Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building the 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InjectorTim, Aug 15, 2005.

1. leadsled01

leadsled01

This is correct. The 283 powerpack heads I run on my 307 ci ( basically a stroked 283 ) work great!! I highly recommend.

2. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

yeah everytime I decide I don't want to build up the 283 three more guys come up with tempting motor recipies.

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The 283 is a screamer. Bullshit that it won't make good enough power. My '57 Chevy had one bone stock 2 barrel and a set of headers and 8.5:1 compression. No speed demon, but never a slug either and it got good milage. Bump the compression, 305 heads, mild cam and a dual plane intake with small 4 bbl. You won't be able to go out and pick fights, but it'll be enough power to keep things interesting, smoke the tires good, and run reliably too.

4. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Thanks Joe, thats all I want.

5. buddieboy

buddieboy
    from rockwood

Aluminum bearings A series bearings a must have .Use a cast crank not forged...430 /430 lift 112 centerline cam .Rochestor chevy 283 4gc carb with 58 front jets and 60 secondary jets not a carter or edelbrock no sir ...Use a double plenum intake with the heat passages restricted to like 7/16" hole in steel restrictiion plates placed in between head and manifold..cloys double roller timing gear set at oem mark ( no advance 3 degree) on cam gear...port and polish ho 416 heads mildly with abrasives 2 angle valve job check springs and leave no loose valve guides if nessesary put bigger stem valves in and ream to size use havilon or Castrol oil 5w 20 use hasting cast or steel rings if the bore is .010 out at the top wash the cylinders out with tide wash powders and hot water after honing process ...used old burnt black oil if you hand polish the crank jouurnals for polish lube..325 crank polish paper.a melling oil pumps fine..don't go bigger then 1.94 on and intake valve swops.use hastings rings cast if fresh bored steel moly if taperd ( bore)..if your useing the point distributor use blue steak points .018 and blue cap.if your useing the power pack heads use champion plugs.if ho 416 heads use ac r45 plugs...set plugs to 035 or .030 for break in period.I f useing hei distributor use the factory advance normal advance springs when you get it broke in then try changing the springs with a trans dapt spring and weight kit don't be afraid to mix w colors of springs and check with test runs between to see whats best.set carb mixture screws at 2.5 turns out for initial run in and no closer then 2.25 turns period. Top notch belts for factory pullys or upgrade to serpentine belts particularly with newer heads..use a 307 damper for the crankshaft..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024