Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat FED build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roseville carl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. yep Tom your correct, heads cam, intake manifold and valve parts........
    but we got a step closer today, hope to fire up tomorrow, thanks to grandson for helping me today as the ol bon es don't work like they used to.
    back home (1).jpg back home (2).jpg back home (3).jpg

2. Schramm. I have a couple.

ottoman likes this.
  3. Well just thought I post something I did 20 years ago and still use it daily

4. And now for my enjoyment will be the following............

5. Sounds good Carl - no go have some fun!

6. Irish

Irish

A literal blast from the past! Thanks a Carl!

7. spanners

spanners

Why wouldn't you be happy? Only thing left to do is park you're arse in the seat and go. :)

8. Yep tha's what I am lookin to do, now just to get ready for Eagle Field and all the craziness down there!!!!!

9. 58 more getups for the Flathead V8 /6CYL Clash at Eagle Field come join us ........................... 20240320_094808.jpg

loudbang and Countn'Carbs like this.
  10. AmishMike

AmishMike

Does that mean 58 rails are running in V8-6 class? Wow!

11. AmishMike

AmishMike

Get it now. Get ups in morning…. Dam I got excited thinking it was rails

12. Eagle Field in just 30 More getups!!!!! wahooooo just some memories from the past......... 2009 till now
    2009.jpg 2010.jpg 2011.JPG 2012 (1).jpg 2012 (2).jpg 2013.jpg 2014.jpg 2015.JPG 2016.jpg 2016A.jpg 2017.JPG 2017A.jpg 2018.jpg 2019.JPG 2020.JPG

Attached Files:

Toms Dogs and loudbang like this.
  13. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Man that looks like fun.

Can I ask a dumbass question please Carl?

My FED is getting closer to completion, and in between works I've been thinking through some of the track practicalities. I have the trailer sorted, fire extinguisher mounted, thinking through the tools I will need trackside etc. I'm uncertain on fuel though. The cars I have taken to the track so far have been road going. I fill them up with enough pump gas to last the event, and if I am a little low I fill them up on the way home at the nearby gas station. The FED though will run on methanol. This is my first methanol vehicle, so a little unsure on fuel handling.

The FED will probably run once every second to third month. I know I need to flush the fuel system out with gas, and can visualise how to do that. I cannot store a 44 gallon drum of methanol, and will not have enough use to consume that volume. I am figuring on buying methanol in 5 gallon drums and storing it in those drums at home. I can take those drums to the track and topup the FED via a funnel and filter sock. Is there something I am missing here?

Cheers,
    Harv

14. Also, Marvel Mystery oil is your friend for things like fuel pumps, poppets, valves, etc. Lubricate pumps/valves after you flush the alcohol out of the system. If you have a fuel-filter, clean it as well. Before you race again, check all your poppets, main jets, metering valves, etc - and make sure they're in good shape. It is not a bad idea to take the pump, poppets and other such stuff off the car between races - to clean, inspect and reinstall later on.

15. Harv when I was running methanol I would by it in 50 gal drum stored at house and bring 2- 5gal cans to race weekend. Made an adapter to apply 4lbs of air pressure (no more than 4!) to drum to push the fuel out to fill the 5 gal containers. Like Dale says make sure you clean it out after each race and don't leave any in system.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Electric fan, but still pretty cool. :cool: Do you have dyno numbers with the blower?
    [​IMG]

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Precious!

18. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Thanks gents. Agree on the oiling part - drain alky, pickle with gas, pull off and oil anything that moves.

Cheers,
    Harv

19. don't have any dyno numbers just 117 @ 11.3 in quarter 97 + in 1/8

20. AmishMike

AmishMike

Formulas on internet calc horsepower based on quarter mph & et & weight