Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dust Bowl Speed Shop World Headquarters

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, while we wait for the whole loan process to finish, I had the well guy come out. If you have ever wanted to see what makes a $6,000 hole, look no further.

IMG_3551.jpeg IMG_3553.jpeg It gave me a chance to stretch the legs on the Produce Truck.
    Hopefully, I will see some visual progress in the next 3 weeks.

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

How deep for good water?
    Marcus...

NoSurf likes this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

He called this morning and says he will probably stop at 160'.

4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hmm,not too bad, if the water is really good.
    Marcus...

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Rumor is that it is good water, not too hard.

Sancho and Okie Pete like this.
  6. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

If you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge per foot to drill?

I was told in my area it would cost about $10k. I took that to mean $12k-$15k.

Your place looks great, good on 'ya!;)

EDIT: that produce truck is cool in itself, I need to go look for a thread.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

I don't have the bill yet. The guy that drilled it is old school, he just said " ah pay me whenever". He is a very backwoods, salt of the earth guy. I'll know soon enough. It was roughly $6K, as far as I know.

Unkl Ian and Okie Pete like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, a minor setback. I got the appraisal back for the house and shop. The lender didn't want to finance both, so they shot us a reduced amount. I'll be honest, we weren't feeling it.

I am 3 years away from retirement and this house deal snowballed into a lot of money. We are Dave Ramsey folks, so debt isn't our deal. We are changing gears and building our shop/house under one roof. I'll have the outer structure built and then it will be up to me to frame out the inside, build the cabinets, do the flooring etc. The advantage is, we will be able to stay on track for retirement. It did set us back the $4K for architect drawings that seems to be wasted, but that is small in the grand scheme of things. More to come in the following weeks. I have to meet with my steel building guy and redesign the shop/house and make it bigger.

SS327, -Brent-, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  9. Size does matter.

SAM3 Customs, Roothawg and Okie Pete like this.
  10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be sure to put up a vapor barrier between the living area and the shop . That way exhaust fumes and paint smells won’t swap into there. Had a great uncle in NB that had a large wood stove in his shop . He had laid a large pipe in the ground from his shop and connected it to his basement under the house . He forced heated air to the house except on the days he painted a car or a tractor.

Sancho likes this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I will spray foam the walls between the shop and the house portion. Closed cell acts as a vapor barrier. I also have my wife’s single car garage as a buffer. Here is a rough plan I through together last night. Dimensions are changing. This should end up being 50’x120’ I think. I have to talk to the steel building guy today and see what he says.

IMG_3560.jpeg

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is basically what it will look like.
    [​IMG]

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

how about a garage door out the back and a cement pad for doing dirty jobs, pressure washing and sand blasting?

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have been pondering that.

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Let's build you a tornado proof room also.

16. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tornado proof the shop area . Solid 30” walls . 1” thick steel plates to swing around to lock in place over the doors . 12” thick cement ceiling got to protect what’s important

down-the-road and SS327 like this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Are you kidding, I have a 40' pile of dirt. I'll just tunnel into that bad boy.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, I am on a Group Chat with all of my future neighbors and they were talking about some sketchy characters lurking around the hood. They went out to confront them and they drove off.

I guess I am gonna hafta build a gate. I figure they were out there scoping out the build sites looking for stuff to pilfer and hock. They were driving a late model Mustang, so they weren't gonna haul much.

19. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As someone who lives in the same building with his shop all under one roof, I highly recommend a shop sink and toilet that can be accessed from the shop. Ours is in the mud room with the washer and dryer right there and the next stop is the shower before entering the house.

Roothawg, Okie Pete and down-the-road like this.
  20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Sounds like you *need* some Nitro(30-55 gal? :D ) around. PIA @ 1st w/the FEDs, but maybe a blessing in disguise... :D . RacerX has a few comments on that... :D .
    Marcus...

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am betting @nrgwizard is wondering where that post went.

22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

IDK, which post???
    Marcus...

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was assuming the nitro comment was meant for another thread. I'm kinda slow though....

NoSurf likes this.
  24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, RH;
    No, it was for this one. The reference was from the sketchy characters, thieves-wanna-be's, etc. In Racer-X's long rebuild thread, he gets into detail about how he needed to now go thru all kinds of crap & licensing from the Feds to buy, & store, (& I assume, carry) Nitro. I'll find the post# iffen you'd like - it is an amusing read... Seems it's a near-prohibited product these days, due to Homeland-InSecurity & the fact that Nitro is considered an explosive. He also said that even with the serious security system he has, the Fed's'd be there before the cops & it wouldn't be good for the criminal-types... :D . So he's feeling rather safe now.
    Marcus...

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Makes sense. I'm with you now. Like I said, I am kinda slow most days...

The funny thing is, after all of the drama, it ended up being a new neighbor that bought the lot and they were just checking out progress on their place. They eventually talked to them, they didn't see either of the folks that approached them, it was all in the timing.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  26. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Good, impromptu neighbor watches are a good thing, esp when done out of concern/love for each other, in addition to selves. We all got enough trouble everywhere w/criminal element that's apparently untouchable for any number of claimed reasons... ;( .
    Marcus...
    Btw, I was going to comment on the house/shop situation. If I had to do an all-in-one, & I had the land-elevation-drop-terrain you do(or better/more... :D ), I'd look to underground blown-concrete structures. Done somewhat similar to an upsidedown swimming pool w/sprayed concrete. Very strong, very quiet inside, open-type interior(s), near-fireproof, & can be nicely lit inside(no deep dark cave effect). Nicest version I saw, was Sybarite, in the WI Dells, as a show-piece. The book on the company I got years ago, said they build all kinds of sizes, & could do at least 2-story structures. Cost of concrete might be an issue. You've got enough dirt to cover the domes with... :D . & hte whole house/gar/shop becomes near-hidden. :) .

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

We have water table issues here, because of the clay. Water stands in Oklahoma red clay for days. We have a handful of houses with basements. Most have water standing in them.

Okie Pete likes this.
  28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Ohh, nuts... ;( . Too bad. Although I was thinking of the dome placed onto the area you dozed off. So, you'd have a large hump in the middle of the field. But, these n underground water don't mix well...
    Pyramid, anyone??? :D . Or the aztec version? :D . Both should be near-impervious to wall-cloud-storms' destruction. & if you're into alt-healing/power theories, it could get interesting. :) .
    Marcus...

Okie Pete likes this.
  29. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Above ground bunker . The clay soils in OK shrink during dry times then swell during rainy times. Neighbors basement walls have moved in at least 6” . The brick on his house is hanging in midair with no support under them .

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@Roothawg Im enjoying following your progress. We are working on logging our place now. Then a controlled burn next may. Then we can get started with the earth moving & building some structures. 6k for 150' well is a darn good price from my experience .
    Anyways long story longer...I. working in my shop the past couple weeks w the door open & nice weather. I wish I had an overhang/ carport as the sun blasts 15 foot in the door and makes it uncomfortable. Also if I could put a vent fan on the back wall opposite the door would be nice for airflow & clearing out fumes/smoke when they occur. Just something to consider at your place.
    We have cellars in our neck of Ok. Not as big as a full basement. Mostly used for storing preserves, canning ect... Luckily no water issues. The cellar at my Grandma's old place is getting made into a bar/mancave.

Okie Pete and NoSurf like this.