Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods the California kid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moneymaker, May 22, 2015.

1. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Costa Mesa Kid was cover car in Aug. 1977. First Rod Action I ever bought, and it was because of that car on the cover.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  2. Baldies

Baldies

Until I saw this I always thought the front suspension was Dodge torsion bar. Remember, Sheen kept adjusting torsion bars until the car cornered just right?

3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I seem to remember that HRM feature, but when listed in the build specs, it states "Real Wheels" front & rear, but in truth when built it had Halibrand Small Windows up front, Romeo Palamides American Racing 4 windows in the rear off of Pete's T-Bucket that was his Vintage Tin Car Club ride.

I presume that the Tech Specs were mimicking the R&C Nov 73 Coupe-arison
    tech sheet when The Kid was built, but with a lil plug for Eric Vaughn on the "Real Wheels" manufactured by Eric form 1984 to the Millennium-(Presently known as "Real Rodders Wheels").

Later it ran a set of steelies on bias-plies for the movie. When received back from Cris Carrier it was still on steelies, then in 1982 Paris Fish made his "Fish Products Wheels" that I believe Eric Vaughn machined for him. That set of wheels stayed on tll 1995??? then a set of Wellington, KS. set of Halibrands ended up on it and I believe it has a set of Solids on Radials as well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  4. Anybody have a pic. of the Costa Mesa Kid? I remember seeing it from my gas pumping days in Hawaiian Gardens.....

5. Red 'n' White forever baby. ;)

I have seen the red n white pin stripe on several clone cars and the first time I got up close and personal with the real "Kid" it threw me off. I guess there is nothing wrong with a little personalization if it is a tribute and not a clone. :)

6. TerryT35

TerryT35
    from Minnesota

A pic of me and the car. It was taken Saturday.

[​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

As a preteen kid on a 20” bike, this first image is what I recall riding around and exploring in Temple City. IMG_8309.jpeg I later saw it all Raven Black , then looking like this next. IMG_6666.jpeg IMG_6668.jpeg The next time I saw it was on Las Tunas Dr.
    IMG_0907.jpeg IMG_9775.jpeg
    Then it was gone for a while. Was then in CT. with Cris Carrier.
    IMG_0906.jpeg Then back in So-Cal in Temple City.
    In 1982 some changes took place with it and it became this version IMG_0734.jpeg Then gone again to MO. Where this picture was taken. and last this version which it maintains today. IMG_2510.jpeg It’s been a very interesting ride around the neighborhood. ;).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  8. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Here’s a shot of the kid I have loved for years in Big M’s driveway!!!
    50AC4861-96B1-4DED-95EE-D1C45BD72814.jpeg

lurker mick, LOST ANGEL, Tim and 6 others like this.
  9. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Here’s a cool before and after of the kid
    First is how it looked when Pete got it home
    Last is the final version of the kid
    8AD78B05-1E75-47E2-82CB-3C05D6767237.jpeg E3D43136-03F1-4F45-860D-63EEE1F2ADD6.jpeg

10. 57Fury440

57Fury440

I liked the 57 2 door cop car. I think the California kid would have spun out before the Plymouth.

11. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I worked with a fireman in Los Angeles county, San dimes who said he sold the 3 window to Pete. Can't prove it though.

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hey Kevin I hope you don’t mind me asking how tall you were in your preteen days. You must have been REALLY tall if you were riding around on a twenty foot bike! LOL

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That’s ;)!!! I must’ve been walking tall!!!!! Better go edit it.

14. Bob, IIRC the east coast rodder was Chris Carrier from West Hartford, Connecticut. Chris gave ne a ride in the car down the Berlin Turnpike in Newington, Connecticut. And yes the engine was a SBF.

The37Kid likes this.
  15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call me sheltered, uninformed, a heretic, I've never seen the movie. I like the car but it never bumped my rev limiter like Jake's does.