Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Running Old license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snoc653, Jan 2, 2024.

1. 28rpu

28rpu

As it should be. I run YOM on my old cars and don't have to play any games with old plates and new plates in the trunk. One YOM plate on the back and good to go.

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  2. CycleTech

CycleTech
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is not a crime. An alleged violation of motor vehicle law maybe but not a crime. Can you prove it in a court of law?
    Me after being pulled over; I am going to my mechanic or doing a mechanical shakedown.
    Officer Dipshit: Oh OK
    Me; Have a nice day
    They are not gonna keep a record of when I drive my junk.

swade41, WC145 and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The restrictions on use clauses become important in the event of an accident, where I live.
    The insurer is likely to do some investigation and find out, say, that the car is parked at a certain workplace almost every day. Then coverage can get dicey.

Of course every state / province is different.

5window likes this.
  4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  5. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

As we are finding out, there are a lot different regulations governing this across the states. Even within the states that this is legal people get stopped by cops that don't know the law. Imagine the grief we will catch taking out cars out of state with a YOM state plate on them. I am going to print out and laminate the Iowa code to the back of my required regular plate. I found a couple plates, but they are not my county. So pending a couple questions; Can I restore the plates, Can I change them if I find one better suited to the car (county specific or maybe a 50 1951 plate) I will be able to start running them.

6. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

7. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Contact Ron Hargrave in Webster City. He restores/rejuvinates old plates. He may be able to help you out. I live in Omaha and have YOM plates stickered as historical. If you have any questions, ask someone in the DMV. They should be able to help you. Good luck.

8. Sharps40

Sharps40

Same in NC. Stick on the YOM plate, only one plate required. Place the issue plate in the glove box for display if stopped. No need to register YOM plate or otherwise link it to the issue plate/car.

9. banjorear

banjorear

I do the same in NJ. My local town police are fine with it (I've asked them). That said, other police departments get all bent out of shape and will issue tickets, etc. That's what happened at '22 TROG.

10. 5brown1

5brown1

In South Dakota you need to have DMV check to see if the numbers are already being used. I found a perfect set only to find someone else already had the same numbers.

11. I never thought year of manufacture plates made sense on a hot rod. A kid who hot rodded a 32 roadster in, say 1955, would not have been issued 1932 plates. So if a contemporary hot rod is built in a mid to late 50s style, then mid to late 50s plates would be most appropriate.

I have my Vicky registered (in Virginia) as an antique with YOM plates, but I had a 1960 plate with the registered number made to jibe better with the build era of the car. I've never been stopped, but if I do, the number on the 60 plate will match the registration, and the 1931 and 1960 plates both qualify as antique tags.
    0BEE3730-F941-4235-B54C-FC1928A28B2D.jpeg

IMG_8446.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    Just Gary, Kreepea_1, oldsjoe and 4 others like this.
  12. silent rick

silent rick

this ^^^^^

D-Russ likes this.
  13. silent rick

silent rick

why would I want a 27 plate on my roadster when 32 frame rails weren't around then nor were hemi V8's.
    I guess they're ok for a bone stock car but not a hotrod built in the style some 30 years after the car was built.
    and then i'd probably run a California plate instead of an Indiana plate

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    Just Gary and D-Russ like this.
  14. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swap meets, flea markets are full of plates. Guy at Trader Days last year near Cambridge Ohio had almost every year in pairs, someyimes multiples sets.

15. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I know a lot of people bitch about the California DMV, but they do it right when it comes to YOM plates. Find plates appropriate for your year of car, make sure they are "clear" with the DMV (number sequence not used by another car). They snap a picture and the DMV assigns them to your vehicle within a few weeks. Slap 'em on your scooter and go! No restrictions. The numbers on the plate are used as regular DMV registration.
    I don't understand why some states make you have 2 sets of plates.....confusing......

51504bat and Beanscoot like this.
  16. Here in Pennsylvania if your car is antique or classic you can have plates from the year it was manufactured. I have 1950 plates on my car, although the paint is starting to deteriorate and it's illegal to repaint them, so I'm going to lacquer them over.

When I first got the car I got a matching set of 1950 plates that read "2MA15" but it turns out that number was still registered to a car somewhere, what are the odds?

So I got a different set and I put the 2ma ones in the basement above the workbench.

When I bought the car, the PO had a set of 1950 Ohio plates on it (which I keep forgetting to mail back, it's been almost 5 years now, oops) so i assume Ohio has the same policy.

