Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods overdrive for Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Dec 26, 2016.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

About twenty years ago I sold several 50's Chevy 3 speed with O/D transmissions to a guy who was using them to add on or convert standard Model A trans. He said it wasn't a big deal to do and I wasn't interested at the time. Does anyone remember them doing this ,or have the procedure in their memory.? Thanks

CoolYourJets likes this.
  2. There is a guy back east that makes TT ODs for model As with BW R-10s?

6inarow likes this.
  3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The availability of BW T-5's & Ford f-150 4+1's has pretty much ended it, but in the day it wasn't an uncommon swap to put a BW OD unit into the "A" torque-tube. It took some machine work, but worked fairly well(it would sit in roughly the same place that a modern Mitchell unit does)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

We have a '28 Sport Coupe with a Borg-Warner overdrive in it. It works great. It's almost like having an automatic trans, but with having manual shifting too. Like drtrcV-8 says, it is welded on the torque tube near the differential (about 3" in front of it). It works a lot like described in this article: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1007sr-borg-warner-overdrive/

Our model is the BW R108-1R

The main difference being that the overdrive is not part of the transmission. This causes one bad-effect: since there is no direct connection between the transmission and overdrive, the overdrive doesn't auto-disconnected when you stop. If you roll into a coffee shop and forget to disengage the OD, you can't get into reverse! We've had to jack up the rear wheels, put it into gear and roll the tires, disconnect the OD, then reverse out. It's hard to not look like a total dork in front of Starbucks when this happens. (At least this is how ours works).

Here are a couple of shots of our unit:

cactus1 likes this.

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thanks fellas, that may be more than he wants to take on .

6. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Here is another option for an overdrive that I've seen someone add to their Model A.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

What is a Ford f-150 4+1? My avatar has a 84-87 F150 3 speed with overdrive

8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

f150 4+1 was a miss: meant 3+1(your OD unit)