Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flatheads still rule...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Merc Flat Head

Merc Flat Head

IMG_2532_sRGB.JPG 1950 Mercury Flathead in a 1930 Ford Coupe

2. Still lovin mine......

56shoebox, mikew and Stogy like this.
  3. FLATHEAD'N IT

FLATHEAD'N IT

My user name says it all! Yep.... the world is flat

biggeorge likes this.
  4. 27 done, 21 to go.

5. 97

Keep spreadin that gospel Chaz. Spread it far and wide, actively discourage any of your disciples from doing any proper research on this subject . That way, those of us who have been using them for years ( 47years in my case ) won't have too much trouble finding another one when the one we have overheats, cracks and expires . BTW tell them that the heads and manifolds and other aftermarket flathead stuff is junk too, and if someone you know has a Harmon and Collins mag for a flathead please tell them where my scrap bin is.

6. I've built all sorts of modern OHV engines - SBCs, SBFs, BBCs, BBFs, Hemis, Pontiacs, etc -- but my 'first love' was this flathead - built 42 years ago when I was 15:

1934Ford-4Door-EngineFront copy.jpg

Then my second one when I was 18 - at the Antique Nats in Orange County, CA:

1934Coupe_Blown1.jpg
    Then the latest one (at least for me) - Pittsburgh, PA - on a gig with Flop:

13719494_10153740475862864_8626741441507731759_o copy.jpg

All three engines are/were very different, but they all ran well, looked good and made me smile. There is nothing like the sound of a stroker flathead with a bad-ass cam in it . . . totally unique:

Here is a video that a fellow hotrodder was kind enough to send me from the ECTA meet last spring in Wilmington, OH.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Nobey, biggeorge, Jeff34 and 8 others like this.
  7. Damn dale. Car looks awesome full fendered and sounds just down right nasty. People must be mind blown when they hear that car in person. One of these days I'm gonna have to get out your way so we can run em. Lol I will have to lighten up my roadster to about 900 pounds since you are full fendered and maybe we get to the end about the same time.:D Flattys for ever.....

509garyd likes this.
  8. Sure sounds good Dale.....

509garyd and paintslinger805 like this.
  9. banjorear

banjorear

No doubt! Damn, sounds great.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Dale sounds pissed off that you revived it from the dead.

I beleive this one is yours too correct?

Great sounding flatty.

Jeff34 and Dons37 like this.
  11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

And when he decided to wake this puppy up.

12. Brings a wide grin to your face don't it Dale..........

13. image.jpg Yep dale is a flathead guru. He helped me build this 286" from start to finish. And it crackles and sound mean too...I'm super happy dale took the time to help me. Just from the hamb I now have a great teacher of the flathead ways. Thanks a million dale.

14. You guys are WAY too kind . . . just glad I get to work with the likes of all of you - to keep building these engines with a mix of new/old ideas and associated technology. If a man can build them . . . a man can make them better. As I told Bruce from the start --> "If you're going to build a HotRod, build a Fxxxing HotRod!".

Nothing against stock/mild builds (still love em) - they do have their place (just not in my cars). LOL

Ron Brown and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. the sound of that, made my H.A.M.B. bigger

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. 35cab

35cab

Yup, It broke!
    Engine was in my 35 cabriolet, on my way back from a 600 mile trip, 150 miles from home, the slight rumble/ vibration I had felt got suddenly IMG_5054.JPG pretty noisy, pulled over as soon as I could and called for help.
    After pulling the engine, everything looked ok but when checking float on the crank noticed it was very obvious that it was different front to back. How can that be? I thought, unless of course crank was split and sure enough when removing rods discovered a major crack.
    Upon inspection it seems this crank had been welded in a previous life, can't think why as it is a French Military engine and I would have thought they would have had stacks of cranks on shelves.
    Anyway engine is scheduled for complete rebuild with Scat crank and new rods, pistons etc.
    A blow to the bank account but I still love Flatheads.
    Attached pic was taken in happier times, the aftermath you have seen.

17. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

wakey wakey rise and shine ... get up get up it's time to fly!

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  18. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

the reason for studs is that studs streach and bolts pull on the threads nuff said

19. Pacorro

Pacorro

Hi friends, great thread! I have a 50 'merc that has a 302 engine, so it came when I bought it 8 years ago, and since then I've been looking for a flat head to do the project correctly. Very difficult to find that engine here in Mexico, but at last I got it. Much to do but with the help of experts as you hope to do the right thing ...[/ATTACH] 13523680_260625407630181_339477616_o.jpg IMG_1016.JPG 13523680_260625407630181_339477616_o.jpg IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1018.JPG IMG_1019.JPG

20. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Here is my 286" 8ba. Edmunds heads edelbrock intake elgin pistons merc crank and GranCor cam. Built in the 60's I believe and was in a 48 Ford gasser. DSC_3749.JPG
    DSC_4193.JPG

21. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

This just followed me home the other day, a rebuilt 1942 Merc engine but it has been sitting in a truck, waiting to be fired for a long time. Points were corroded, after cleaning, she lit right off. DSCN2917.JPG

biggeorge, Stogy, LOU WELLS and 6 others like this.
  22. flatout51

flatout51

Still can't believe Steve gave up on the flathead so quickly. At least now the old flathead will be appreciated appropriately!

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

biggeorge likes this.
  23. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I Just finished my blown 53 Merc engine. Lot of work but not impossible, Genr IMG_2576.JPG

Attached Files:

biggeorge, Gotgas, Petejoe and 6 others like this.
  24. PRB

PRB
    from Az

Ok, I think they are way cool retro but it seems more younger guys have the bug.
    When I was a kid we couldn't wait to pull the flatties out of whatever and put a say 283 with reliable hp in its place.....I can't remember anyone bragging on an old flat head lump back in the early 60's.....you'd have been laughed at.
    Just some perspective.

olscrounger, mkebaird and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What comes around goes around... Now a lot of guys passionately build Flatheads and laugh at guys with small blocks.

I love em both personally... but have a special place in my heart for the flathead obviously.

26. PRB

PRB
    from Az

Yeah, I get that...but that is a 'new age' gig and not what happened in the day...much like rusty rods. Just know you are living in the moment and not re creating an era....unless you are creating a pre mid 50's ride.
    Honestly, you couldn't give away a flat head in the late 50's....I tried, went to the dump.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  27. That depends upon what time your are referring to by "in the day." Not all of us are focused on late-50's or 60's. Some of us are trying to emulate 40's and early 50's builds, when the Ford Flattie was the king of Hot Rod motors and had been for some time. When the Cadillac and Olds OHV's came about in '49, it took a few years for them to find their way into Hot Rods, then they ruled the roost. The SBC represents a "later" era of Hot Rod and Street Rod engine for many of us.

28. PRB

PRB
    from Az

That is absolutely true....my only point is this...flatheads didn't 'rule' after the mid 50's and the very common 'oh, another SBC' you hear today is a retro re inventing history kind of gig. SBC's came out in what '54, and they were plentiful and cheap...just like the flathead was a decade earlier.
    And, big and, they are still making cheap plentiful HP 63 years later....

29. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

30. bangerbob

bangerbob

I wish I have four more cylinders--I wish I had four more cylinders!!! ModA 531.jpg

97, biggeorge, Bandit Billy and 4 others like this.