Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 Ford trunk hinge adjustment

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vet57air, Jul 2, 2015.

1. The last thing to do on my 34 3 window is adjust the trunk as the passenger front side is a little high. Any tips on how to do this? There are no shims presently on the hinge and by adding I think it would make it even higher.

2. Yep, if you shim at the deck lid, it will raise that corner. If you shim the forward pivot/bracket (which I think hangs below the area of the body it bolts to), then it will lower that hinge. Theoretically, I might add. And, I took for granted you have an original steel body. Strange things happen to these old bodies over the years! Tim

3. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Behind the seat on each side of the drip pan for the rear window is where you need to make the adjustment on the trunk hinge tower, you will have make your own shims or you can buy a shim kit and drill holes to match
    up with the hinge towers. Attached are pictures of the hinge towers, some universal shims and a picture that I captured here on the HAMB that shows the hinges and towers. 33_34Decklid_Hinge.JPG
    Shimset.JPG
    Shiming_hinge_33_34.JPG

4. Well now, that's the opposite of how I thought they mounted. I'm back to square one with ya vetair.

5. You did have me going Timwit, as I did try it, but it is the other way. Thank you Bobby_socks. I am accessing through the trunk, but my issue is I am high with no shims. Far as I can see adding shims the lid goes up. I may have to shave
    down the hinge tower.

6. Is there a way to "lower" the mounting plate on the body?

7. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

^ Tim, you could they are spot welded if I am remembering correctly. If one was going to redo the hinge mounts it would be a good to make a mount with adjustment with up/down and fore/aft.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  8. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

shimming at the trunk raises and shimming at the hinge tower will bring it down

ff1930 likes this.
  9. I just bent the curved bracket a tiny bit over what I thought i needed, then shimmed at the lid.

A very little goes along way