Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Amusing car stuff / funny / stories / pics , print / whatcha got

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop40, Jan 16, 2024.

1. safetythird

safetythird

Soon, another police cruiser shows up, parks behind the first, and the officer get out, walks over and has a talk with the first officer. Second policeman walks back to the traffic, and starts hand directing the traffic to go around my disaster scene.
    The first officer comes to the cab and says, "Boy, don't just sit there, come help get this straightened out, you're messing up my highway." I wonder what in Hell's name I'm going to do, but comply. He gets in his car and gets on the radio. All I can think of to do is slowly pace between the truck and the battery. And look worried. I mean, what else can I do?
    I see the battery acid is running down the road in little rivlets, downhill across the other lane. All the traffic is rolling through this, causing little sprays of acid onto the underside of their cars. Have fun with that, I'm thinking.
    Thirty minutes, an hour goes by. The cop makes small talk, where I'm from, how long I've worked there. I think he's sizing me up for the ensuing chase when I try to flee the scene. An Overland Park municpal truck shows up, a big light blue dumptruck. Couple of jumpsuited guys climb out, open their tailgate, and start loading the wheelbarrow they brought with the sand. They start at the battery, which is still slowly leaking acid, and start spreading sand on the spill. Policeman now blocks traffic in the right hand lane, so the City crew can spread more sand.
    About this time a Kansas Highway patrolman shows up behind the second police car. Gets out, puts on his stiff, flat brimed dark blue HP hat, and joins the first policeman, again for a chat. He surveys the scene, comes over to me, and says, "You've made a big mess on my highway, young man. This is going to be a real problem when lunch hour arrives if you don't have this cleaned up by then." He rejoins the other officer.
    A Few minutes later, the second Highway Patrol car shows up. He blocks my lane down aways by parking sideways, starts waving traffic into the right hand lane. Third police cruiser shows up, parking in the right hand shoulder, this one marked Supervisor.
    The police have a meeting. Second cruiser decides to leave. I get to explain the whole shebang to the Sargent. "Hmm. UhHuh. When is your tiltbed getting here?" I tell him, "dunno". He returns to his car and works on getting ahold of my dealership.

swifty and Sharpone like this.
  2. safetythird

safetythird

Finally, in the slow moving traffic, here comes TJ in the yellow International 22 ft. truck. He gets there at 10:30 a.m., I've been out here for 2 hours waiting for him.
    He's brought a solid wheeled White Mobilift forktruck on the International. Takes him a half hour of putzing about to start winching the forklift down to the highway. The Highway patrol has had to move their cars, the first O.P. policeman has moved his, in order to give the delivery truck some room. We now have my truck, the battery, the 22 ft truck, a patrol cruiser, two H.P. cruisers and then a half mile of backed up traffic all in a row. 12 noon rolls around.
    I get on the forklift, and squeezing by the delivery truck, I start driving right next to the shoulder of the median. I head for the battery. Bumpy ride for this solid wheeled forklift, here on 50 highway. The forks clang loudly as the forklift bounces along.
    I get the forklift about half way to the battery. I'm concentrating on steering the damn thing in front of all these law enforcement officers. I'm looking at all the traffic, backed up a long ways. The the right rear wheel of the forklift closest to the paved shoulder drops off the pavement into the sand. With a hard thud, the forklift stops moving.

3. safetythird

safetythird

I've highcentered the forklift.
    I chug, I back up, I chug, I burn rubber with the front drive wheels. This &^%*er isn't going to budge. I've managed to stick another ton of iron in the middle of 50 Highway.
    Officer close by watching all this turns red in the face, comes over and proceeds to verbally blast me, face to face. I hadn't heard that many descriptions for Dumbshit, ever. Well, it probably wasn't that bad, but he was mad.
    I finally stammer that I'll fix this if I can. I go and talk to TJ, who's kicked back in the cab of his yellow International, dreaming of beer no doubt, and listening to C&W on the radio. After an exasperating conversation with him, he decides we can winch the thing back off the highway. But to pull it, he's got to get the delivery truck across the other lane into the shoulder and grass past the right hand lane to clear the forklift. So, now we're moving H.P. cars, and police cruisers out further back so TJ can get his delivery truck out of line and in to the right hand lane. The officers block the remaining lane with a Highway Patrol car.
    By the time TJ has the delivery truck situated, it's 2 p.m. in the afternoon. Almost 6 hours...

