Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swap Meet Season

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 19, 2024.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Swap Meet Season

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Nobey

Nobey

That looks like it was a good meet. I'm going to the Antique Tractor and Swap at the Tulare Ag
    center this morning. They haven't held it in a few years and like you, I'm excited.....

tractorguy and Sharpone like this.
  3. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Sunday, April 21.

Sac-Swap-Meet.jpeg Sac-Swap-Meet.jpeg

trulyvintage and Sharpone like this.
  4. fuzzface

fuzzface

Madison Classics, Jefferson Wi. swap meet is 1 week away only. April 26-27 2024. just Friday and Saturday, no Sunday this year

trulyvintage, tractorguy and Sharpone like this.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Free admission. Free parking and vendor spaces only $5.00
    swap meet 001.jpg

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rhinebeck, N.Y. starts the swap meet season in the Tri State region weekend of May 4-5

trulyvintage, Sharpone and Toms Dogs like this.
  7. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

There is nothing like a swap meet. Good or bad swap meet, it is still a great day! It is great looking at the rust, I mean gold!

trulyvintage, Sharpone and The37Kid like this.
  8. hepme

hepme

Man, I'm jealous! Have a '51 original Ferguson that's just great--but as you know, too much is never enough! Well, there is this nameplate----

tractorguy and Sharpone like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Anymore, it seems like swap meets are simply a chance to meet up with old friends I haven't seen in a long time. The older parts are no longer showing up. The vendors are dying off. The last swap meet, I didn't buy anything. Probably because I'm trying to build something no one else in their right mind is considering.

bschwoeble and Sharpone like this.
  10. My first time to the All Ford swap (20 years ago o_O) I bought a NOS Stromberg which is still on the truck today. I will probably be getting a set of brand new ones though for tuning way up here in the mile high city. The others will go on a shelf for future rebuild.

11. Bentrodder

Bentrodder
    from Cotati

I remember as a kid helping my dad load up the trailer full of stuff the night before, get up a the crack of dawn to get there, unload all the stuff in the dark, all to put it back in the trailer and then barn that afternoon. Now that I am the age he was, if i want to sell something I just snap a pic and post it online. Much easier. I still go to as many swap meets as I can and get excited about the season but it is more of a social event then buying event.

Sharpone likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’m a sucker for good spring swap meet. I could only buy a $45 hot dog and tiny bag of chips and still have a fantastic time.

Beanscoot and Sharpone like this.
  13. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, the last swap meet I went to the only thing I bought was a 134lb Kohlswa Anvil, thank god I brought a hand-truck, that was the last thing I expected to buy. That's how I approach meets nowadays, I just wander around looking for something rare, unique, or heavy! :D
    PXL_20230429_202446552.jpg PXL_20230818_155425169.MP.jpg

14. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Sadly, with the internet and the aging of people in our hobby swap meets are kinda dying out. As stated by other members nothing beats a good swap meet, being able to put hands on things and look someone in the eye and joust for a final price, or just about breaking your arm going for your wallet. Seeing old friends and making new ones.
    I look forward all winter to swap meet season.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

After 63 years of swap meets I find myself remembering all the great people and deals they provided, the current meet may not be the same, and the fantastic deals of the past are long gone but the Great Memories last forever.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really miss the Big 3 meet in San Diego. Even when it rained:cool:

deucemac, Irish Mike, bob b. and 2 others like this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Thinking of taking some stuff to the LARS. I always have a space but it's usually just for parking. Swapping stops me from cruising the swap and buying more stuff and checking out the vendors and hot rods. I've accumulated quite a few nice deuce grille shells plus just a pot pouri of other parts. I'll probably come to my senses by time to leave for CA and just do the show like I've done for the last almost 30 years. At my age now it's riding my scooter and buying more grille shells?

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

ding-dang-darn it all! I missed it again :(
    I don't even have an old Ford but that little swap reminds me of the old days.
    plus I like the store/museum.

Sharpone likes this.
  19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those of us up here in the Pacific Northwest, just a reminder that the Monroe Swap-meet is happening next month.
    Thanks from Dennis.

monroe swapmeet 2024.jpg

20. Pate Swap Meet - April 25-27 - Texas Motor Speedway

21. I went to spring Carlisle yesterday. It was not a good day for me health wise, ( kidney dialysis ) I only covered 8 rows, but I spent most of my time socializing. As I have said before, it is not the parts, it is the people. I am not as active as I used to be, so I appreciate seeing and talking with people that I only see once, or twice a year.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    40 Olds, Paul B, trulyvintage and 4 others like this.
  22. Me too.....BIG TIME. Walking the whole day (7-5) and rushing the last isle before it closed. Just being there made me happy.

Now it's just local club swaps (T, A and early V8), the one that just passed in San Diego and LARS. I'm going to shoot for the Famoso swap in Bakersfield. I really miss the big swaps, local club ones are maybe 10-15 sellers except the Long Beach Model T club.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would rather drive 500 miles to go to a swap meet than go to a car show a mile away.....

verno30, bschwoeble, LSGUN and 16 others like this.
  24. Sharpone

Sharpone

Love swap meets, sometimes you just don’t know what you need until you see it.

25. 1biggun

1biggun

I noticed that.
    Used to go on Friday while people set up . Wonder if Thursday is doable now at 10 AM
    Took Friday off already need to see when the gate opens now .

Hope the weather is OK.

26. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah Jefferson was a big part of my childhood, we used to go out for both spring and fall, jokingly referred to a "Spring-Winter" and "Fall-Winter" due to the constant threat of snowfall. :p

As a kid walking around buying hot-wheels and go-cart parts surely led to me car-obsession, and the folks at that show were always entertaining to interact with. Very fond memories of haggling as a 9yr old with someone in their 70s... :rolleyes:

trulyvintage, Sharpone and The37Kid like this.
  27. fuzzface

fuzzface

Friday they open at 8 til 4 and Saturday they open at 6 til 4 . flyer has nothing about Thursday at all. spectator admission is $15 but free parking.

They one in fall is the same way Friday Sep. 27 8-4 and Saturday. Sep. 28 6-4 and no Sunday.

also on the registration flyer they are advertising Gary's hot rod reunion June 15th 2024 at Union Grove Racine county fairgrounds. first annual show.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  28. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

That's cool, Kohlswa is my hometown (more of a village).

29. 1biggun

1biggun

Looking 70% chance of rain on Friday and also rain on Sunday.

In the past you could get in on a Friday even though it was never advertised as open to non venders . So more and more went a day early . After covid there was more people on Friday than most Saturdays two years ago .
    Gary will take money any way he can get it out of that show for any thing and every thing .

Years and years back they opened at day light and went much later . I stopped selling there years and years ago . About froze to death there one night LOL

30. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Early Ford Club Swap Meet at
    Fitchburg Airport
    Fitchburg, Mass.
    Sunday April 28th
    The best swap meet of the year
    I'll be at site 150 with @mike bowling

Paul B, ABONES, The37Kid and 2 others like this.