Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ten Minute Read for a Five Minute Tech 40 Grill Install Helper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by typo41, Oct 8, 2015.

1. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Tony's Simple Tech #2
    As I pulled into the parking lot I could see that I was not the first one. I try not to be first as the first has to make the coffee and put out the stale cookies to help with the small talk before the meeting.

I looked up at the faded sign as I walked towards the open bay, ‘Ed Martin Garage – We believe in the Hand Shake’. Four rows of folding chairs faced the work bench. Next to the bench was a single stool from the customer counter., which gave room for the crowd to mingle around the tall chrome coffee machine, and the stale cookies set up on the waist high stainless steel topped counter.

I walked over and grabbed one of the paper cups and stuck it under the black spout, pushed the lever and filled the cup with obviously drained oil from one of the vehicles in the other bays. Taking my cup I walked over and sat in the ‘B’ row tonight. First row is ‘A’, last row is the ‘F’ for those that want their own meeting.

The rest of the crowd settled into their comfort zone chairs.

Willie walked over from behind the Customer Service counter and leaned/sat on the stool in front, and he looked right at me. “Tony do you want to start tonight?”

Not really was in my brain,,,”Sure” came out of my mouth. Taking a strain on my knees and back I stood and walked to the front of the crowd, each one glad it was me and not them standing before them. I hate public speaking. “Go ahead Tony, tell us what happed last weekend” Willie liked to push.

“Hi, last weekend I installed a grill in my ’40 pickup”
    [​IMG]

The front clip of a ’39- 40 and 41 commercial Ford , is a bunch of stamped metal that floats as you drive. A small number of mounting points and a main cross member that is mounted with springs and ties into the radiator that is also spring mounted just adds to the headache. And the grill, the big piece of either a series of bars or a three piece deluxe grill also move as one tries to mount between two fenders that are trying to fall off.

And since no two fenders or a grill is the same, it is a dance. So if I tell you put a bolt in the top two corners and work down, it might work for you. Or it might not.

This is how to get the grill between the fenders and a way to try to align.

I was able to a couple of upper bolts in to hold the fenders and grill sorta together but I had problems aligning all the other holes. It was at this point I needed something that would align the parts but would allow for movement as I added other bolts. Something long, something smooth and something I didn’t need to buy.

On the scrap parts shelf I found just what was needed, and something I am sure you have. And I had sixteen of the wonder tools; they were about 10 inches long, round, and smooth. Push rods, Chevy push rods, but I am sure others would work as well.
    [​IMG]

The push rods went smoothly into the mounting holes, thanks to the rounded end. As I added more bolts, the rods held the fenders, inner fenders and grill in position. I could grab a rod and move the parts around to align other holes. And when I got to the place where the rods were, a simple pull and they were out and the holes were aligned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course that is just the start of a grill install and fenders and hood alignment. But at least you have half the battle started.

D-Russ and treb11 like this.
  2. That's a good way to tell a tech story. Good idea too!