Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swap Meet Season

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 19, 2024.

1. alchemy

alchemy

I went to the Lone Star Roundup for the first time ever this weekend, and was blown away by the swap meet. Walk in the door and first thing I see is a pristine 32 chassis for reasonable money. Second booth in and I find a winged SW water temp for $25. Back down the other direction a guy had a set of NOS 40 fenders! I’ve never seen such a thing in my life!

Met and chatted with some nice guys, and also got a great BBQ recommendation (we were sent to Black’s in Lockhart, thanks Willie!). Not many swaps where you also get culinary critiques. Best BBQ I’ve ever eaten!

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Went to a small swap meet at a car show a couple of weeks ago. Was mostly 60’s cars stuff or drag car parts. Nothing I couldn’t live without.
    That’s about the only ones I get to go to. I’m not driving 200-300 miles just to come home empty.

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Franklin, IN swap meet May 17-18 at the Fairgrounds. Lots of good stuff. I'll be there in space 72 stop by and say hello. 50 Ford , 33 Dodge, alot of SB pullys and much more.

Then don't forget the following weekend the big one in Springfield, Ohio.

trulyvintage likes this.
  4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I've been to 4 swap meets in the past few weeks. I got some great stuff at the first one that I had low expectations of since it was the first one at that location, so that was a nice surprise. The 2nd one was a dud and total waste of fuel, with about 20 vendors selling absolute junk. This past weekend I spent 4 hours at New Braunfels Swap Meet on Friday, and made several passes through the Lone Star Round Up swap on Friday & Saturday, and I didn't buy a s single thing. I'm contemplating heading up to Pate Swap Meet next weekend.

trulyvintage likes this.
  5. The Future Starts May 4th ...

Swap meets are dwindling for several reasons
    the primary one being a hosting venue
    that will be able to ensure an event
    year after year after year ...

Join me - either in person or on
    social media for live coverage
    of " Swap-O-Rama "
    on May 4th, 2024 in McFarland, CA
    just outside Bakersfield ....

Well over 100 vendor spaces have
    been sold - the event is being
    organized by our very own
    Jim Holguin ....

Spaces available up until
    the day of the event

IMG_9619.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_9760.jpeg

IMG_9761.jpeg

@ https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/famoso-drag-strip-swap-o-rama-may-4th-2024.1308448/

The Hobby needs your support
    for automotive swap meets
    to continue for the next generation !

Jim

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    deucemac and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Please post photos, that is one meet I'd like to get to some year. Bob

wheeldog57 likes this.
  7. Bob, you have been saying that for years. If I can drive 7 hours to get there from Pennsylvania, you can drive 3 1/2 hours from your house.. After saying this I will not be at Fitchburg again, I am 83 years old, and my wife is 75 year old, and neither of us is in good health, that, and the northeast traffic, make going there more than we can handle nowadays. Bob, how many years have we known each other starting at the Ridgefield, Connecticut swap meet many years ago.

caprockfabshop likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm going to say 1967, a high school friend and I went 50-50 on a 1930 Model A Cabriolet for $50.00. He needed the rear axle, I got the rest of the car, and parted it out. I swapped six 19 inch wire wheels to you for two orange 1926-27 T Roadster doors off an old drag car. Those doors went with the front half of a 26-27 Touring that eventually became the flathead powered Bo Jones clone Art Johnson built. All the cars and parts but mostly the people are what make for great memories. Bob

9. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Ha! I saw that gauge, stupid of me not grabbing it.

10. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Yep! Canfield, Ohio this weekend. We have had the same spots for a long time. The swap meet scene has changed. We see more people walking by with weed whackers, type writers, and so on. No body wants to get up early so they can get the best deals. Ok, I'm done venting.

hotrodA likes this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like there may be light rain on Friday but clear on Saturday so I'll load up and tarp Rusty the night before and all should be good. Can't wait. swap meet 001.jpg

12. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Difficult to pass a swap meet regardless of the vendor count if within reasonable distance, at any given time a barn or garage might be vacated or an estate dispersed..

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I believe in getting there early. I'll get there around noon tomorrow.

bschwoeble likes this.
  14. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

New Braunfels Swap Meet wasn’t too bad, Conroe has turned into a flea Market won’t be going to that one anymore. The LSRU was decent, a lot of pre 1960 parts. Pate continues to be the premier Swap Meet in Texas. You never know what you will find, I have done very well at Pate.

15. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Good luck. I hope you find what you need/want.

HEATHEN likes this.
  16. I went to the Portland swap for the first time in about 40 yrs. came home with a few things and cant wait for next month!

17. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I have been a vendor at Charlotte Auto Fair for over 30 years & will probably give it up after this year. I have been moved 4 times because of Speedway projects. Last year they closed the Blue Field & moved me to the Orange Field (where I started 30+ yrs ago), recently received info for Fall Meet, now called "Auto Fest", & no longer spaces inside the speedway. All are outside in the Green Field, no asphalt & plenty of mud if it rains. Think I'll pass & wait & see what's offered for Spring 2025. I have been attached to a walker for the last 3 weeks with a blown out right knee & surgery is 2 weeks away, Doc said it wouldn't last forever. I've had 4 surgeries since last June! Guess I've exceeded my life expectancy at 82! Walking through swap meets is out of the question!

hotrodA likes this.
  18. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Just finished the weekend at Canfield. It seems the economy is hurting everybody. Talked to several vendors. Many are frustrated that there is not a lot of action. We have seen the slow transition from automotive swap meet to a flea market. It's still a good time to socialize with old friends, just like we used to do at the old rod runs.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  19. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add: Canfield was good on attendance. Very few carrying vintage car parts. People had no problem laying down $100 for China garage art signs. Could not give away SBC, BBC, so I zigged when they zagged... lowered price, unloaded BBC was 2pc away from total sell out. I kept lowering till I got their money. Many venders said they would not bring back sbc, bbc.

Truck parts were moving, 83-99 thou.... not my style.

bschwoeble likes this.