Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Technical Rebuilt 302 has no get up! Help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brandon141, Apr 15, 2024.

1. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Stock HO cams-

'85-'88 E5ZE-6250-AA
    '89-'95 E8ZE-6250-CA or F1ZE-6250-AA

You'll need lifters, spider and dogbones for these, and shorter pushrods.

2. Sharpone

Sharpone

I agree, something is fundamentally wrong, bad spark or off time, low compression or not enough fuel. Check all the basics cranking compression. Check the ignition, valve and piston position of each cylinder, if you or a friend has a wide band o2 sensor you could see what your AFR is at various rpm’s and loads, you could also swap carbs if you have another one.
    Dan

3. Brandon141

Brandon141

Ok, found the problem!!!!
    #1 cylinder- 0 PSI
    #6 - 95 PSI
    2,3,4,5,7,8 - 150 + PSI

4. Budget36

Budget36

Ya. I’d say you found a problem;)

nunattax, skooch and Sharpone like this.
  5. RmK57

RmK57

Stuck or bent valve? Broken valve spring?

Sharpone likes this.
  6. Brandon141

Brandon141

I’m pulling the valve covers now to look at # 1 springs and valves.

Sharpone likes this.
  7. Brandon141

Brandon141

So it doesn’t appear to be a bent valve or broken spring on #1. But, #4,6 ,7 Tappets are totally collapsed…

Sharpone likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

If you take the rockers off, leave a PR on the lifter, does it rise and fall? Or just kinda sit there.
    And I’d look at #1 first with zero compression.

Sharpone likes this.
  9. Brandon141

Brandon141

10. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

My money is on the valves going "Kissy Kissy" with the pistons.

The problem is quite common on long duration cams on 5.0 engines.
    But the larger diameter valves will also come into contact with the edges off the valve pockets in the pistons.

An easy[ish] repair for a DIYer , but the heads need to come off.
    Lay the heads upside -down and level on the bench ,then fill the chambers with gasoline [gasoline always finds the leak]

Dont throw the old head gaskets yet [you'll need to install them on and of again 16x]
    You need some soft substitute valve springs
    Rotate the engine through it's range of motion each side of TDC [with the valves "rocking"] and use a dial test to check valve clearance, by pressing on the valves and compressing the springs. Test this approx 30° each side of TDC

The valve pockets are easy to cut with the correct tool and a cordless drill [I've made my own tool by welding cutting tips to an old intake AND an old exhaust valve.
    edit: the pockets need 0.050" clearance around the valve, so 2" intakes need a 2.1" diameter cutter
    https://www.lindytools.com/ihpc [for the cutting tools]

You set some collars on the valve stems to limit the cutting depth cut the first piston [several cuts may be required and checked]
    You then "lift" the valve and measure under the collar with a feeler gauge.
    Then all the other pistons can be replicated in reasonable time

A lot of masking tape is needed to protect the engine from debris.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Bingo!

Sharpone likes this.
  12. Brandon141

Brandon141

I checked piston to valve clearance with play doh when I assembled the motor. But, I’ll know as soon as I pull the head! Either way, the motor is coming out! And I will be changing the cam with a full roller!

13. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

If you didn't use a solid (non hydraulic) lifter when you checked clearance, the hydraulic lifter will be full of air and only open the valve partially, making you think it's all fine. Start engine, lifters fill up and valve meets piston.

14. Brandon141

Brandon141

Is the ford “B303” cam equivalent to the “HO” cam? The B cam is $607 as a kit, minus the pushrods.

- I took apart the tappet and made it solid when checking for clearance.

seb fontana and Sharpone like this.
  15. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Don't go shopping until you have located/sorted / repaired the problem.

Your original cam had 0.512" lift and 228° @0.050" duration and 112° lobe separation.
    The B303 cam has 0.480" lift and 224° @0.050" duration and 112° lobe separation. which is slightly better.

Duration and lobe separation is the problem [not lift]

This would be a better cam for dragging a heavy ol' barge around
    https://www.compcams.com/magnum-215-215-hydraulic-roller-cam-for-ford-221-302.html
    It has Higher lift, less Duration and Tighter lobe separation [0.533" lift and 215° @0.050" duration and 110° lobe separation.]

While your heads are off ....... Check the valve spring stiffness over the nose and at installed height.
    They were generic springs that came with the heads already installed.

Desoto291Hemi and Sharpone like this.
  16. Sharpone

Sharpone

Winner winner Chicken dinner!, wow, glad you found the problem hopefully no pistons are damaged. Did it make a lot of noise when you fired it up the first time ?
    Dan

17. Sharpone

Sharpone

PR = push rod, also check to make sure all your push rods are straight.
    Dan

chicken likes this.
  18. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

The B cam isn't same as stock HO. Kerry has good info...good plan to follow what he says. Stock HO short block pistons were not designed for long duration cams and 2.02 valves and may have interference at the valve relief edges, slightly bending the valve heads.

