Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage heading to Arizona and looking for advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vinmanr2d2, Oct 4, 2015.

1. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

hello gang ,
    the wife and I are headed out to northern Arizona 12 days from now and are looking for advice on the sights to see .
    we will be heading from Phoenix to Holbrook , Holbrook to Farmington New Mexico , near four corners . come back down towards the Painted Desert , Petrified Forest , head towards the Grand Canyon , Sedona , Flagstaff and more .
    would love to hear about Rt.66 and all of the cool stuff you can throw at us .
    BBQ
    Museums
    Junk or Salvage Yards
    filming locations for Star Wars , Indiana Jones , or Easy Rider
    burger joints
    malt shops
    dinosaur tracks , fossils and so on
    turquoise hunting
    just not too much hiking at all as my back has decided to slow me down , but I am still smiling !
    thanks in advance guys !
    we really appreciate any help you can throw our way ! Vinny in NJ

craig928 likes this.
  2. Durango is only an hour north of Farmington and worth a look. Several movies set in and around Durango. Most noteable being Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. You must be visiting family or have a job interview? Not to many people go to Farmington just to go.

3. Get a hold of "Need Louvers" chip in Phoenix. You have to see bell rock in Sedona.

Rcraft likes this.
  4. phat rat

phat rat

Actually Bell Rock is on the edge of Village of Oak Creek which is almost 10 mi south of Sedona. If you drive into Sedona from the north, Flagstaff, Highway 89 is beautiful and a ball coming down the switchback. Another neat place to visit is the old mining town of Jerome about 30 mi west of Sedona also on 89 and the way to Prescott.

5. 48jeep

48jeep

If you have the time a drive thru the White Mountains is worthwhile. Springerville has an old wrecking yard but I don't know everything they have. I have seen quite a few 50's and 60's cars in that yard.

6. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

thanks for all of the suggestions so far . I will look into all ideas thrown our way .
    you guy's are the best !
    I booked one of the WigWam teepees in Holbrook for a night .
    we will be hitting Oak Creek , the White Mountains and will check out Bell Rock and Jerome as well .
    keep the ideas coming .

7. 73RR

73RR

In Sedona area is the Red Rock State Park, and a not-so-inexpensive, but fun trip, the Pink Jeep tour.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Dont forget To get yourself to In-n-Out burger. Everytime I'm in the Southwest its a must stop.

robracer1 likes this.
  9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Right up from Sedona is Jerome. It's an old mining town on the side of a mountain.

Plus, it has the "Gold Mine and Ghost Town". It's an attraction that is neither of those, but what it is, is the coolest junkyard ever. It has scores of old heavy trucks and equipment and millions of pieces of heavy metal parts of all kinds scattered over acres on a hill overlooking the red rocks of Sedona.

Don, the owner is there everyday, cutting boards from timber with his antique sawmill, but he'll take time to talk Studebaker with you. He's in the photo below, taken at a recent event where he had his Stude powered racer. Give him ten bucks and he'll start up his three cylinder, two-story-high dynamo that used to power some little town somewhere! I doubt there's any other place with so much heavy machinery anywhere.

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

66 goes through Williams..You can take the Steam Train to the south rim of the Grand Canyon..

12. Kingman & Oatman are good & The Run To the Sun in Lake Havasu starts the 21 or22nd thru the 25th. Pretty good car show. Might be out of your way but worthy of the time.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

ya gotta do something car related on this journey - take pics & share here

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

We played around there a couple years ago and enjoyed that big old crater and also the cliff dwellings. Someone will know the official names. And Jerome, and Oatman...

15. phat rat

phat rat

cliff dwellings----Walnut Canyon

craters--------------Meteor Crater and Sunset Crater

16. Chama NM ,narrow gage RR . Worth the trip .

17. Some really good suggestions there. We did Jerome and Sedona a couple of years back. Really nice scenery. And the train trip from Williams to the Grand Canyon was one of the best days we had in the states. The outlaws hold up the train on horseback and pick on someone on your cabin and give him shit!! glad it wasn't me, but all good fun.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yeah the train trip was good, breakfast and show before the trip....I was standing near the steam engine and started talking to a guy about it, Johnson valve and all..The fellow was in his fortys, diesel mechanic and lived 60 miles away and had never been to the Grand Canyon..I told him were're gonna love it..

Truck64 likes this.
  19. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

every day of my life is car related ! I will post the best pic's I get ! I promise !
    where are the local drag strips ?

20. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

thanks for all of the responses so far pal's ! so where are the local drag strips ? kustom shops , cruise nights , and so on ! you guy's are the best ! thank you !

21. If you're on 66 make sure you hit Seligman, AZ

cfiles13171.jpg

22. Meyer

Meyer

I second Jerome. Lookup Verde Valley Railroad too.

23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    robracer1 likes this.
  24. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Jerome is a must see. I took over 200 photos at the gold mine, and the town is very cool also.
    video of 1928 Studebaker race car

25. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

26. pitman

pitman

27. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Do not try to buy gas in Williams ,you don't have that much money. Highest gas prices in the lower 48.

28. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

wow , those are all great ideas ! that DWARF car builder is insane ! thank you so much for that ! I will get there for sure !
    Tom Davison ,
    I will try to get to that yard in Sedona ! and by the way your photography is something very , very special ! I suggest you check this art out that my friend Bob Petillo does ! it is called photo-realism and blows my mind every time I see it ! I will get back at your website when I am done with my trip as two of the cabins I was going to rent are not available !
    http://bobpetillo.com/works
    here are painted hood ornaments that he does as well ... http://bobpetillo.com/collections/66151
    these are cars with reflections in the paint !!!! http://bobpetillo.com/collections/7400

29. yruhot

yruhot

Well have traveled from Vegas to Flaggstaff several times over the years and went rt 66 north out of kingman over to slaligman az. Rd takes you to Hackberry,peachtree az, beautiful country and I think that headed up by the fourcorners area I believe. Williams is a cool little town. If you like steak,Rods steakhouse on the main drag is real good, a couple of blocks away is the pine top restaurant. Good food and great pies and deserts and breakfast also. Also the train leaves there for the grand canyon. A must see. Down towards Sadona is a place called Cottonwood and if you are a picker there is a place I believe called Larrys antiques.Tons of automotive stuff. I bought an old Hunter wheel balancer there that was in awesum shape. Signs pumps etc. They use to have street drags inKingman but when I got my 55 chevy going the quit doing it. Mr.Dee in Kingman az. across the street from the powerhouse museum is a fifties type diner. Tons of drag car photos on the wall and always some car people in there they should know where some action is. Anyway just a few of my favorite places. Hope this helps.YRUHOT....Doug

30. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

Thanks again guys ! once again any food , ice cream parlors , malt shops , or anything cool or weird let me know !