Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bumper straightening and welding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ActionYobbo, Apr 17, 2024.

1. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

I need to get my bumper straightened and welded for my 39 ford truck.
    The bumper was bent near the end on the passenger side so I put it in the 6 ton press to bend it back into shape and the bumper snapped off at the bend so now I need it welded as well as straightened. Who can do this for me?

Sharpone likes this.
  2. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

How nice do you want the end result to be? Show quality chrome plated or spray bomb Krylon good-enough-for-a-beater?

Sharpone likes this.
  3. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

It’s a beater. It’s the truck in my avatar. Just trying to make it complete and drivable.
    At best it will be silver paint and clear coat

Sharpone likes this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Ask on the HAMB and Ford Barn want ads, I'll bet someone has one they'd like to sell?

Sharpone likes this.

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Action, send me a PM and pictures of your bumper. I am up in Springfield, and I may be able to help.

Sharpone likes this.
  6. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

Tried that. Only ones I found were as bad as the one I have or car bumper where the holes are in a different position

I will post some pictures tonight

Sharpone likes this.
  7. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

Bumper should only have 3 holes 1 each side and 1 in the center the other 2 I want to fill in

Attached Files:

Sharpone likes this.
  8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not just clean it up, put some reinforcement behind the mounting holes, weld it, grind the weld down flush and maybe, put some canned chrome on it and drive it? That bumper has character;).

Sharpone and Fogger like this.
  9. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

that was sort of the plan before it broke. I still need to straighten it before it’s welded but it’s spring steel and I don’t have any heating equipment that can make it red or what ever is needed to get it reshaped. Then the welding bit when I asked on a welding forum about welding it I was told it will just crack at the weld unless it heated before welding and heated and normalized after welding. That’s more than my equipment can handle

Sharpone likes this.
  10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Torchy , no Fixy...Dont know how Ive done without one for so long...

11. Budget36

Budget36

I have a set of flaky chromed bumpers like yours, dang I bet shipping from Ca to Arkansas would be costly?
    I’d need better pics to confirm though. Also of your bumper brackets.

They are straight though.

Edit: Measurement of the bumper and hole spacing as well. I’ll never use them, so enough $$ to cover me and @alanp561 in beer for a week should do it;). Seriously though, look for a cost effective way to get one or both to you from 95361 zip code and we can make it happen.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    alanp561 likes this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I mailed a front bumper for a 72 Maverick one time. Wrapped some plastic on it, then wrapped it with brown paper and tape. As long as it fits in their limits on length and weight they will ship it, and reasonable priced, too. Check out the USPS web site and see if you can get it to fall within their specs…

alanp561 likes this.
  13. Joe H

Joe H

I shipped a rear axle housing out of a GTO from KC to Dallas, I protected the ends and took it to the FedEx depot. Cost was pretty cheap, they put it on a pallet with other stuff.

alanp561 likes this.
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just last year, I sent a Model T trunk floor pan to Central Texas. Cut up a cardboard refrigerator box, wrapped the floor up, taped the hell out of it and sent it UPS for $54.00. Not bad in my opinion.

1952henry likes this.
  15. No box needed, just stick a label on it and tape it down and around real good a few times. Had new leaf springs shipped to me this way UPS last month .