Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the best choice in spark plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Apr 6, 2024.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Here is wishing you the happiest of birthdays, you spring chicken you. Wanna trade hot rods ??

Deuces and Sharpone like this.
  2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I turn 61 today!

I had good luck with the 4-electrode Lodges in the '80s.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Mine's off topic....:(

4. Deuces

Deuces

Happy Birthday Ned!!!!.....:);)

Ned Ludd likes this.
  5. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

Thought I’d put this here since I’m sure nobody wants to see another spark plug thread, at least not in the same week, but I’m hoping someone could help me figure out what spark plugs I need…
    I was told this was a 1970 350cid. I haven’t looked up the numbers on the block to confirm.
    I’ve heard that in either 70 or 71 they changed the heads from flat type plugs to tapered seat plugs. Pulled the valve covers and this is what was on both heads: 8947040
    Can any sbc experts tell me what year these heads are and if they need flat or tapered seal plugs? And also what model # NGK plugs should be used?

6. Sharpone

Sharpone

The beatings will continue until morale improves
    Dan

7. RodStRace

RodStRace

GlassThamesDoug and Sharpone like this.
  8. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I used a set of Champion in my late model 4.6 motor because they were making the one piece plug in place of the two piece OE style that Ford used that would break. Out of the box I had two misfires I didn't have before. Read the code, had those two plugs swapped under warrantee. A few weeks later, another cylinder, another random misfire. I wound up swapping them all back out.

At the time I told my dad, he was still a Champion guy. He had been building a flathead for his A and swore Champion was where it was at, especially since he had a NOS set that was still made in USA in his motor. That motor didn't have 500 miles or a few months on the road before it had a miss pulling into a cruise night. Got out and saw the plug wire hanging, the porcelain had broke just like RodStRace described. Stopped at the parts store on the way home and put NGK's in it and haven't looked back.

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. 34Larry

34Larry

Now I admit having some trouble with McKim's meaning on this one and I asked at the time " What that "placebo effect" might be?
    Well there Mr. MCjim ??

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  10. NGK over all then AC for GM cars and Champian for Fords.

V8-m, Sharpone and Rocket88NZ like this.
  11. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

A little history…Albert Champion started the AC Spark Plug Company. He sold the company to General Motors, and started the Champion Spark Plug Company.
    I miss the days when quality control ruled in the USA.:(

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every car/truck I’ve owned new since 1996 only gets the exact plug originally installed absolutely no substitution. Ford vehicles for sure. I race with NGKs and my old Yblocks get Autolites.

GlassThamesDoug, Sharpone and Deuces like this.
  13. deucemac

deucemac

All backwords. Albert Champion started Champion Sparkplugs. When William C. Durant started General Motors, he wanted a vertical monopoly. Everything built by GM. He contacted Albert Champion to hire him to build spark plugs. Champion had sold his company but wanted to use his name again. Because Champion Sparkplugs was copyrighted it was impossible for him to use it again. Durant came up with the name A C. Using Champion's initials. Too bad that Cars and Parts magazine is no longer around. Menno Williams wrote excellent articles about our automotive history. He and Arch Brown had encyclopedia automotive menories. Often recalling footnotes in history long forgotten by most of us. I kept all of those issues just because of questions like this.

Sharpone, HemiDeuce and Deuces like this.
  14. Balljoint

Balljoint

I just bought a set of AC Delco plugs for the 63 GP but after reading through the comments I’m inclined to return them and put in a set of NGK.

15. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Racing, Street..Used Champions and AC Delco in Chevies. Not sure what to claim, have not seen any dyno differences yet. I buy vintage plug sets cheaper than new on ebay.

Was told if you want to lose 2 tenths in a qtr mi, install Accel.

16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spark plug tester..... trying this on bench to see if a bad plug can be identified. No data yet.

Race plugs tend to be in yellow box "vintage" I have noticed.

20240417_181157.jpg 20240417_181054.jpg 20240417_181022.jpg

Deuces, loudbang, Sharpone and 2 others like this.
  17. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

My choice NGK from over 30 years and still happy about it.

Deuces, Sharpone and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  18. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran NGK in 2 stroke snowmobiles, motorcycles, my only experience. Unless New 2006-newer Chevies, Hondas come with them.

I get 200k miles on truck then sell, trade. Have not put a sparkplug in my last 3x trucks.

Deuces, Truckdoctor Andy and Sharpone like this.
  19. Sharpone

Sharpone

Totally amazes me that late model stuff goes 100k + on plugs
    Dan

Deuces, loudbang and firstinsteele like this.
  20. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuel Injection, and I never run less than 89 octane. Premium every so often. When fuel mileage drops slightly, I add fuel treatment and its good.

My current truck was 109k miles have changed fan belt just PM. Changed Battery. Runs like a sewing machine 2500HD 6.0l. I tow periodically, hauled 3500lb camper many times. Still runs like new.

21. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

I think it's the one Indian used on their 1919 Model O Light Twin?
    [​IMG]

Deuces, LCGarage, Sharpone and 2 others like this.
  22. The model Zero? Says the Harley Rider. Just kidding, the Model O and the Harley Sport Twins are both cool machines.

23. Darn pesky electronics!!!;););)

Ben

Deuces, GlassThamesDoug and Sharpone like this.
  24. Sharpone

Sharpone

All my small engines (chain saws, pressure washer, weed whackers) I change the plugs about once a year. As soon they become harder to start I change out the plug they always look good however with a new plug they start easy, not sure what goes bad ?
    Dan

25. LCGarage

LCGarage

26. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

Maybe try to clean them. Should definitely last longer than one year.

27. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

That really is amazing. But it shows what a difference basically two things can make: longer lasting materials in the plug, and near constant fuel mix adjustment to keep it near optimal as much of the time as possible preventing plug fouling.

28. Sharpone

Sharpone

I’ve cleaned them but after cleaning they still don’t work as good as new plugs.the old plugs almost always look fine.
    Dan

V8-m likes this.
  29. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

I bid on this one, but it went for $2600. It’s actually a Kemp Airdrive Boat motor. They used the Indian Model O engine.

Truckdoctor Andy and Sharpone like this.
  30. RodStRace

RodStRace

I don't know if it's worth bothering, but sparks like sharp edges to jump. Normal wear and Cleaning with blasting both round the electrode's edges. You can try to file and regap.
    This depends on the hours used, cost of new plugs and what you value your time at.

G-son, ClayMart and Sharpone like this.