Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Guide B-31 reconditioning

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tarheelrodr, Apr 22, 2024.

1. tarheelrodr

tarheelrodr

Picked up 3 Guide B-31 lights this weekend at GOODGUYS Raleigh and want to use them for front turn signals on my 34 pickem up.

How do I remove and replace bulb socket and wires? They are a bit crusty. Maybe even replace with led?

thoughts? PXL_20240422_204540627_Original.jpeg PXL_20240422_204548043_Original.jpeg PXL_20240422_204552613_Original.jpeg

2. tarheelrodr

tarheelrodr

3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m jealous, I’ve got them as turn/park lights on my 38 Chevy and my units looked about like yours. I taped of the exterior, after cutting the wires to get the remnants of the wiring , I then sandblasted the interior of the light, polished the interior of the socket, installed new wires and was done. Good choice, I would like to of had another pair for the T Roadster but couldn’t find any

4. Help parts at auto store. The cards and ends are available. Push ends out clean paint and drop new ends in place.

tarheelrodr likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things were simpler when Napa didn't have 80 pages of light connectors.
    I used to know the number because you could use them to turn Chevy AD park lights into Park-Turn lights with a stop/tail light bulb with straight across pins. That doesn't work as well as the guy who wrote the article said it did though.

6. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Marker lights may not be as bright as turnsignal bulbs. The LED marker lights you propose are only 50mA which is only about the same as a conventional 5w bulb.

tarheelrodr likes this.
  7. tarheelrodr

tarheelrodr

I see…by “card” you mean the round part with 2 contacts on them. I can replace with new like so. Once I find right size and remove card and put in my light.

Attached Files:

8. tarheelrodr

tarheelrodr

bought new cards from Napa, installed them with new bulbs but because the flange the socket is in is so rusted I have no ground suitable enough to provide power to the light when I attach a ground wire to the threaded housing mount stud. Only way I can get light to work is touch ground wire directly to outside of socket housing. I then attempted to add a ground wire but in the process of trying to drill a tiny hole in socket support tab, bit broke and I crushed bulb socket so I removed it.

so now I am left with the dilemma on how to attach new bulb socket and good ground?
    IMG_0824.jpeg JB weld? How do I ground it?

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'40 Plymouth stoplight lenses fit perfectly when converting to tiny tails. HPIM4300.JPG

vtx1800 likes this.
  10. Couple of small tack welds. That'll damage the OEM plating some but won't affect functionality.

tarheelrodr likes this.
  11. 302GMC and tarheelrodr like this.
  12. bubba55

bubba55

I took on a project like this a few months ago - this is what I found out - first the bolt that holds the brackets in place is crimped on the outside on the square shoulder of the stove bolt to hold the body mounting bracket and inside bracket holding the light socket - after trying to remove the stud - I finally wound up grinding off the head of the bolt very carefully - found the B-31 body had square hole for the square sholder of the bolt to lock it in place - found a double socket from Snyders with a flat base that bolted to the inside bracket - found some good 2 -wire electric cord from my local hardware store and with some tweeking got everything back together

302GMC and tarheelrodr like this.