4. safetythird

safetythird

We commence the winch operation. The winch does a good job, yanks the forklift off the highcenter and back onto the highway. Highway Patrol shows up with ANOTHER car. This one says Supervisor also. I sink lower into depression as I explain to this 6 ft. 2 in. Highway Patrol Supervisor in stiff brimmed hat that I'm going to "fix" this as quickly as I can. He stares at me for what seems like another day, frowns and walks away without saying a word.
    I just know the reason HE"S shown up is they'll pack me into his trunk when I "fix" this and I'll never be heard from again.
    The whole circus has now had traffic backed up behind 3 Highway Patrol cars, two police cruisers, the delivery truck blocking the other lane, the forklift, the battery and finally my forlorn Ford pick-up without a tailgate.
    Traffic is backed up clear out of sight, several miles, in both lanes.
    After the winch operation, Tj jockeys the delivery truck backwards into line so the traffic can at least pass in the right hand lane. It's going to be quite awhile before some of this traffic even moves. Cars, semi's, everything.
    It's 3 oclock.
    I get some chains off of TJ's truck, and wrapping them as best I can through and around the steel lift loops at the top of the battery's steel encasement, I pick the battery up off the highway with the lift truck. The battery slips a little, starts a slow swing back and forth as it clears the pavement.

Sharpone likes this.
  5. safetythird

safetythird

I get the battery off the pavement and inch forward with the fork truck. The swing is slight, but there. I get to the back of the Ford. I start raising the battery up slowly. About three feet of the ground, the battery slips violently, catchs with a shudder, then finally slips out of it's chains completely and slams onto the highway again, albeit in a different spot. At least it's resting place is closer.
    I am sweating heavily. I've had nothing to drink since 8 a.m., no lunch, I'm shaking from this whole thing. Adrenaline kicks in again, and I'm back in the saddle in no time, chains resecured. Lifting the battery begins for the second time.
    I don't know anything about securing chains at this point in my young life, how you must snag the links against themselves at a 90 degree angle. The laws of physics come into play again, this time after I've got the battery up and over the end of the pick-up.
    The battery swings at an angle as the chains slip, the steel case slides off to one side, bangs up against the bed rails of the Ford, once, twice. The third time is the charm: It pinches one of the inch thick battery cables off between the case and the truck, the battery slips again, the swinging starts again, the battery cable starts touching off on the truck, and with each touch there is a whitelight fireball the size of a cantelope!

{{BBBRRRUUVVVMMMPPP}}

{{BBBRRRUUVVVMMMPPP}}

{{BBBRRRUUVVVMMMPPP}}

Blowing holes right through the Ford.

6. safetythird

safetythird

I set the battery down as fast as the forklift will go. The body has 4 or 5 holes burned right through it. It looks like a war zone derelict now. Faded old yellow Ford with a paint peeled bent bed, holes torched through it, carting around a folded up tailgate, busted pallet, loose steel banding, chains, and a giant battery laying on it's side. It should just be driven into the Missouri River next, finish the job. What did the battery weigh, 2 thousand lbs.? It had the half ton crushed down to the limit. I feel it was a very poor vehicle choice. the flat bed truck should have been used, but the boss was cutting a few corners that morning. Maybe this isn't my fault. Ha.
    I remember it was a 36 volt battery. But to be strong enough to blow 6" diameter holes through sheet steel, I'd hazard a guess it must have been maybe a thousand amps.
    I don't recall just what the cops are doing at this point, probably have the guns drawn, ready to fire back...
    Now, we're all not sure how to proceed. TJ runs and gets a 6 ft. 2x4 from his International. Carefully, he picks the cables up, and sort of lays them on top the battery out of the way.
    We go through the long process of loading the forklift back on the delivery truck. Traffic is crawling by. Rubberneckers glaring at me.
    Finally, everything is ready to go. It is 5:30 p.m.
    I climb in the Ford. A Highway Patrolman walks up.
    He says, "I could probably have you arrested for several things, and at minimum write you up for about a half dozen tickets. But you've had such a bad day, boy.....I'm going to let you go."
    This sort of experience sticks with a guy. 37 years later and the memory is still clear.
    I cannot drive through that intersection today without a touch of the horror. Looking at things historically, I don't think my luck is really any different than anyone else's, mine just idles along as pretty good. But then I did have this one DaisyCutter episode.

