Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Know Anything About Ford 8N Tractors?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by bulletpruf, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I grew up on these. The last one we had in Texas was a Funk conversion with a flathead 6 cylinder. They also did some with a V8. I had a couple of 9Ns and now I have an 800 that has been teetering on the side of a hill behind the house for a few years. Getting help to winch it out this summer. 8ns are a great improvement over the 9n.
    The reason the 8n was discontinued was because Henry Jr broke a handshake deal Henry Sr made with Harry Ferguson to use Ferguson's 3 point hydraulic lift/hitch. Harry sued and won what was at the time the largest settlement for such a case in the world. Ford had to pay a lot of money and also lost the permission to use Ferguson's design. Ford had to make changes on the hydraulic system used on the Jubilee series. which stayed the same all through the 800 series and others. Ferguson started making tractors that looked almost identical to the 8n. You can buy a kit to greatly improve the hydraulics to control implement settings. It makes a lot of things easier. There are also front buckets that use a hydraulic pump that runs off the front of the engine. If you get a front bucket make sure it is wider that the front wheels. The narrow ones are useless.

2. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

@Six Ball

Interesting story over a handshake, which doesn't surprise me...I won't get started on Sr. or Ford...

I was looking for one, but I have found that most of them have either been worked hard, left broken/wet out in the field to rot. The ones that have been restored, most people want a hefty penny for. In the end, a tractor doesn't lift enough weight for me.

I did make a major f#@$ up on my shop...but not the end of the world. My rough terrain forklift has a 30 foot 3-stage mast. I can lift 10' on the first mast. With this in mind, I sized my shop walls to 12', and put in an 11' high sectional. As it turns out, the mast is actually ~12', so I can only get it in if I tilt the mast way forward. Not a huge issue, maybe one day I'll get a propane lift that will stay inside the shop, but I need the rough terrain to move anything around the property. I can lift stuff off my trucks and set them inside the door with the forklift (not driving inside) and then use a gantry to most anything I own. What I would really like a tractor for is the bucket, moving dirt, dozing paths...etc...

The OP has a pretty clean one. Something like that would most likely go for about $5k in my area. The newer narrower tractors seem to be in vogue, especially in the vineyards.;)

tractorguy and Six Ball like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I like the old Fords because I know them but my Kubota is a very good modern tractor.

TraditionalToolworks likes this.
  4. Dwight schneider

Dwight schneider
    from Funk

V12 in a ford 8n

Attached Files:

5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

OkiePete , it’s obvious you have done the White knuckle ride on an N . I was a young man when I got a lesson , the one I used never had brakes ever . They are dangerous , but cool as hell . V8 60 conversion , is what I always wanted to do .