Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti Theft fuel pump cut off, battery kill switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54Caddy, Nov 18, 2010.

1. this is genious.

2. Diavolo

Diavolo

Electrical disabling is much easier than fuel disabling. Toggle switch or a plug to unplug from the hot to the HEI and you're done. It can be mounted in the dash easily. Another easy one is a two prong plug with a wire in the other end. When the plug is in the circuit is complete and when the plug is pulled the circuit is open and the car won't start. In the electronics world we called it a dongle.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I've seen these advertised but don't know anybody who owns one. They sound
    good but somewhat pricey. They claim not to have ever had one vehicle stolen.

Click here: Ravelco Anti Theft Device

4. I'm not great at drawing diagrams on the computer, but the 4 connections ere fairly simple.

5. mj40's

mj40's

6. maniac

maniac

I got one in my 38 chevy and in my O/T Ford p/u, got them both on ebay for a lot less than they sell for, easy to install, and they seem to be pretty hard to defeat

7. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Visalia is the same little town ahaha. Just messing up the streets on mooney with all the widening of the streets going on. Other than that same little town.

I like the idea with the relay for the deck thanks for that i am going to look into that some more.

8. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I always stick a drilled opening fuse holder,the one that takes a quarter turn, and grown the coil. when you run it you pull the fuse out , when you park it you put the fuse in , it won't start the thief cant crank till the battery dies it's not going anywhere. And if they do see the fuse holder and check it all they see is a good fuse ,who in there right mind would think a good fuse would be the problem .......done this for years on cars boats tractors ....cheap and easy

9. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I've got a toggle switch going to a relay to the ignition. Also if you have an electric fuel pump wire it through a heavy connector that you can easily un-plug, preferably easy to access like bye the pump or fuel tank.

10. trollst

trollst

Interupt the starter wire with a toggle switch, place it where you like, the starter won't turn till you flick the switch. I have a trunk monkey myself, very effective.

warbird1 likes this.
  11. inthweedz

inthweedz

Find your local LPG installer, or a wrecked vehicle fitted with LPG / petrol.. They have an electric fuel shut off solenoid fitted as standard fitted in the fuel line.. The solenoid also has a manual bypass, if the electrical side fails.. All you need then is a hidden switch to turn off or on..

12. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

LPG is kind of hard to come by in the states right? Anyhow if you need one i can get them, we euros are cheap on gas that way :( but like has been sad if they really want it theyll get it.

13. When I was a mechanic at a Lincoln Mercury dealer back in the early 80's one of our customers had had two cars stolen. I used the cigarette lighter as described and that ended his streak of stolen cars.

Verbal Kint likes this.
  14. Master Brian

Master Brian

I know it's a bit of an old thread, but it appears to keep coming back, so I'll add to it....

Has anyone tried something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQB8O7...TF8&colid=2N2GIOD8UJ5L6&coliid=I2BAI6M1SZMLY3
    I like the idea that instead of a switch that's located in the vehicle the switch goes with you. Personally, I'd likely wire it to the S terminal on the starter. Realizing of course all they'd have to do is crawl under and jump the starter, but it's something. The reviews seem to be decent with distance being the most common negative draw, which wouldn't matter in this instance. My question is, is 15amp enough to for the starter circuit?

Another thought I do like is possibly having to press the hi-beam switch on the floor to get the truck to start. I'm guessing with that since the S terminal basically only needs a monetary switch that would work, wouldn't it? or would that engage the starter any time you flashed the brights, or is that where a relay would come in handy?

Some other thoughts I have are a solenoid for the fuel system, I have a mechanical pump. I'm not coming up with a ton that I'm sure would work, but I do like the idea that, even if they get it started, it would run out quickly. Here's actually a 2 tank switch from summit that is $50 and 12v power operated. The 2nd tank would just be plugged.

Lastly, If I do a switch under the dash, I like the idea of maybe a 3 position switch. Obviously, connection would be off/on/horn. At least if they found it, there's a 50% chance the horn will get honked and might let you know someone is screwing with it, if it's in the drive. Maybe wire an airhorn under the dash to give them a heart attack!!

Johnboy34 likes this.
  15. Run a hotwore from your battery to the radio, separate from your ignition wiring.

Fuel pum shut off for a mechanical pump would be nothing more than an inline valve. I am pretty sure you can find one that is electric.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaner, that gave me an idea. I don't run a stereo head unit in my roadster but I do in one of the OT muscle cars. The stereo has an electric lead output for an electric antenna and one to remote power the amp if you are using one. That lead could be used as a kill or fuel pump relay trigger. All you have to is remember to turn off the stereo when you leave the car and turn it back on before you start it. Easy peesy.