The End.

29A-V8, shorrock, brando1956 and 20 others like this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would say yes!

Tow Truck Tom and Sharpone like this.
  8. duecesteve

duecesteve

That's sucks and no I didn't that's frekkin scary that sucker had to come up near his feet?

loudbang, Tow Truck Tom and Sharpone like this.
  9. duecesteve

duecesteve

Might be the only way you can see what's in front of you?

10. Sharpone

Sharpone

skooch, Speccie and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  11. Sharpone

Sharpone

This would make a good C&W song or album.
    Dan

down-the-road and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  12. safetythird....man that would make a great storyline in a MGM comedy movie! Just wow!

13. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cuttin up a firewall....by the Revolution band...

14. clem

clem

sure ! :):):)

Longest post that I have ever read, and looking at your user name and the exacting detail given, one could not help but wonder who the real author is.
    Either way, I can’t help feeling for your ‘buddy’. Thanks for taking the time to post.
    Ouch, I am still cringing……….

15. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

16. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

17. So what happened with the boss when he got back to the shop? Did the kid get fired? Did he get a bonus for Hazzard Pay? Did he marry the boss's daughter? What??
    It's an incomplete story if there's no ending. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    Just Gary, Cooon, Sharpone and 3 others like this.
  18. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Regarding the battery battering:
    The manager(s) receiving and/or shippimg, were grossly inept in choosing such a conveyance, and no legal ( hazmat ) securement.
    BUT, Then again, I can't count the number of times, when I hauled flatbed tractor trailer, that a shipper upon seeing me perform the tie-down process of a heavy piece, would comment
    "That's not gonna go anywhere"...
    I'm thinking "Yeah right, just 5 states away at a mile a minute."
    I never lost a piece.
    You can't cheat the laws of physics.
    Also surprised the officers did not step in, to call upon a certified recovery crew.

Sharpone, SS327 and firstinsteele like this.
  19. clem

clem

were any of these things available in 1973 ?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  20. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Wee-ell let me think. Uh oh somthing's burning gotta run.
    Get back to ya.
    Just took a look, those regs came about in 1975.
    Good catch clem.
    I still think the bosses should have had a clue:confused:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Sharpone and clem like this.
  21. YES

Ben

Sharpone likes this.
  22. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Available" doesn't mean everyone has one.

Sharpone and 51504bat like this.
  23. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I hauled one of those big batteries in a pickup once, but it was a diesel duelly F-350.

Gary

Sharpone likes this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

I worked in Factory maintenance for several years. Most factory or shop managers have no clue about anything to do with weight, or moving heavy objects. They think everything big is just an empty cardboard box.

At one shop they demanded that I move a 12,000lbs machine with a 10,000lbs fork truck. They didn't believe me when I told them the fork truck wouldn't even lift it, and I had no intension of even trying. I had to show him the bill of lauding with the machine's weight on it, and the fork truck capacity sticker. Then I ended up writing both weights side by side on a piece of paper and convince the CEO that it was his idea that the machine was heavier then the fork truck capacity was.

From that point on, it was my job to explain to the CEO why there were things we simply did not have the equipment to do what he wanted done. We finally got to the point where the CEO wanted me explain a lot of things to him. I had the ability's to communicate mechanical things into a language he could understand.

Upper management these days are probably worse, they don't think anyone without a degree knows anything.

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2024-4-22_3-48-22.png "The 1957 Chevy radio used tubes that required only 12 volts of plate voltage and a transistor for the output stage. This lowered the power drain on the battery to an insignificant amount when the engine was off. Playing the radio with conventional tubes for extended periods occasionally drained the battery to the extent that it could not start the car."

Hello,

My friend was one of the first teenagers to have a car. It was a used white 57 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop Sedan. It was an automatic transmission and a 283 with a 4 barrel carb. It was a very smooth running car. Fast for what it was, but very smooth and reliable. Just flick it into drive and go anywhere. It was as stock as the day it rolled off of the factory assembly lines. It was white, to boot. But, for a first teenage car, it was the whole world that opened up and it did not matter what was moving, at least we were moving…
    upload_2024-4-22_3-50-10.png old artwork
    His radio was supposed to be one of the best on the market. The sound was very good for us as we lowered the windows and cruised to all of the spots on our teenage cruising scene. Mostly in Bixby Knolls as that is where our high school friends all hung out from the past history of teens from our high school.

