Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TECH WEEK TONY'S SIMPLE TECH NO 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by typo41, Oct 4, 2015.

1. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Brake and Fuel line cleaner with no CFC’s

[​IMG]

My latest project is a 1954 Ford Country Squire wagon that sat out for over 25 years in a dry but obvious wind-blown country. The window were busted out by I am sure bored Gen-Y youths and they must have stolen the gas cap for a souvenir.

When I dropped the gas tank it was very good looking for age. A bit of dirt and dust was present and came out easy, it could have a can of rust from water intrusion as the gas door was stuck open.

But after cleaning the tank, I thought it best to blow out the fuel line. What a dust storm! A quick squinting looking down the pipe showed a caked layer of dust and dirt.

Option 1. Run a thin but stiff wire down the line to clear out the dirt.

Option 2. Plug one end and pour in some solvent to soak then try to blow out the gunk

Option 3. Blown thru some brake cleaner or something in a pressurized can.

Option 1 would be a pain. Option 2 would be another pain. Option 3 would work but brake cleaner was too little volume.

Option 3-B, a search found the perfect material, an aerosol liquid in a can made to blow out lines. But it was also $12.00 a can, twelve dollars! I need to buy real parts with that $12! I should be able to make something.

Light Bulb!

I have a ‘one man (person) brake bleeder kit’. Along with the hand pump it has a nice catch bottle with two outlets, one for vacuum, you thought I was going to say suck, the other port for material. What I could do was fill the bottle with solvent, supply a little air pressure, and I shold be able to clean out the caked in mud.

Take a look at the photos, watch for direction on the bottle and be careful of two things. The solvent will eat the o ring if you leave the solvent in too long and if you use too much pressure you will blow off the top of the bottle, I know. The first shot and a cloud of brown yuck blew out the end. I ran a series of solvent through the lines and the third blast looked clear, but I will still have a good filter on the line before it enters the pump.

I used tools and material I had lying around and saved $12.00, plus shipping, to be used for some of the many parts I will need.

I connected the feed line at the fuel pump connection [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A little solvent into the catch cup

[​IMG]

Connect to the feed line
    [​IMG]
    Connect to a air line, either dial down the pressure or use a light touch on the trigger.
    [​IMG]
    And out comes the line crud. I did this a few times as each dry layer softened up with the solvent.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. belair

belair

I like that ute.

bobbyflathead likes this.
  4. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Hey Tony----You still need those Merc firewall brackets? I didn`t forget, but since we couldn`t meet up in the usual place, well, let me know, would ya!......

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The Ute is a souvenir from an amazing trip to Aus. It has a 350/350 and Jag front that needs a little more fine tuning which will be a tech in the future. And Kiwi, I'll call or we will meet up in the usual place.