Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods window-ed my 235 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Mar 28, 2024.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

I have built my 235 a few times over the past 15 years and for some reason, lately, I keep spinning bearings while driving down the freeway. I was so pissed hearing the clatter that I decided to stay in it and blow the f**er to the moon. I just rebuilt it a month ago.

I installed an oil filter and it seems like it could be the source? Curious what other guys have come across over the years, are they prone to low oil or am I a dipshit.

IMG_9293.jpeg IMG_9294.jpeg IMG_9295.jpeg 67036000914__98023140-9A5E-4F5A-B230-7FFE8F020A92.JPG

Desoto291Hemi, swade41 and hrm2k like this.
  2. Ever have the rods that spun resized?

3. drumyn29

drumyn29

absolutely

anthony myrick likes this.
  4. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

120k personal miles on a '56 235. No excessive oil consumption, no oil filter, twice a year oil changes, many 1k+ trips, many hours of 70-75 mph cruising.

Looks like you ride them hard and put away wet (mistreat the animal).

das858 and Desoto291Hemi like this.

5. Ran mine 60-65 regularly
    3:55 gears.
    Will get a 3 speed OD when put back together.

these have RPM limits

6. I'm guessing the filter was a bypass not a full flow ? how was the oil pressure ?

excessive main bearing clearance can lead to rod bearing failure.

7. drumyn29

drumyn29

Oil pressure was great when I built it. It's the vintage style filter. Similar to the picture.

IMG_9744.JPG

8. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

High volume oil pump? emptying the pan, cavitating at high rpm

tractorguy likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Aw, you wanted a V8 anyway….:)

10. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

11. I had TRIED to blow one up in my '65 C30. This thing belched oil from everywhere, severe blow by. I was doing a 283 conversion and I figured I'd send the 6 out in grand style. Dumped the oil out of it, drove it around the 'hood for a good 20 minutes. It started to make more upper end noise than usual, the oil light glowing. But it refused to blow. Maybe due to it being as loose as a $5 whore inside.

12. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I had one of those years ago,i bought it with a knocking motor,didnt know why it was knocking,It had a bad rod end from lack of oil?.Rebuilt it and all was well for a few days,was driving one day and it started to knock bad,lost oil pressure and boom she blew up.Towed it home and come to discover the distributor was loose on the clamp that holds it down in the hole,it had moved up enough so it would run,but disengaged from the oil pump?.Have a look at yours and see if it is the same. harvey

13. KenC

KenC

The only guess I have is the filter plumbing may not include the proper proper flow restriction and allows too much to bypass the bearings. Been a long time since I worked on a Chevy, but Mopar flathead sixes have a fitting with a really small hole to control that, along with a valve the opens only when proper pressure is present.

Desoto291Hemi and Moriarity like this.
  14. drumyn29

drumyn29

Seems to be right!

15. drumyn29

drumyn29

Maybe the filter ideas is not so smart on mine.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  16. Me? I would never trust that enough to re-use, no matter what. Even a new set of factory rods (thoroughly inspected) is not a lot of coin. I probably throw away more "good" parts than most here do.

Bob Lowry and SS327 like this.
  17. Thanks.
    Most of my junk is built out of throw away parts

18. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

The restrictor in the oil supply to a bypass style filter should be approx 1/16" (.060"). BUT if your oil pressure on the gauge was not reading low then the filter or restrictor isn't the problem.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  19. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

anytime you have to question your own dipshitness, the answer is yes

20. drumyn29

drumyn29

Well, I checked the oil gauge WITHOUT the filter attached on the engine stand. How did you restrict the oil? Machine a fitting with a .060 hole?
    IMG_9346.jpeg IMG_9347.jpeg

21. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Just weighing in, had a '57 235, tried to run it to 95 MPH. The next day it expired:oops:

bobss396 likes this.
  22. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I seem to remember those had an oil distribution / pressure regulator gizmo on the right side of the block (?) Maybe on the left. Anyway, if it uses one like the 216 did it could be defective. I don't remember a restrictor fitting on the filter. That was a Ford thing. I think you need a new block, also. That one is cracked. You may have one or more blocked oil passages. Looking through to peep hole in the pan, that rod looks drier than a popcorn fart, indicating insufficient oil. Did you clean out the passages in the crank the last time you worked on it? You should spend the bucks for a service manual.

ClayMart likes this.
  23. Woa...oil pan failure! So, is it getting a blown and injected hemi now?

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Windows are in the block…in the pan don’t count:rolleyes:

25. drumyn29

drumyn29

I was picking one up at the time.
    IMG_9281.jpeg IMG_9271.jpeg

26. deuceman32

deuceman32

I'm not much help with the six, I only ever rebuilt one, the tired 292 in my girlfriend's newly bought '67 C10, in 1973. The only thing I can remember is what seemed like a hundred crack stitching plugs which successfully repaired the previously frozen water jacket, which had been glopped over with something that dissolved in the hot tank. The engine outlasted the relationship by a decade.
    The good news is, I've loved C10s ever since and I really like your truck, man.
    [​IMG]

Tow Truck Tom likes this.

27. Oohh Baby ,

Imperial valve covers too ! ,,,,,that’s a nice one there .

Look at it this way,,,,it’s a sign you needed to swap engine brands !
    That Hemi will more than make the pain go away from the windowed block .

Tommy

427 sleeper and Budget36 like this.
  28. I've had my 261 over 90 M.P.H. several times, with no issues.

What are you running for rod bolts?

By resizing the rod bolt hole ARP 460 Ford rod bolts can be used in a 235/261.

I have done this in both of my 261s.

[​IMG]

In the early 261 54 early 55 261 design some clearance is needed for the bolt head.
    upload_2024-3-30_17-54-1.png upload_2024-3-30_17-55-26.png

29. gene-koning

gene-koning

If the 235 block is windowed, its a bit late to be too concerned about that one. The time to analyze the problem was before the block got windowed. Not that I blame you if it was really "rebuilt" a few months ago, and it had that problem before, I would probably have killed it too.
    Now, if the motor had this problem before and the crank was not turned, and the rods were not resized before new bearings were shoved in and it spun the bearings again, blowing it up may have been a bit over the top.

My wife's cousin had a 63 Chevy pickup and he kept complaining about blowing up small block Chevy motors. I told him I had a motor he couldn't blow up. We put a 318 Mopar in the Chevy truck. He bet me the motor didn't stand a chance, but he killed the truck trying to blow the 318 up. To this day, he is still mad about his Chevy truck dying with that 318 in it. I never did collect any money on that bet, but rubbing that in was worth the effort to install the 318. LOL!

Truckdoctor Andy and Algoma56 like this.
  30. @Robert J. Palmer , you're not scratching your head wondering why you have rod bolts left over? :rolleyes:

SS327 likes this.