“The 1957 Chevrolet Wonderbar boasted a factory-installed radio that revolutionized in-car entertainment, offering an immersive audio experience. This radio, known as the Wonderbar, was an optional feature that epitomized cutting-edge technology of its time."

"Central to the 1957 Chevrolet Wonderbar was its AM broadcasting capability, enabling occupants to enjoy radio broadcasts on their journeys. However, the most notable feature of this radio was its innovative push-button tuning system. Departing from traditional knob-based tuning, these push buttons allowed users to effortlessly select their preferred radio stations with a simple touch, enhancing ease of use and convenience."

"The design of the Wonderbar seamlessly integrated into the Chevy's dashboard, becoming a hallmark of elegance and sophistication. Its backlit dial emitted a soft, radiant glow, not only adding a vintage allure but also contributing to the overall aesthetic appeal of the car's interior, encapsulating the essence of automotive elegance from that era."

"Beyond its visual appeal, the 1957 Chevrolet Wonderbar radio offered exceptional audio quality, delivering clear and reliable reception. It provided occupants with a harmonious blend of entertainment and connectivity, enhancing the driving experience and infusing journeys with a nostalgic ambiance.”

My friend who owned a highly modified 57 Chevy Bel Air hardtop and I had already experienced riding around in a 1953 first gen. Corvette. We liked it as it was small and different than what we owned. Our experience with a 1960 Corvette was during our high school days. My friend with the 57 Chevy Bel Air and I were responsible for exchanging a dual quad set up with his single four barrel carb on a 60 Corvette. The owner did not like the dual quads and wanted an easier driving Corvette.

Since we had the Corvette for a couple of days, the trips all over the local cruising grounds were a must prior to making the exchange. The Cherry Avenue Drags location got a full use activity and it was exhilarating. The small body, the powerful sound of the dual quads while we were plastered to the tight bucket seats was outstanding.

Who got the best of the exchange? Well, the 57 Chevy was the only one in Long Beach to have dual quads and a 4 speed we installed. With my 4:11 Positraction gears in his car, Hedman Headers and Traction Masters, my friend’s 57 was nearly “unbeatable” on the Bixby Knolls streets. (“nearly”) As for the Corvette? The owner did not feel as though he was second in happiness. The easier driving Corvette was just what he wanted and it paid off in dividends for both parties.

Jnaki

But, no one told us that if we played the Wonderbar radio a lot, in succession as far as time on versus time off, it would eventually drain the battery. So, while we were talking and waiting for the first show at the local drive in, we played music on the radio. Then during half time, the radio was again played and we were fine with that. Finally, our friends in other cars were talking and messing around, so, while we were waiting around for them to finish, we played the radio, again.

What about the movie? The first show was exciting and new. The second show was a little on the bad side and we lost track of time and as we played music, we made funny caricatures of the stars on the screen. But, lost time as we kept playing the radio.

Soon, we were all ready to go out and continue our cruising around adventures. The long 2nd movie was still playing. So, we tried to start the 57 Chevy to get going. No sound other than a “click.” So, we tried again, to no movement in the motor. “Dead battery” was the opinion of all, around our Chevy sedan. What? We only played the radio a few times and it was fine.

Note:

It is funny, now, but back then, a serious laughing moment to see a couple of teenagers pushing the 57 Chevy out of the drive-in theater roads as the movie was playing. The call from the snack bar to the local towing place was made and they said they could not come into the theater property. If we could move the car outside of the exit gate, then they would be there to jumpstart or tow the car to the local gas station for service.

It was not only the other cars’ occupants that thought we were silly, pushing the 57 Chevy, but our friends started the barrage of loud, teenage comments to go along with the hilarious moment. Yes, even the so called low power drain of the new fangled radio still drains the battery as the radio gets played.

On Monday morning in school, we did answer a lot of questions about a couple of teens pushing a white 57 Chevy down the side road leading to the drive-in theater exit… along with some chuckles at the two hot rod mechanics needing help… It was hard to live that very public display down, as most of those in the popular drive-in theater that night saw a spectacle normally, not seen... YRMV

26. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Coker "out of round" return department.

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Man there has to be a decent 6.70x15 mud & snow whitewall in here somewhere.

28. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER