Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 64 283 rebiuld

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bryan boswell, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

It is pretty much imitating what you already have!

Sharpone likes this.
  2. Just does it without the solinoid.

cuts out the middle man

Sharpone likes this.
  3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

And, believe it or not, they came from the factory with a Hurst shifter. I've got a couple.

Sharpone likes this.
  4. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

It is bench seat. I've decided I'm going to keep this simple...and I do like the idea of keeping the "heart" of the car in it as it has a ton of sentimental value to me. I'm going to just hone and ring it if possible . New bearings . Slight upgrade on cam and 4 bbl intake/carb maybe some headers. Have the heads done . If i can upgrade the valve size cool if its more money then its worth will leave as is and drive it. I can always build something wilder and then find something to throw it in. That's the basic plan anyway. I'm going to talk to the machine shop again down the rd that has a pretty good rep and discuss with him befor tear down. After its back together ill see if I wanna change gearing ect. Ill keep u guys posted and all the awesome education is much appreciated!

Sharpone likes this.
  5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Actually, the TKO has been replaced by the TKX which is more compact to clear tunnels. Shifts better and just as strong.

Think about it like this Bryan. Different people are looking for different results. Anthony is happy with "low and slow" as he alluded to in his posts. I think you are past the point of abusing your car at every stoplight, but would like something that won't embarass you when you do want to row thru the gears on occasions.
    People always start out thinking about how to build their engines. Then they start thinking about gearing ....both transmission and rear ends as the reality of more hp rears its head. I have always felt that transmission and rear end choices make or kill most cars. A TKX is not cheap......but there is a reason for that. They are new and they are extremely strong and they work well. What people skip over is that choosing the right transmission setup will often allow someone not to have to change their rear end. So a lot of the money that would go in the rear can be put in the transmission choice......somewhat offsetting the trans cost. If you can afford it, I would purchase a TKX and install it behind the 283. Save the 4 speed on a shelf so it can be reinstalled if you ever sell the car........or sell it and put the money toward the new transmission. The additional gear ratios will do a lot to wake your car up. Drive it like that for the summer and decide if you are happy with the 283 and 5 speed performance. If you should decide you want more performance, then start looking at the larger displacement smallblocks and keep driving while you either build or buy one. Then when you do install it, you already have a trans capable of handling that power. When you tear a 4 speed up, they are expensive to repair...if even repairable. You lose money that way. With the Tremec you probably won't ever have a problem and you can always resell it for 75%+ if you want to. If you look at it that way, you only lose 25% of its value even if you drive it for several years. I have a TKO in an S-10 I'm building and have a Tremec Magnum 6 speed to go behind a 500 Cad in a 32 Ford. I'm a believer in these transmissions so I put my money where my mouth is. I honestly think if you put a TKX in what you are currently driving you will have a better and faster car than if you rebuild the 283 first.

You have to build what satisfies you, not us........but you have to be honest with yourself about what it takes to satisfy you.;)

Sharpone, Chief 64 and Kerrynzl like this.
  6. Yes. Low and slow and plenty of spares
    IMG_7823.jpeg IMG_7826.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  7. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

Main reason i even decided to go through it is its already out,( to replace mounts) every gasket on it leaks, and it's been about 40 years since its been touched.

Sharpone and ekimneirbo like this.
  8. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

I have thought about a 5 speed...but ill worry about that afters shes back together and running

9. Make it go and stop
    Enjoy

Don’t overthink it

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I vote four speed, a lot more fun.
    Bought this bone stock 64 from a guy at work many years ago, pretty tired 250hp 327 with three speed on the column.
    I'd had my share of higher powered cars so figured it would be fine for a while just for a Summer cruiser, but a grandma column shifter didn't cut it, had it about a week and started collecting pieces for a Muncie four speed swap, the plan was to use a Hurst shifter but I stumbled onto a mostly complete original 64 shifter, it was missing the 3-4 lever and rod but got them at the Portland Swap Meet, the real score was the the mint original four speed shift boot that the guy had left in the car, said I could have it if I came and took it out, I did not hesitate as he lived only fifteen miles from me.
    I planned on just removing the shift handle from the column but got real lucky when a guy in Boise Idaho advertised an original floor shift steering column for sale in the Nickle Ads, I was going to leave it black but found some matching fine textured turquoise paint for it, it came out real nice, a lot of people thought it was an original four speed car.

