Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Good to hear Brian.

2. dearjose

dearjose

I've said it many times. Cars fkn killer. Thx for taking us along. On another note you gotta love those badass old timers. No earplugs, no mask, wht looks like a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, cool as a cucumber. Love it.

3. That's Jerry Newman aka nitro helper. He has been doing this since 1962. No cigarette. I asked him how he can take all the fumes. He just said I have been doing this along time I'm imunne to it. Jerry works on several big show nitro cars. He is a legend locally and in the nitro world. I'm very fortunate to have gotten into a circle of cool old nitro guys that are teaching me the finer points of big nitro. Lots to learn.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  4. Jerry is the one standing to the right of the engine.

Different car, same job, different combo, same results, and still a bad ass.

339907468_2503584326483755_7729833533772240617_n.jpg

5. He is the man. I'm lucky he is so patient and explains things so well. These guys are getting hard to find. I'm getting all the info I can before it's too late.

6. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

How sweet it is! How do your neighbors feel about about that pipe music?:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. I don't really have neighbors. I live in the middle of a corn field. A cemetery is across the street. They haven't complained. Down the road are some cows. They are cool with it. It's nice living out in a small farm town. Try that in a small town applies here. Enough said on that.

8. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Sunday morning, a long way from a cornfield in Franksville, and those two videos have me grinning like a Cheshire cat.

That lumpy idle and spurts of header flame remind me of a WW2 fighter.

Very cool.

cheers,
    Harv

9. Every time I try to watch the videos from Calkins,,,,,,it buzzes for a half second and goes back to the start .

Tommy

10. Sweet music Brian, sounds terrific. I see you are definitely in very capable hands, making sure your monster is just right. What were the temps at the pipes running at? They should be around 450-500, is that correct?

11. No. That's way too hot. First it depends on if the pipe is bare steel or coated. It changes the temperature we are looking for. A coated pipe will show a much cooler temp by a hundred degrees roughly. With that said we are shooting for 175-200 degrees. The reading should be taken in the same spot on each pipe. Taking the reading about eight inches to a foot from the flange gives a more consistent measurement.
    The big thing is to get them as even as possible. Start with the hottest ones first. Giving more fuel to a few takes fuel away from the rest bringing up the temp on the colder ones. It's a big game of back and fourth. It takes several attempts. Once that is done the barrel valve is adjusted to bring them all to the desired temp. When it's right the engine will sound completely different than when you started. Good questiin.

12. Nice to see you are getting Jerry out and about from Lannon ! :D

racer-x likes this.
  13. I met Jerry through AL McFadyen. Jerry needed a nitro car for his car show in Lannon. The cars he usually had couldn't make it. I offered to fill in for them. Our friendship grew from there. It's what got me into the circle of old time nitro guys. All the nitro guys hung out by my car. The stories they were telling were priceless. I go back every year now. How many car shows have multiple nitro cars firing up along with a record setting rocket car on display?

14. Yes, there is quite the community of old speed guys in that area almost all in their 80's now. They even had their own car club called The Oil Burners. Privileged to have met most of them because of a 40 year friendship with one of them. A bunch worked at Schlieper's Speed Shop back in the day too. Great old stories for sure. I met Al after a mutual friend passed away a couple years ago. Another good guy.

15. Those guys are the real deal. Bernie Adam's; Pete Farnsworth; AL McFadyen etc. Look these guys up for a list of their accomplishments. It's amazing what they have done. Bernie and AL have been coming out to the track with me lately.

16. Thanks for the explanation of my question, I also try to learn all I can.

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  17. John Shepard stopped by today to freshen up some pin striping. When the brush gets in his hand step back. He did some extras and my helmet. 20240419_150300.jpg 20240419_180248.jpg 20240419_150439.jpg

18. dearjose

dearjose

Ru going to lose the s/fc since it's no longer on the street? Looking at pics from the 60s, would this car be an aa/fa? Or a/fc? When did the a/fc and b and c(?) fuel coupe classes disappear, or did they get absobed by the altered class. I'm unsure of the history. Anyway, what class will you be running this year?
    Screenshot_20240420_005116_Chrome.jpg
    Love the panel striping

19. We talked about changing sfc to a AA/FA. We also talked about doing gold leaf on the panel. John prefers the car to be at his shop to do it. I just don't know when that will work out.

20. It just keeps getting better

mad mikey, racer-x and 427 sleeper like this.
  21. I didn't get the top of the helmet. John likes to put this saying on the race cars he does. It's on the puke tank. 20240420_105938.jpg 20240420_105942.jpg

enloe, OFT, chryslerfan55 and 15 others like this.
  22. Very nice, John did a great job.

57 Fargo likes this.
  23. Screenshot_20220123-175339_Photos.jpg He did all the work on the 65 including the gold leaf.

24. the car will be at jefferson swap meet this weekend. nitro fire ups will be happening both days. stop by for some nitro. grab a beer.

enloe, saltflats, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  25. Have a great time Brian. Wish I could be there for the fire ups.

loudbang likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll have a Leinenkugel!

racer-x and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Duster418

Duster418

Always thought this car was awesome! Looks great

racer-x likes this.
  28. Being the featured car at Jefferson this year got me on the cover of the program and on the t shirt. It's a cool local honor. I have been coming to this event since 1983. Stop out for alot of good parts stay for the nitro. High noon at my trailer. 20240425_150847.jpg 20240425_150917.jpg

saltflats, OFT, loudbang and 10 others like this.
  29. Must be very rewarding to be featured like that at a show you have such history with. Congrats!