Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody know old outboards?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by davidconwill_hemmings, Apr 12, 2024.

1. We are deaccessioning some items from the (now-closed) Hemmings Motor News museum in Bennington to make room for our project vehicles/raise funds for our '36 Chevy panel-truck project. I've been asked to handle disposal of our collection of antique outboard motors. This is a slight problem because while I love boats, I know very little about them--especially outboards.

Chris Craft Challenger resized.jpg Mercury 5hp cropped resized.jpg

Anyone have a suggestion as to where I can research these (and a few others) to make sure I'm sending them off to good/informed owners? I am hoping to avoid using Facebook for collector groups as I haven't touched my dormant account in a few years now and am in no hurry to go back!

Okie Pete and down-the-road like this.
  2. David, there was a time in my life that I had a sizeable (15-20 or so) collection of antique, tiny outboards. I used to buy them in running condition for no more than 10-15 bucks. BUT now , like everything else they seem to worth their weight in gold, especially the more obscure brands. I would say $100 +for the Chris Craft and probably 50+/- for the Merc ( only because of the condition and missing shrouding). I consider them to be "jewelry", good for decoration for theme restaurants, display and such... There is a chance of me being off on my estimates though. Good luck, Mitch

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  3. I agree with Mitch, his prices are pretty much on the money. I was a long time collector (I still have 5), and just keep them around for the occasional antique engine shows.
    They don’t bring that much. I have had a couple of “holy grail” outboards over the years but sold or traded them off long ago…

Okie Pete likes this.
  4. tractorguy

tractorguy

If by any chance you have an ELTO 4cyl I would certainly be a buyer. Still angry with myself that I let two go when I never thought I would get to my rail frame midget project. Good luck with your project and dispersal.

Okie Pete likes this.

5. Thanks for the input fellas. I'll be trying to get a more detailed inventory of what we have soon, but I'm pretty busy between now and the middle of May. Now, I just have to figure out where the buyers are, since these look like they'd be a bear to ship anywhere. I've seen a few for sale here at the Spring Carlisle swap meet this week, but I haven't seen anyone carting one off as a purchase.

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

davidconwill_hemmings likes this.
  7. David, the "FRESHWATER FISHING HALL OF FAME" in Hayward Wisconsin has a large, large display of outboards, that is where my inspiration came from. Someone involved with the place might have a good idea on values maybe. Mitch

davidconwill_hemmings likes this.