I did have a cop ask me if those were the "real plates" when I was at the gas station recently, so I had to explain it to him.
    IMG_20230801_201519211.jpg

It does have a front plate, because at the time you were required to have one, but they got rid of that in the early 60's I believe

17. noboD

noboD

Rex, are you positive you can't paint them in Pa. I have not seen that written in official paperwork and know plenty of people that had painted them. And there is a website you can check plates in pa. to see if they are being used. It is meant for vanity plates but works for all of them.

18. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

In Arkansas, the plates have to be approved by the DMV. It cost an extra $30 or so a year but you can run them just like regular plates. It was worth the extra money to be able to display those cool semi-rare "1/2 ton truck" embossed plates. I had mine restored locally, and they were approved with no issues, but that's been several years ago when I worked at the state capital and knew the head of the DMV at the time personally and had a lot of friends in high up places. LOL

19. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Nevada will issue a “vintage” plate that resembles an original, but is flat, not embossed like originals. The law specifically prohibits using originals and I tried several time to get them to change the law with no luck.

20. tjm73

tjm73

That's not really a hoop to jump through. I got collector car insurance for my 32 Tudor and asked my insurance agent to make sure it was on the insurance paper and got my plates registered no problem.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Texas, Mike Schmidd @ 817-528-2815 refinishes old plates to original colors. Charges about $100 plus a few more to mail them to you. Texas requires both plates since that's what was originally issued. Good luck, Bud. Registration required every 5 years. It's a good deal. Unfortunately, '32 YOM plates are an ugly John Deere green (puke) with white numbers/letters.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I acquired my YOM '32 plates in 2010 for my Deuce highboy roadster. At that time, both plates were required at DMV to register them, but Texans usually display the rear. Nobody bothers hotrodders who don't do stupid shit !

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was told by the DMV that one is required to display the number of plates originally issued, but most rodders apply the Antique plate rule. The overriding stipulation in Texas for YOM plates is proper color, or very close. Rodders who display different colors are asking to open up a freaking can of worms. Just saying.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  24. Doesn't that put you in a limited use classification

25. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

here in Arizona I'm allowed to use plates that I've had since the '80s. that particular series does not have a year stamped on the plate. so I have my cars registered with those maroon /white letter plates at no additional cost. that includes my daily driver. all I've had to do is just show a photograph of the plate when I register the car the first time. I suppose they could insist on seeing the physical plate but that hasn't been needed yet in my experience. plus also Arizona is a single plate state. so while it's not a YOM registration it's an old style good looking plate that doesn't burn in the sun like the current ones do.
    Screenshot_20240122-163912~2.png
    (I got this image from the internet. it ain't mine but it's the same style. and the only sticker I have on it I put in the top right corner. All the rest of them are long gone.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  26. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

In NC you can run any state YOM tag but must have current registered tag & registration in the car. I had a YOM ('55) tag painted to match my '55 Chev PU when I first built it for my late wife, Purple w/red interior to match the Red Hat Society colors. Unfortunately, cancer got her before it was finished (2004). Have since repainted it black with the mate to the tag in its original colors. I look for YOM tags to match the cars I have regardless of State.

NJjFrpSrTGGhssqUglwn+Q.jpg ZJ0Mh08QQT23KON21efFHQ.jpg IMG_0200.JPG IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_5642.JPG

Attached Files:

Kreepea_1 likes this.
  27. tjm73

tjm73

Technically yes. But I won't be daily driving and if I do drive it to work it's so I can continue on to a cruise night. I also won't be using it to run errands so any restrictions won't mean anything to me.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

245D3A67-E115-4993-B898-E3F7C984AA0A.jpeg YOM plates on all my junk... The '52 plate was NOS unissued, the '29 was ROUGH, I "restored" it with Krylon rattle can paint and some rubbing compound. I've got a YOM plate for the '62 Impala but haven't registered it yet. They're all registered to the vehicles per MI DMV rules. Take a photo of the plate, fill out the form, submit to DMV in person or by mail (to ensure someone else hasn't registered the other plate, they were issued in pairs, and good to go. Recently MI loosened the technical rules about use to legally allow cars with historic or YOM plates to be driven during the season, but I've never had an issue in almost 50 years of driving on historic plates. F9E48761-4E4D-4023-90E8-E4A51A883429.jpeg 2C0D9E30-90B8-42A1-B954-BD3D652C2316.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  29. unfinished

unfinished

Hard to believe but it is....I had a young driver run through a stop sign (, he was texting,) and hit my car running year of production tags and carrying antique tags in trunk. The officer explained to his young trainee officer who was writing it all up that I was legal doing so.