Sharpone likes this.
  19. Brandon141

Brandon141

I didn’t hear anything, but would it happen to other pistons also if the valves kissed the #1 piston???

Sharpone likes this.
  20. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

All it takes is inconsistencies between stamped rockers and "questionable clearances"

Sharpone likes this.
  21. Kommuter

Kommuter

How did you set the valve clearances? Are the heads studded with adjustable rockers, or bolt down?

Sharpone likes this.
  22. Brandon141

Brandon141

When I installed them the first time I did a full turn with the tappets not pumped up. But that was too tight. So I tightened the rocker until I couldn’t spin the pushrod then tightened 3/4 turn.
    So who knows, I’ll know when I pull the head tomorrow.

Sharpone likes this.
  23. Kommuter

Kommuter

That sounds about right as long as you spun it through the firing order. I thought maybe the rockers were too tight because I’ve done that before when I switched from the bolt down rockers to heads that were adjustable.

Sharpone likes this.
  24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Really sounds like the cam timing is wrong. Like one tooth Off!- .Out! what ever you'd like tom call it.

Sharpone and Kerrynzl like this.
  25. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

All you need is a bit of assembly lube or oil on the pushrod ends and you can spin the pushrods even when the valve is wide open.
    So I don't trust that method at all .[or my fingertips]

The recommended preload for most hydraulic lifters is 20 to 40 thou so settle on 30 thou.

I made up a 30 thou "feeler" gauge from a piece of brazing wire that had a tiny bend at the end [I hammered it flat until it "miked" at 30 thou]
    The feeler gauge is slipped down beside the pushrod and between the circlip and plunger. [then adjusted by feel]

Every engine I've built has been dead quiet on first start up [which really helps when you want to break-in the cam for 20 minutes]

Brandon , Don't pull the heads yet !!!!!
    Why don't you try backing off and adjusting your lifters with the engine idling [ the infamous "clack clack" method :D:D] then compression test the engine again

And hopefully it is a lifter preload issue and not a valve/piston issue
    YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY [it won't cause any more damage than what is potentially already done]

Try this before you dismantle everything
    If this works are you were lucky ........ then pull all the pushrods out and check for straightness [because of possible coil bind when the lifters had too much preload]

26. Deuces

Deuces

I only paid $149.00 for my B-303 cam brand new and used the factory roller lifters that came in my car when I first bought it new....

27. Budget36

Budget36

What you could do, back the rockers off all the way on the cylinders that have low compression.
    Get an adapter that you can attach your air hose to. Put air in the spark plug hole.
    Listen and if you hear air pissing out of the intake or exhaust, then may have definitely dinged a valve up.
    When you back the rockers all the way off, the springs will extend and “should” fully close both valves on that cylinder.
    I should add, since you have an auto transmission, the piston my move to BDC, no worries, when it hits a sweet spot if all is good with the valves, it will hold a lot of air.

Sharpone likes this.
  28. Sharpone

Sharpone

Good idea ,the click clack method I’ve adjusted valves a few times this way it works however I make a hell of mess ,I even tried those rinky dinky deflectors still make a mess. If this was my engine I would back off all lifters about 1/2 turn before starting again, might get lucky.
    Dan

dana barlow likes this.
  29. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Brandon what part of the planet are you from? If I am close enough I can come and help you tear it down and put it back together and it will run like a scalded baboon! I don’t know much, but I know the SBF’s like the back of my hand especially the late model 5.0’s. I can tell you from experience that the B303 is a good nitrous cam for the street, and the E303 is usually my go to for a mild street motor. All my other small motors I ran Yates blocks, Cleveland heads, stroked out Mexican blocks you name it. From my experience SBF’s don’t start making serious horsepower until they are sent to the outer limits, 7000+ rpm and they love timing. Hence why I love a solid roller motor and spraying the house down while I’m doing it :D (edit) Oh yeah and if you’re going to do that make damn sure you have girdles on your block because you will split one in a New York second. Even with them I’ve destroyed a couple…..

Honestly it sounds like you have a mixture of hodgepodge parts that are not matching up worth a damn. And you might have missed something when putting it together IDK but something is definitely wrong here but it can be fixed.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Rickybop, Sharpone and Dos Cincos like this.
  30. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I made up a 30 thou "feeler" gauge from a piece of brazing wire that had a tiny bend at the end [I hammered it flat until it "miked" at 30 thou]
    The feeler gauge is slipped down beside the pushrod and between the circlip and plunger. [then adjusted by feel]

Every engine I've built has been dead quiet on first start up [which really helps when you want to break-in the cam for 20 minutes]
    I used this method on the last cam change I did and it works great! I didn't have to touch the rockers since. The lifters have such a light spring in them that you can't feel the zero lash point.

Gary

Kerrynzl and Sharpone like this.