Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical chop 34 pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cammer8, Sep 26, 2016.

1. cammer8

cammer8

I have a 1934 pickup that I am considering a 3 inch chop. My only concern is the A-Pillar taper or line-up after cutting. Ive read a lot of articles on this but I still not clear on how to do it properly. Things like pie cutting ,etc. evade me. Can anyone direct me to a good source with maybe some good photos ? Thanks

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Check out RobBobs pu build on here.

3. fleetside66

fleetside66

I chopped mine 3" & everything went reasonably smoothly. From what I've read in the past here, once you get over 3," you get into the area where you have to start doing surgery on repositioning the lower window sill on the cowl. I haven't done any searches on this recently, because it's been long done for me. I'm away right now, but once I get a chance, I'll try to get you some pics I still of it all. It was the first time I ever did anything like that and it was a grand success, if I must say so myself. Don't be afraid of it and read as much as you can and take your time. If I could pull it off, anyone can.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rpm56 likes this.
  4. aplayer

aplayer

I chopped mine 4'' and didn't mess with the pillars. It might look a little thick at the top but no one has noticed. I did have to finesse the ws frame to reinstall it. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wedjim likes this.

5. cammer8

cammer8

Thanks guys. From what I gather from your responses, lining up the A-Pillars is not a problem. While I'm here, how do you post a photo and info on this site?

6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

So 2.5" should be a straight down and weld er up deal?