Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A Hot Rod restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1927graham, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Tony, I just want you to know, I don't have big money, if I had your money, I'd burn mine, just a little guy that loves traditional hot rods like we had back in the day, just trying to make them a little bit better for the next year, life is good for old farts!!

loudbang and Tony Martino like this.
  2. That truck is awesome! Love the nailhead!!

volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  3. Couldn't ask for a better engine!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. I am quite partial to the 401 and 425. I have a 425 to put in my 51 Chevy to replace the small block and a 401 for my 39. They are just awesome and nothing sounds better.

volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  5. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

I never get tired of watchin' this pickup & nailhead...thnx for keepin' us updated.

1927graham likes this.
  6. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

7. The HAMB site is like no other!

8. belair

belair

I like that color. I think people forget gray is a color.

volvobrynk, Jet96 and 1927graham like this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Sound is such an important thing, I like the sound of a nailhead, but I most confess I got a thing for engines with an odd sound. They just draw me in, Y block, nailhead and Detroit 2 cycle (I know it's OT but the sound is awesome!).
    A Flathead with a potvin cam got a different sound to them, and a Duntov 3030 really makes a sbc more atractiv.
    And the destingwished lol of the Nailhead valve covers also appeales too me.

I've been wondering how Nailhead valve overs fit a Rover 3500. Since the Rover is based on a "baby-nailhead" aka Buick 215.
    Because those are the prettiest valve covers I seen in a long time

loudbang and 1927graham like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Man this is still one of my favorite Hot Rods and it keeps getting better and better.

1947knuck, volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  11. Those are kind words, thank you, really looking forward to a great year.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have always loved this little truck and I have just now gone through the whole thread. Inspiring is what it is.
    Such a clean little truck and so well done.
    There should be a "like button" for the whole thread. :)
    I'm hoping that you will carry on, let us know where you end up after the move, share your new digs and any future updates etc.
    My day is going to be better after finally finding your thread. :cool:
    Larry.

1927graham, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  13. Might be a while till my property sells, we'll see. Always good to hear from people like you, makes my day as well, if you were my neighbor we'd be drinking a beer this evening and talking hot rods, thanks for your reply.
    Craig

loudbang likes this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No problem Craig, I'd be up for the beer, it always goes good with hot rod talk. :)

15. Had the Model A (avatar) out the other day, in the 60's, put maybe 30 miles on it, finally got around to mounting my HAMB (tail gate) topper! Come on summer, a beautiful season in Minnesota!!
    FullSizeRer.jpg IMG_1401.JPG

16. loudbang

loudbang

Topper looks"The Cats Meow" :p

1947knuck, volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  17. Tuckers.jpg Got the Model A out this evening for an hour, stopped at Tucker's in Elysian, MN for an adult beverage, come on summer.

18. mista

mista
    from Finland

19. Got my fire extinguisher mounted, feel better now!!
    H3R Performance 2.5 lb. MaxOut Black Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher MX250B
    IMG_1463.JPG IMG_1461.JPG

loudbang and Chucky like this.
  20. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Looks good, fire extinguishers a must. It isn't a real hot rod till its started on fire at least once, so the saying goes. Waiting on decent weather as well.

1927graham likes this.
  21. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

1927graham, IMHO it is hard to make a fenderless pickup look good. There are too many broken lines to the shape, & hard to make it all flow together. You my friend have in my opinion achieved one of the hardest things to do in the hot rod world. I never get tired of looking at this truck.:) Sincerely. Bill

1927graham likes this.
  22. Thank you for your post Bill, appreciate your thoughts. Concerning this build, it's all in the proportions and stance, hard to put together sometimes, very rewarding now! I absolutely love driving this hot rod, lots of fun for an old guy.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  23. Changed out the noisy Red Holley fuel pump and took Don's (Don's Hot Rods) advice and mounted a Carter, Wow, what a difference, so much quieter, thanks Don for recommendation, it was spot on!!
    This is the new Carter, really like it.
    carter.jpg

The old Red Holley. IMG_1440.JPG

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Roadsir

Roadsir

Craig, all the little details look really nice. Where did you pick up the extinguishers? I think I might try one of the Carter pumps in the 40 coupe. Next on my list is to tear out the fuel system in that car!

1927graham likes this.
  25. Hi Eric: The 2.5 lb. extinguisher I received from eBay, around $78.00, free shipping. H3R Performance 2.5 lb. MaxOut Black Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher MX250B

loudbang and Bam.inc like this.
  26. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Love your truck.Ive got a 425 nail in my 27 T sedan.Hows the new rear main seal working out?Mine leaks a bit and I heard that a new one wouldnt last long before it would leak again.

1927graham likes this.
  27. I put 7,300 miles on her last year, 400 miles so far this spring, the rubber rear main seal is doing great, no sign of it failing, don't see why it would, I recommend it, the original type rope seal was crap!!

loudbang and Bam.inc like this.
  28. 4 hours on the road, through Hastings, MN to River Falls, WI. to celebrate Mother's Day with my daughter Kristin and family, her 2 boys will get this hotrod and my next build as well, they love the car, best grandsons ever!!
    the boys.jpg hot rod Grady.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Hell of a shot try and remember when you were a kid and the thoughts going through your mind when you got to fool around in grandpaws car. :p

1947knuck and 1927graham like this.