Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's finish the 50 Chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Idling in park it holds 35lbs

sidewayzz69 likes this.
  2. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

It's not going to kill it having only 5 PSI at idle. If it comes back up with the revs, run it.

Gary

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is it a real GM HEI? If not measure the diameter here vs other distributor. IMG_2673.jpeg

4. Yeah it's a stock distributor. I just got off the phone with my buddy Jamie that owns the machine shop, told him we might need to build a short block pretty quick, he laughed and told me to pull the filter, said it's probably stopped up with the crap from the cam and lifter woes. I'll pull it and change to delo oil Saturday, see what happens. But I just bought a 350 long block core, so I'll get that torn apart and to the machine shop asap just in case.

5. I currently run 20W50 in my crate sbc because I never liked the oil pressure at idle. It raised it to a comfortable level.

6. I was going to suggest a little straight 50w or 60w, but @pprather beat me to it. Brother, your luck sounds like mine. If it weren’t for shit luck, I’d have no luck at all. If it makes you feel better, at least you didn’t hit a deer last Sunday on your Harley.

7. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well God Damn Man... Don't tell us you did!!! :eek:

8. Budget36

Budget36

Just put tape over it. Problem solved;)

9. Gloom, despair, and agony on me lol... wanna know why I don't ride anymore? Had a streak here at the firehouse where I responded on 12 bike wrecks in 3 shifts, flew 7 of those to the trauma center, and the other 5 are in the ground. And at the same time one of my buddies hit a deer, spent about 8 weeks in the hospital. Just not worth it anymore to me. But I'm really glad you're still here talking man

slim38, enloe, chryslerfan55 and 7 others like this.
  10. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Different oiling system, but I run 20W50 in my Buick 455 because of the same issue. Keeps the oil pressure up when it's idling in gear when hot.

11. I bet it would have oil pressure with 75w-80 in it.

12. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Dare I say it. May have to start driving fords. :p:p I said it , not proud of it though.

13. Ah I'll switch to mini trucks first :D:p

enloe, SS327, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This keeps the oil flowing when the filter slows and or gets stopped up. IMG_2674.jpeg However when the crap in the oil that gets by the by pass, it play’s hell on the pressure relief valve in the oil pump causing them to stay open and that when oil pressure drops. IMG_2675.jpeg

enloe, hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Hell No!!! :p

16. Just remember @Lloyd's paint & glass tje
    Last engine I put together threw a rod at about a minute and a half of total run time…I feel your pain brother.

17. Thanks Brother. The only reason it wasn’t worse is because we were on my sidecar bike. Little Truckdoctor and I are a little banged up, but we had helmets on. I do completely understand why you quit riding, and this has caused me to stop and think. I’m sure sorry about your engine, that sucks.

18. It's all good buddy, heal up quick! I've got a plan, I'm never gonna have to worry about overheating, oil pressure, etc, just need a charging port, because I'm gonna put an electric motor in it! :D:D:D

19. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

Damnit man,dont do it

20. 10 lbs oil pressure for each 1000 rpm

21. I had a 318 that lived a long happy life with about 4psi of oil pressure at idle

22. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Is the oil pump on the engine a new one? I bought a new name brand high volume oil pump for the Styleline and when we checked it prior to installing, we found out that the pressure system in it was bad. It wouldn't hold pressure so as soon as the RPM drops it looses pressure. It could be there is nothing wrong with the engine. We checked the regulating spring and valve and it was a machining issue on the pump itself. So, it is possible that the two problems are not related and you simply noticed the oil pressure issue as you were looking closer after the radiator contamination issue. This seems to be the new normal, workmanship just isn't to the same standard we grew up with anymore. Good luck with your rebuild, but double check everything and make sure it is needed before you pull the trigger.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. No this is an old worn out engine, was supposedly rebuilt but it hasn't been

24. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

I know the pain of a supposedly rebuilt engine. Mine was supposed to be a 383 and turned out to be a worn out 40 over 350 which is why the 51 is getting a big block now. Depending on how worn out it really is, you might get by with a few minor repairs to get you moving while you build what you want exactly how you want it as a replacement.

25. Ya sure you've got a long enough extension cord to make it to the liquor store?

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

5 psi of oil pressure at an idle, in drive, with the water temp at 200, isn't too much of a problem as long as the pressure jumps up with an RPM increase. 10 PSI per 1,000 rpm on a motor at operating temp is all that is required. Your motor is probably not idling anywhere near 1,000 rpm in drive.

We all would like to see it higher, but that in itself isn't a death blow. I've had several motors that I would have been thrilled to have 5 psi of oil pressure at a hot idle in gear. All of them went many miles in that condition (even outlasted the car they were in).

Could be as simple as the oil filter, so an oil change might help a lot. A heavier oil (20W 50) would probably raise the pressure some. Increasing the idle rpm another 50 - 100 rpm could solve the problem as well.

She ain't dead until the rods are hanging out the side, I have a hard time pulling still running motors. Loose motors rev faster....;):D

27. I finally got a chance to change the oil in the truck, I put Rotella t4 in it, and a new wix filter, must've been some truth to it. It idles at 30lbs in park, pull it in gear and it doesn't drop below 20psi now at 180⁰. It's idling at 1000rpm in park, around 800 in gear. I'm happier now :D

28. As long as the Ford has a Chevy engine in it you should be righteous. :rolleyes:

29. That is awesome Brother,

Now get out & enjoy it!!!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/