17. Good idea.

I usually run an electric pump and have always run it on a separate switch. In Missouri if someone tries to steal your car and can't it is vehicle tampering. if they steal it and drive it 60 ft it is felony car theft. carb float bowl usually makes it about a block if you don't stand on it.

Soooo misdemeanor vehicle tampers v felony car theft. I hate a thief.

Hotrodmyk and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. rjones35

rjones35

[QUOTE=" it a dongle.[/QUOTE]

Ha!! Dongle.

19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

@porknbeaner Yeah, a block if you are lucky. I accidentally flipped my switch and didn't make it out of the driveway :(

20. robracer1

robracer1

LOJACK works great if your car is stolen, drive off or wrecker but they only cover about 50% or less of the USA. I have had 3 cars stolen even with insurance you still lose. After 1974 all my cars have had some of kill switch, my 32 roadster has a fuel shut off switch mounted on the dash, a switch hidden under the right side of the seat wired to the safety neutral so it won't turn over and a battery mounter in the trunk with a cut off switch and the only way to get into trunk is to pull the trunk release handle thats mounted in a map pocket with alot of maps covering it. Ok that will stop a drive off fifth I hope, for a wrecker pick up I'm work on a way to put a hidden small padlock on my steering shaft in hopes to make it impossible to put on a wrecker with the wheels locked all the way to the left or right parked next to cars on both sides. Am I paranoid OH HELL YEAH! also a good switch I've used in the pass was the floor mounted dimmer switch and wired into the coil wires and put a on/off switch on the dash for bright lights.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Verbal Kint and BJR like this.
  21. Having a fuel cut off always lets them get it started or driven a ways down the road. Then the crack heads get pissed off, and burn your car to the ground so they destroy any evidence.
    Let them flatten your battery in the driveway, and think they just picked a POS that wont start to steal. A hidden switch which controls your car horn via your stater solenoid (so the horn sounds when it is cranking) will attract attention, and hopefully someone with a shooter. You don,t even have to hide the switch (so fossils like me don't have to do any contortionist tricks to find it) , mount it in plain sight, and label it something else (fog lights, etc).

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We always used a key switch in the glove box, or somewhere hidden, from the coil to ground. Even with a jumper wire it was still grounded.

23. BJR

BJR

Now all we need to know is where you park it! I think you gave up way too much info on a public forum.

24. robracer1

robracer1

there's ten more switch's I forgot to bring up! but one switch if you try to steal it cuts your left leg off and the other 9 are worst.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  25. I'm doing the wiring on my car right now....got some great ideas, thanks.

26. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Install this in-line in an out of the way place like your trunk with 12 volt ignition power with hidden toggle in line to severe the power. Be sure and get the N/C (normally Closed)

It's closed (shuts fuel off) with no power..... it opens when you switch it on and are driving so there is no battery drain when your car is sitting. It will work with both electric or mechanical pump.

But really if they want it bad enough they will get it, something like this just slows em down or they move to an easier target.
    https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Bras...567&sr=1-3&keywords=12+volt+n/c+fuel+solenoid

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

On your fuel pump shut off just run an electric dual tank switch valve . Wire it in and switch it to the dummy tank position it won't pump from your tank until you switch back .GM trucks have a place for dual tank switch on the dash so you can hide it plain sight. Or under the dash if you want.
    Just a thought .A ball valve would be cheaper and easier.

28. rjones35

rjones35

I've thought about this when I park the car and go in the store or for a run or something, my car is a stick, the doors are easy to get open, even if locked, it wouldn't take much for somebody to hop in, pop it out of gear and push it away, load it up, whatever. Luckily for me, my car isn't shiny or pretty, so most people that are looking to grab a car probably wouldn't even look at it. I've seen the security things you can attach to the brake and clutch pedal so the move together, or the "club" type that go from the clutch pedal to the floor so you can't push in the clutch. Anybody used anything along those lines for the clutch?

29. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have an alarm, a fuel line valve and an electrical kill switch in my Deuce roadster. One of the smart ass kids that I worked with said that he would bet me "pizza for the shop", if he couldn't start my car in three minutes. I did him one better and even gave him my keys and said go ahead. In about 10 seconds the alarm went off. After the three minuets with the alarm blasting, he still hadn't figured how to open the trunk to get at the kill switch. Pizza was on him and we razzed him for a week, we call him "the car thief that couldn't steal a car even though he had the keys".

Turnipseed likes this.
  30. Back in the Day I had a friend that made a Sign that says
    2 sticks of Dynamite wired to the Car to Start it
    the Car was never Stolen.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

TagMan likes this.