Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Oldsmobile. Clean slate

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by rulamar, Jan 11, 2017.

1. rulamar

rulamar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oldsjoe and 302GMC like this.
  2. rulamar

rulamar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picked this up over Christmas. I'm not really sure what direction to take it in. I'm thinking lower it and drive it as is.I'm open to suggestions. The car is complete minus the rear seat. Straight 8 runs great.front end needs attention.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldsjoe, Bruce Fischer and 'Mo like this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Looks like a model 68 ( A body), have a friend with a model 76 (B body) that he chopped 5". Work in progress, lots of work involved in chop.
    Spider.jpg Spider side.jpg
    Olds chop.JPG

Legendlives and 'Mo like this.
  4. 'Mo

'Mo

Just for drooling...this 371 is in a 1947 Olds woody (for sale on another site)!

[​IMG]

The ad mentions a swap to larger 1949 Olds front brakes, probably a good idea with a 4500 lb. car.
    Otherwise, "lower it and drive it" sounds like a good plan!

If
    the motor ever gets torn down, I would look into shaving the head, as compression ratio is only 6.50 to 1.
    And splitting the exhaust manifold for duals (5/3 split) would sure give it a sound like nothing else on the road!

BTW, there is an active group of Va. HAMB'ers at this link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/virginia-hamb-ers.62/

Check them out, if you haven't already.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    tomkelly88, mgtstumpy and rulamar like this.

5. cshades

cshades
    from wi

The dash in those olds are really cool looking. I am grafting one into my avatar right now.

rulamar likes this.
  6. rulamar

rulamar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a few other projects going but this one could be on the road soon. The kingpins are shot so... Thinking new kingpins, stepped a arms and aerostar Springs.

7. rulamar

rulamar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Rulamar, looks like a good start. Just make sure your brake system is working good and get your front end straighten out before taking her on the road. Ask me how I know. I found out the hard way with the 56 buick wagon. Bruce. 00o0o_82PxJSvNBPi_600x450-1.jpeg

T-roaster likes this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Seat should be same as all '41-'48 "A" bodied GM cars, front end parts are still easy to find.
    The front shocks are also the upper control arms, so there's a problem ...
    We added a set of tube shocks, cut 2 coils & called it good in the days when those were $65 cars.
    Show us the manifold side of the engine so we can figure out where to split the manifold ... better insure the grille !
    And the skirts are worth enough $$ to a restorer to pay for much of the repair.

oldsjoe and rulamar like this.
  10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

302GMC. said:" ...better insure the grille !"
    Boy is that right ! Can't tell you how many of those Olds grille's were "borrowed" for use on Fat Fendered Fords, et al !!

Nice car; 4 Drs. are cool. Follow your plan: make the needed-upgrades to make it road worthy, dependable, drivable...and just plain enjoy it !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

rulamar likes this.
  11. Sorry, I just can't.....I'd be on the lookout for a decent coupe or tudor fastback body. The fastback body's were pretty common and good looking. Your 4 door has a ton-o-great parts but I consider it a super good parts car.
    I've also seen guys cut it across the windshield posts and across the floor and splice in a 40s chevy sedan delivery back section..makes a great 47 Olds delivery.

belair likes this.
  12. rulamar

rulamar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

13. rulamar

rulamar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

302GMC likes this.
  14. rulamar

rulamar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had several people ask what I wanted for the grille. Lol.

15. 'Mo

'Mo

As can be seen in this video, there are three paired (siamesed) ports mid-block, and a single port at each end, virtually eliminating a 4/4 split. However, the rear three cylinders can easily be isolated for a 5/3 split, and a sound all its own!
    (I have even heard tell of a 7/1 split! Cuckoo!)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  16. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I have an idea... P1011767.JPG Not mine, belongs to a guy outa Iowa, spotted at Torquefest 2013.

17. russell7088

russell7088

18. russell7088

russell7088

19. Sam_Fear

Sam_Fear

I'm that guy, and that's my chopped '48 Olds. Just drove it back from TF2017 - another great show! I'm not on here much, but if you want to know what I learned chopping mine, just ask. (Who doesn't like talkin about their own car right?)

20. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Maybe a 78 series being a eight cyl. Make sure you know before buying stuff cause it does matter in some areas.Grab anything and everything you find cause its getting harder and harder to find. Ive had my 47 since 81,so I been at it for awhile. 303 with stock hydramatic going in my 47.Work starts this winter.
    Look up the Icon Derelict Olds on You tube.Sweet ride! Jim F

21. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

This is bad ass! Have fun with it. Remember it's your car