Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC Clarification- flex Plate compatibility with starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Nov 25, 2015.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Want to go with a 168 tooth flexplate I thought that this flexplate only used the angle bolt pattern for bolting on the starter.and the 153 tooth flex plate only takes the straight mounting bolt pattern for the starter. I want to make sure I'm buying the correct starter that's compatible with the 168 tooth flexplate. This morning the local parts manager said the starter is universal and will fit either flexplate??? Gene

2. You're thinking is correct.
    He's FOS

3. squirrel

squirrel

what starter is it you're talking about? Factory starters fit one or the other. Aftermarket "high torque mini starters" fit either.

4. blazedogs

blazedogs

factory Starter

5. ...got a ? on this,...are most blocks drilled/tapped for either starter?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, most of them.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The parts guy is wrong.
    [​IMG]

Also, there is a third starter. It has three bolts, that go to the bellhousing.
    [​IMG]
    Mounts here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's a 168-tooth one too.

8. If you're running a 153 And a straight bolt starter, You need the bracket that holds the end of the starter to the block also.

The staggered pattern of the 168 spreads the Load and hold the weight of the starter much better.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. If you have ever wondered what that extra long bolt sticking out of the end of the starter motor was for, now you know. It is for the support bracket that someone lost, a few decades ago.
    [​IMG]

10. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Be careful with 57-60 blocks - the three hole pattern is a bit different - it is a true right triangle - the hole that you dont use for the staggered pattern is spaced in a bit more - it was for turboglide starters....a straight across 153 tooth starter doesn't work......no way to run a 153 tooth on one of these blocks

11. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

If hole in not there , drill & tap , just take yr time ,
    Also there is a 4 speed starter, cast iron nose ,that is a block mount starter , ((bigger nose)) that will not fit a on a automatic , But automatic will fit the 4 speed bell ,,
    OR the other way around , Ran into this this summer ,

12. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I like using the newer permanent magnet gear reduction starters with the staggered bolt pattern. Come on early 90's big block trucks. Have one on my high compression 409

13. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Here's a few helpful part numbers from an older thread I posted, all staggered #'s. ...... Flux image.jpeg