Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T-A-B project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lättähattu, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Lättähattu

Lättähattu
    from Finland

I’m not too much writer, but I thought drop a line or two about my T-A-B project. Maybe some of you find it interesting.

All started loooong ago, when I tore down my running 28 Tudor to make real hot rod out of it (270 Red Ram Hemi, BW T10 4speed, early Cadillac rear end). Boxed and kicked the frame but never get any further with that one. But that is not the story here. I got whole drivetrain from the Tudor as left overs and I got the idea to build a low budget speedster out of those parts. The goal is to build a gow job / hop up/ or what ever you want to call it, in the way some poor young guy with limited skills and improper tools could have done it in late 30’s. (Easy to do by poor 50 year guy with limited skills and improper tools in 2020’s) But not to be too narrow minded, I will use Carter electric fuel pump, plastic insulated wires and even some metric bolts!

Ford_A_28.JPG

The idea started to come reality late 2017 when I found a front half of T Touring and model A frame for sale at HAMB. It was located at Colorado and I happened to have a good friend of mine lived about 6 hours drive from there. With help of seller Banjoguy and Pufff bringing it to his house , he was kind enough to separate the body panels form each other and remove crossmembers from frame and cut the frame rails in half. That way everything was fitted about 4’x4’x2’ box, which was kind of cheap to ship to Finland.

100_3179.JPG

IMG_20171110_191152.jpg

When parts arrived here, first I welded the frame back in the shape and started to assemble body panels together. I used ¾” thick plywood on where I fastened bottom of body side panels by wood screws. Then make reinforcement structure by using 1” angle iron on bottom and 1” and ¾” squire tubing on vertical and top rails.

IMG_20171127_220541.jpg

IMG_20171229_030941.jpg

While doing that I found a real rusty, but dirt cheap, B engine for sale here in Finland. I was hoping that the cam is in ok shape, so I could use it in my A engine (has little more lift). In my surprise the crank and babbit bearings were better shape than in my A engine, cylinders were decent too, so I decided to go on with B engine. Now I get even counterbalanced crank!

Next step was put everything together as mock up. It was plain to see that rear wall of the body need to be about 6” further than original position of T Touring. Other way you could not fit behind model A steering gear. Also I founded out that the frame is too long. At least in my opinion, it looked like 18 wheeler without trailer.

IMG_20180617_095526.jpg

After the first mock up it was time to remove body panels from the reinforcement structure and give them a bath in citron acid to get rid of the surface rust.

IMG_20180803_111011.jpg

IMG_20230218_001050_9.jpg

So I decided to shorten the frame behind parking brake crossmember about 8”. The frame was easy, just cut, make some measurements to get it straight and weld it back together. Added a reinforcement plates also, so there should not be a risk of the welds crack during use. The drive shaft was little more tricky, cause I do not have a lathe. But my friend does have and he made cut so that there was a centering pin and hole to get shaft straight. The torque tube is not so accurate, so couple of angle irons and C-clamps did the centering.

IMG_20190329_220439_3.jpg

While disassembling the rear end for shortening the drive shaft I found out that pinion gear is really worn out. Found another rear end missing some parts but having decent gears, so was able to assemble one good enough rear end out of those two.

IMG_20190322_055504_5.jpg

For the springs I found a rear main leaf which has reversed eyes and I did reverse front spring by myself. Just using a hydraulic press and slowly first straihtened the main leaf and then shaped it to the original radius but opposite way. Also removed 3 leafs on both springs. The chassis is still real high, but that it is the way they used to be, at least some of them.

I had welded on axles mounts for tube shocks when run them on the Tudor. They just looked too modern for this one, original knee action shocks are too expensive, so I decided to go for friction shocks. I came up with idea to make a set of my own and couple more sets in case if someone else would want a set too. I ended up to make some 30 sets of those. (If you want to get a set, you can buy a set from https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A18015F.html or let me know. I’m out of stock now, but if there will be still need for those, I may make a new batch of them.)

IMG_20220517_063301_5.jpg

IMG_20220517_063237_1.jpg

15_sarjaa.jpg

When frame in correct dimensions it was time to fix the so common cracks on front and rear crossmembers. What is not that common is the way someone had fixed the rear crossmember by welding the U-bolts on crossmember. And welded them in big time! It took pretty many grinding disc before get the crossmember ready for some new welds.

IMG_20171119_170259.jpg

While the frame started to get ready it was time to work on engine. There were some cracks found on top surface of the head. Possible is has been frozen sometimes. I did not want to weld that thin casting, I’m think it might crack again. So I did open up the cracks, drill small holes on the ends and filled the crack with JB weld. Might last or might bust, time will tell. At least it passed the water tab test.

IMG_20200419_182424_5.jpg

By cleaning the engine I found out that it is not a Ford engine at all. It is a Russian one, GAZ. But it has been made by license from Ford, completely same except the spark plug thread size, which is 18mm. So I could not care less, will work for me.

Other engine work included honing the cylinders, fit the oversized piston rings, shim the bearings using tin fol method (plastigauge did not work with soft babbit), lap the valves and cleaning up the intake and exhaust ports.

I have the intake and header by me, which I run on Tudor with single 94, other carb was blocked . Found two Stromberg 81 carbs, cleaned them up and had kits for them. I’ll try to run them both synchronized on B engine. Maybe little too much carb for stock banger, but it is more for looks than best performance.
    20240403_204802.jpg

That is what I have got done in 7 years, not too much. But I try to get it race ready for dirt drags in August, this year or some other year… Still on the list: milling the head, lightening the flywheel, brake linkages, fuel tank and lines, wiring, complete tear down for paint and reassembly. I’ll let you know how it will work out.

2. patsurf

patsurf

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic thread! I can't believe that car fit in that box.

winduptoy likes this.

4. Jeff34

Jeff34

Cut the frame in HALF! That's dedication.

winduptoy and Outback like this.
  5. Lättähattu

Lättähattu
    from Finland

What a man would not do to save couple of bucks from shipping ;) And i was pretty sure that i will shorten the wheelbase, so i would have to cut it anyway...

6. Martinbuilt

Martinbuilt

Threads like this make me feel super lazy.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  7. Lättähattu

Lättähattu
    from Finland

Not much to update. Fitted the pedals, kind of tight fit. I had to shim the steering column about 3/8" towards engine, to get it inside T-model firewall, which is pretty narrow. So have to bend brake pedal to avoid hitting steering column and clutch pedal to fit inside firewall and not hitting steering column or brake pedal. Took more than 5 rounds, heat-bend-assemble-disassemble to get everything to fit. 20240424_180031.jpg

20240424_180151.jpg

Speaking about steering column, i could have bought $50 column drop from Speedway, but i did buy $1 muffler clamp from local hardware store. Something i´m not sure should i be proud or ashamed of.... ;)
    20240424_180101.jpg

LOST ANGEL and winduptoy like this.
  8. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

"There is no such thing as too much fun."
    Great big WOW

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    I keep looking at that clutch pedal...it has many many miles with a foot riding on it to get worn down like it is.
    The column drop is perfect....
    Carry on....

Tow Truck Tom and LOST ANGEL like this.
  10. Lättähattu

Lättähattu
    from Finland

Yes, the tudor had been registered untill mid 60´s and judging by number of paint layers and patch panels on each other on fenders, i believe it has been daily driver untill the end. So it had to have many miles behind. And it need lots of clutching to wear pedal almost razor thin...

Tudor as i bought it in 2001

P9250495.JPG