Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Corporate Thieves....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Apr 22, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

WELL THAT SUCKS. Bookem Danno.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. 327Eric

327Eric

And Summit and Jegs cut ties

bobss396, Sharpone and Unkl Ian like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to wonder how many other cloned one off items they have in the catalog.

6. Paulz

Paulz

I thought everyone knew Speedmaster was knock off company.

7. My son has shown me knock off electronics sold through Amazon and other places for years. We have lost control over this but it is worldwide. How can you police something that is so widespread????

lothiandon1940 and Sharpone like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Speedway did that for years and Paxton ripped off supercharger designs from John Erb. Big outfits can get away with it.

2OLD2FAST, Sharpone and Unkl Ian like this.
  9. 100%

2OLD2FAST, SS327, Sharpone and 2 others like this.
  10. ALL.
    No chance they designed anything original, besides their own logo.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Boycott knockoff parts and don't make purchasing decisions based solely on who has the lowest price.
    I know people don't want to hear preaching but........when I wanted a part and I couldn't afford it I put off buying by working some overtime so I could get the better parts.
    True, this was long before people made Ebay their source for buying car parts but there are still established (trusted) suppliers, knowing a vendor will still be around a month after a purchase is worth something in my book.

Boneyard51, hrm2k, Unkl Ian and 9 others like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Watched the whole video, I'll never be in the market for his product but felt bad that he is being ripped off. Hope the word gets out that the fake stuff brakes.

Sharpone likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The trucking industry got hit hard a few years back with fake counterfeit Borg Warner air system parts. The parts were good copies, but slick smooth with no markings other than stamped ink which faded or rubbed of quickly. They even copied the box’s, they looked almost like a BW box but the color was off just a bit. And they were being sold everywhere, even factory truck parts dealers! A parts counter guy would order from a warehouse, so that same warehouse may have served hundreds of customers. Somebody involved in purchasing these parts KNEW they were counterfeit and probably made a big kickback on them. They were priced the same as the brand name, so the end user ended up being screwed by paying the same as the quality part and ended up with a part that didn’t last. I got got on a couple of air governors before I found out about the fakes. I think they are still finding the fakes in the system still to this day…

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Speedway does this often and no one seems to care…

Paint, seadog, Deuces and 14 others like this.
  15. The part that blew me away was the brazenness (or stupidity) of putting the original designer's name on it. I suspect the chinese guy who scanned the original couldn't read english...

Never2low, Unkl Ian, Sharpone and 9 others like this.
  16. Oneball

Oneball

Or he did exactly what he was told “copy this”!

Carter, seb fontana, Unkl Ian and 5 others like this.
  17. Shades of the Hoffman Group.....

jimmy six, warbird1, Unkl Ian and 5 others like this.
  18. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I remember when I was looking for a banjo open drive conversion and they had one that looked like the Hot Rod Works kit. They copied everything except the quality. I bought the Hot Rod Works unit for only a few bucks more and was happy to give it.

warbird1, Six Ball, Unkl Ian and 2 others like this.
  19. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Counterfeit parts are nothing new. I remember an article back in the 80s in one of the automotive trade magazines where a counterfeit Fram filter was made internally out of parts of a Chinese asparagus can. The really sad part was that the counterfeit filter was made better than the actual Fram!

20. No worries, they will still blow their products out on eBay. They have a huge eBay presence unless eBay mans up and ousts them.

I bought a shotgun accessory part on eBay and recognized it as a fake copy. I contacted eBay and the OG manufacturer of the item who is based in Texas. I sent him the fake part as well. He sent me back a letter of thanks and 2 of his real-deal parts.

21. On eBay they are like fly shit... all over. BUT people crow about how good the cylinder heads, etc are. I have seen the products on TV, online and so forth. I never got a warm and fuzzy about the brand.

I'd rather pay a little more on things like Dart products. At least I KNOW I can get some assistance if things pop up about what they sell.

Six Ball, Unkl Ian and Sharpone like this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

Heck, I must not follow things very closely, I had no idea JEGS and Summit had a relationship at all.

UNSHINED 2, bobss396, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  23. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

This got me thinking about how much I buy from part suppliers instead of the manufacturer and I can think of only a couple of things that I have bought from suppliers like Summit or Jegs. I bought my Lincoln MIG from Summit 20 years ago and I got a set of ARP studs from Jegs about the same time. I almost always go straight to the manufacturer for my parts like Shelby American, Dennis Carpenter, Trick Flow, etc. I just bought my glass packs from Porter Muffler because everyone that carries them has them on back order or just one of what I need. I called, they had and they will be here later this week. Chris at Shoebox Ford is really the only supplier that I will deal with but he carries Dennis Carpenter and other quality brands and I’ve known him for years and he won’t sell any crap. I am guilty of having catalogs from other folks like Summit, Speedway, and a few others but I only use them for reference to see what’s out there and what’s new.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, knock off and/or fake manufacturer name on parts has gone on for a very long time. friend just bought a "Fenton" 4 barrel manifold for a Flathead. after doing research turns out that Fenton never offered this manifold.

25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

My only hope is the real guy actually gets a good lawsuit payout.

chryslerfan55, Unkl Ian and Sharpone like this.
  26. JD Miller

JD Miller

"Speedbastard " :D

Unkl Ian and The Shift Wizard like this.
  27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Speedway,Jegs,Summit are just warehouses that buy in bulk for lower prices for customers. Never have bought from any of them. I don’t shop at Walmart either and when you think about it they share the same business plan. I doubt any of those companies research who or where the stuff is made as they just want to push the cheapest to them item for max value

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Speedmaster is as bad as any others we all avoid, and because of their size they're more blatant about ripping others off, and not even removing the other guy's brand name! I'm sure they left the name on to ty to profit off his good product's reputation.
    I dealt with Speedmaster one time on an air cleaner they sold, and when I got it there was a carb base part missing. Their California warehouse was contacted and a request for the missing part was done. They responded by sending me an email requesting me to send a picture of the missing part! Just how you can send a picture of the missing part when you don't have it sounded nuts, or a stall. I sent them pictures of all the parts laid out, and told them to send me what wasn't in my picture, the carb base plate! Instead they sent me another top that I already had. I then requested a complete refund, which they refused until I sent them back whatever I had.
    I finally got a RTV label, and sent back all the parts, plus the extra top, and about 5 days later got a credit charge reversed. I'll never deal with those clowns again, and tell everyone to avoid Speedmaster.

29. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Unfortunately, the copy cat part will simply be redesigned without the Broader Performance logo and will continue to be resold.

Chinese knockoffs are everywhere, usually house branded stuff(Summit, Jegs,Speedway,etc) or ebay/amazon. I don't mind paying less for a cheap simple knockoff part if I know I'm buying a knock off part, but I sure would be upset if I'm purchasing a name brand part only to find out it was a chinese knock off with private label branding on it. This is an issue with many parts like Spark Plugs, Wires, Suspension, Genuine Toyota/Ford/GM Parts...the bags/boxes look real, but they are actually counterfit. There was even a batch of counterfit Toyota oil filters found in Autozone, all because the purchaser for Autozone found a better deal, he probably never realized they were fakes until the consumer made it known.

chryslerfan55 and deuceman32 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.