Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Technical ***April 2024 Banger Meet Thread - Don't Be Fooled Accept No Substitutes***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Model B crankshaft question for you guys: Late B's (the "Model C" as it's known) have cast-on crank counterweights. Before that, there were Model B cranks with shrunk-on counterweights. Rumor insists that the earliest Model B cranks had no counterweights at all (presumably these looked like a Model A crank). Has anyone actually seen one of these? How did Ford deal with what was presumably a lot of undampened vibration without the massive Model A flywheel?

I'm of the personal opinion that all B cranks were probably counterweighted, but I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong on this. I've just never seen a non-counterweighted Model B crank in person or even in photos.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Years ago, I had a non-counterweighted B crank. The larger bearings were easy to ID if in a stack of A cranks.

davidconwill_hemmings likes this.
  3. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

I have several B shafts with no counter weights- just like an A shaft but with the larger journals. No evidence of ever having pressed on weights. Not being picky, but all there crankshafts were forged , not cast. Ford did not start casting crankshafts until V-8 production.

davidconwill_hemmings likes this.
  4. The original Mod B crank was non counterweight
    Soon after release the BB crank with shrink or pressed on counterweights was released
    The C crank is the forged counterweight version and probably the most common as it was in production for the longest time
    Some of the old timers used the BB style in drags and hillclimbs until a counterweight tuned on the crank
    Then you had a nice sectional view of the internals
    J

5. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Lots of cool stuff going on in those pics awesome job

winduptoy likes this.
  6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I too have and have run "B" engines without counterweights. In one case it had an "A" weight flywheel. I have also pulled "B" weight flywheels off of non counter weighted "B" cranks. The B flywheels aren't so light as to not offer any dampening. My understanding was that the lighter B flywheel was to account for the extra weight of the counter weighted crank.

7. 282doorUK

282doorUK

I have a diamond block B engine, it's got an un-counterweighted crank, an early A type oil pump that isn't supposed to have enough flow for a B, with a B weight flywheel, a police head and an A distributer.

Guess all sorts get chucked in the mix over time..

Outback, winduptoy and johnneilson like this.
  8. Star 351

Star 351

Counterweighted and non counterweight b cranks side by side View attachment 6040229 Screenshot_20240426_213200_Gallery.jpg

9. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If anyone is looking for a S10 4X4 T5 for their banger, DM me, have an extra, located in Canada.

Outback, johnneilson and Crazydaddyo like this.
  10. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

11. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I haven’t seen a deal like this near me. If it was relatively close, I’d have to go look at it, even though I’m waiting for the right 30/31 Tudor to fall into my lap. This roadster would be hard to pass up.

winduptoy likes this.
  12. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It just found a home with 4BangerDean
    Warren

13. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Some of you might remember me raving on about being given the chance to drive an original Empy Special around the camp ground at RTW a couple of years ago, it was a bucket list moment for me!

Empy owner funded G&T induced brain fade meant details of the car were somewhat lacking.

Luckily I just found this vid, skip to 16:00 and again at 1:15:00 to see what got me so excited!

G Baese likes this.
  14. 29Sleeper

29Sleeper
    from SoCal

Thanks - it'll help me piece my Rutherford back together. B block, C crank - cross drilled, Pontiac rods, Aluminum flywheel, electric water pump, Magneto, 3 Stromberg 48s (It ran a pair of 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl carbs when it ran 133. The engine still holds a record in Australia.

eng l - Copy.jpg eng r - Copy.jpg pts - Copy.jpg

set me on fire, GuyW, 40 Olds and 4 others like this.
  15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

That must have been Chuck's engine in the Rae-Weir-Mumford T roadster

winduptoy likes this.
  16. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I have one also, what are they worth?

winduptoy likes this.
  17. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is a S10 4x4 T5, the last two on here sold between $1700-1800. There is a dealer on line selling rebuilds for $2500
    Warren

winduptoy likes this.
  18. 29Sleeper

29Sleeper
    from SoCal

Yes
    IMG_1641 - Copy.jpg

Stovebolt, johnneilson and winduptoy like this.
  19. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Yes its a spare S10 4x4 T-5 thanks for the update

20. Hmm all this T-5 talk made me pull out my BB hogshead and see how it fits (since the motor is out). Might have to watch for a t-5. Here in the rusty New England they should be reasonable.

IMG_6170.JPEG IMG_6169.JPEG

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024 at 8:33 PM
    winduptoy, GuyW and BeaverMatt like this.
  21. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Anyone else feeling cheap these days…? I couldn’t bring myself to spend the money to order up a new dual manifold casting for the Akron-Hed with wider carb spacing. So I called the fella that bought my extra manifold and explained the drivability issues that were encountered and offered to buy it back. It is headed back home now and is slated to be sectioned and widened to allow the carbs to be oriented with bowls to the front. Here is the plan; section about 5/8” out of the plenum and widen the carb flanges 3”. I should be able to fit in sections of tubing to close it all up and a bit of welding to finish er off. To be concluded…

4BB3978C-10FE-4C8D-87DA-D1EF9AA15B5D.jpeg

22. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MAY we have May?
    Warren

4BangerDean likes this.
  23. Jiminy

Jiminy

The May 2024 Banger Meet Thread is now open.