Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopping a 27 Model T windshield frame question #2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, Apr 23, 2024.

1. 48stude

48stude

How did you guys go about chopping your 26-27 closed car windshield frames ? Being that the top of the windshield is wider than the bottom. Just looking for some ideas before I start. Thanks , Bill

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Didn't know that, guess you only have to make 3 cuts.

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

I checked my notes. Did a 7" chop on my coupe. To get a bigger windshield opening, I took out 2 1/2" out of the header by bending a new flange with a sheet metal brake for the top of the windshield and trimming off the excess. Doing simple math will tell you to take out 4 1/2" out of the windshield, but don't do it. For some unknown reason that would leave a big gap between the bottom of the windshield and the cowl. I ended up taking out 4 3/16" out of the windshield. As far as the windshield being wider at the top, I didn't bother adjusting for this although I did narrow it a bit on both sides of the rear window. The body is bolted together everywhere and things move. Due to the slight narrowing at the top, the top wood needs some cut and slice to work.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Also, since I unbolted the rear window panel to narrow it, I chopped down the "T" mouldings along the side of that window by just cutting off the top of them. No need for a possible crooked weld there.

The37Kid likes this.

5. 48stude

48stude

I've chopped mine 6 1/2 ". I also removed the rear window panel and removed the rivets from the T molding so I didn't have to deal with a welding seam. I chopped the rear window 4" which involved alot of extra work , but I should have more vision. I eliminated the panel over the windshield, and I made my own design. After reading that you didn't modify your windshield frame I see that it seems it will flex enough to avoid cutting it up. I just have to figure out the miter angle . Thanks, Bill
    IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1082.JPG IMG_1116.JPG

6. 48stude

48stude

I chopped my frame and drilled and countersunk the screws that screw into the tangs from the top bar of the windshield frame. What I am debating is whether to drill the hole for the tongue or just omit it.
    What have you done with yours?
    P1030001.JPG P1030005.JPG