ford motor. Hmmmmmmm. But I don't think that 7.5 Chev rearend is the thing to use.Will find something better..

28. Old28

Old28

Put that high dollar altered in the back of the shop and finish that SDRA Hamster Ford and start having some real fun at the race track. A nice light Ford 8" rear end would go good with your 300"/C4 combination. Time moves on buddy and it ain't like you don't have a shop to build it in.

29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Good parts and pieces to build a 9-incher are cheaper and easier to come by than an 8-inch.

30. ThingyM

ThingyM

I have a bunch of 9" stuff. But most of the housings are way to wide. I was thinking like a 8" out of a 64 sprint or a 8 3/4" out of a Barracuda..The Chrysler stuff is strong and easy to get parts for..So I guess I'll be on the hunt..