20160312_124549.jpg

11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Give it a compression check before you pull it down.
    A ball hone , Ring and Bearing, New Cam/Lifters, Timing Set , Oil pump, Water pump etc is something you can do yourself.
    Send the Heads to a machine shop and get the valves and seats cut. [throw in some Chevy 305 1.84" intake valves]
    And you're basically done!

Mods like 4 barrel carb and intake, and HEI can be done anytime after it is back on the road

You need to establish what rear end you have which is easy on an open rear end.
    Jack up one wheel and put a mark [tape] on it.
    Get a friend to rotate the wheel 2 revolutions and you crawl under and count how many turns the yoke rotates
    If it rotates "approx" 3-3/4 turns it is a 3.70 [3 turns is a 3.08] etc etc

[If your rear end is a "posi" you jack up both wheels and rotate it 1 revolution]

The 55-64 drop out rear ends had a limited number of ratios
    3:08, 3:36, 3:55, 3:70, 4:11, 4:56 are the factory gears available

@ekimneirbo has given good advice and something you should seriously consider.
    The advancements in transmissions is what made a modern vehicle so practical and perform so well
    Go back 40 years to the 3rd Gen Camaro with a 210hp 305 TPI , they had a T5 trans that allowed them to perform reasonably OK [compared to the mid 70's crap]
    A 3rd Gen weighs approx 350 lbs less than your 64 impala, so you would need 255 hp from a 283 to perform approx the same

@DDDenny Nice Car , I really like it

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It really was a fun car to drive, give me a clutch pedal and a Muncie and I'm good to go.

Sharpone and 427 sleeper like this.
  13. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

Beautifull car looks to be in nice shape! My dad did the same with the column on this..ud never know it was an automatic originally ( except the lever is still on the column under hood for linkage lol)

Sharpone and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

I did check compression it was decent. The engine ran great always has...just starting to burn a little oil, probably mostly leaky valve seals if i had to guess cause it sits a lot. Ill def consider a tranny swap to mostly make highway cruising a little less cumbersome. Yeah I've checked ratios befor just haven't done it on this yet

15. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

I'll do that this weekend ( unfortunately I get very little time with it which sucks) Its definitely open.

Sharpone likes this.
  16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Been a pleasure working with you..........Good Luck.:)

Sharpone and bryan boswell like this.
  17. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

Thanks!! I'm sure ill have questions...keep u guys updated

18. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

'63/4 are the best full size Chevy's !!
    Like a lot have said, 283 is going to like the higher RPMs.
    Build it 9.5 ish compression ratio (pump gas), cam and valve train to run to 6500 RPM.
    Roller tappets will allow the better cam profile and not need zinc missing from modern oils. Run roller rockers also.
    3 deuces are cool, run all 3 with progressive linkage.
    New small form factor electronic distributor with external coil will maintain the old school look, will clear the 3x2's and not need point maintenance, HEI is a good distributor, but are just plain ugly
    Muncie will not have a low enough 1st.
    T10 can have a lower 1st, but no OD.
    NP440 has a lower 1st and OD, but will not shift in the higher RPMs and are hard to come by.
    Saginaws offer a lower 1st, but no OD and also will not shift in the higher RPMs.

TKX, 4.56/4.88 gears are my thoughts.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  19. mlagusis

mlagusis

What cam and compression ratio did you end with for this build? It sound sgreat!

Matt

20. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

21. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

These heads seem to possibly be a good upgrade for the power pack heads what are your guys thoughts?

22. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

The Trick Flow site says they're for 4" min bore size.

Gary

23. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

A "competition valve job" is also an upgrade on power pack heads.
    You don't need to justify the extra CFM unless you want to pull more air into the engine [Rev the sh*t out of it]

A few year ago I helped a friend build a stroker 383 for his 53 pickup.[disguised as a 283]
    It used a 3.75 stroke 350 shortblock underneath 283 power pack heads etc with a very mild "stump puller" cam.

It was probably the most satisfying engine we ever built
    It would cruise at the speed limit or higher with the 700 R4, and would get driven everywhere with a Motorcycle or Surf board in the Bed, got good economy, and occasionally do horsepower "display" [aka: burnout]

The only thing he changed on the build later was a Fi-tech EFI carb which was an exercise in futility. [it only improved the bank balance of the seller]

So it is either RPM or Cubic inches
    When people spoof in their pants about HP numbers , they don't volunteer the RPM numbers.
    Most engines spend 99% of their time below 3000 rpm

They fit on a 283 with 1.94 valves
    Personally there is nothing wrong with power pack heads [They flowed good enough for a 327] and so far have survived 59 years on his 64 impala

Keep in mind most people want to rebuild their engines into a race engines !!!! [this is what reading too many Hotrod magazines , or Watching the MotorTrend channel cause]

Sharpone and 05snopro440 like this.
  24. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

Ok ill just stick
    Ok so I guess its wise to just stick with the power packs..is it worth it to have machined for the bigger valves? I'm taking the block and heads in this week..ill upload some pics soon

Sharpone likes this.
  25. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

They make a head with the smaller chambers and valves (1.94 1.50) 54cc chamber i think for a smaller bore like the 283...only diff I see is the volume is bigger

Sharpone likes this.
  26. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I've read good things about getting the power pack heads machined for the slightly larger 305 valves (1.84 intake). I am going to go this route on mine.

27. bryan boswell

bryan boswell
    from Ontario ny

So I was going to us an engraver to mark everything ...that wont mess anything up will it as far as balance what have you?

Sharpone likes this.
  28. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

There's nothing to balance on the heads (just match marking for reassembly), and the rods, pistons, etc won't be affected at all by marking with an engraver.

Sharpone likes this.
  29. Balance?
    The factory tossed in parts out of a bin and torqued em
    Never balanced anything other than tires:)
    Keep the main caps oriented correctly.
    Rod caps with their rods.
    Pistons have notches

Sharpone and 05snopro440 like this.
  30. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Personally you're better off resisting engine mod urges and redirect $$$$ to a more modern transmission.
    Your car is going to have it's 60th birthday soon [and a family heirloom] so it would be far wiser to keep the engine bay looking as stock as possible.

If your heads need new valves then put some 305 valves in them.

Now confession time [with my 283] I like diesel like manners with street engines. This was also a lesson I learned from my friends 383 stealth engine.
    With the 283 engine in my 57 Chevy , I went the opposite direction to conventional thinking.

The cylinder heads and intake on this engine are from a 56 Chevy 265 [ I've kept the original 283 heads in storage]
    Casting number is 3725306. and the chamber volume is 56cc. and the intake ports are tiny requiring a matching 265 intake [283 and newer intakes and gaskets cannot be used]
    I kept the baby 1.72 valves but we back cut them and did a 3 angle seat job on them.
    The block was zero decked and I installed a 205° duration cam
    Compression was slightly over 10:1 [10.05:1]

The goals were ,was High RPM behaviour at Low RPM so we targeted high port/manifold velocity and got the air flowing when the valves were "just off the seat"

The engine pulled like a tractor which was great with "3 on the tree" [non-syncro 1st gear]
    Cruising around town at 30mph in 3rd is only 1400 rpm and it is extremely docile.

The engine still retains the original staggered bolt rocker covers but I did switch to a '58 paper element air cleaner.

upload_2024-4-7_8-28-59.png

One mod I am seriously considering is a Camaro T5 with an S10 Tail housing / shifter.

Sharpone and Algoma56 like this.