Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Changing seasons.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Apr 24, 2024.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The change of seasons doesn't mean quite the same as it used to for us, since we became "Snowbirds". It's always summer (or at least late spring/early fall) for us now, which is nice in that we can use a roadster 12 months out of the year. It DOES mean there is some inconvenience, as we've got to get whatever car we brought to Sarasota back home to Kalamazoo for the summer.
    That means I've got to go fetch the trailer, get the car (and some furniture we bought down here) loaded up and dragged back with us. The prospect of hauling the trailer I'll admit is a little stressful for me, mainly because of Atlanta, GA, but we'll get it done. Next year we may drive something down that doesn't need to be trailered, if only for the reason that I won't have to arrange for somewhere to stash the trailer for 6 months. I debated leaving the roadster here, but I knew I'd miss the car once we got back to Michigan, and I'd still have haul the trailer home, empty.
    Might as well put the car in it.
    This winter went by unbelievably fast for us, I'm sure our summer will fly by as well. We've got activities and travel planned that will keep us busy until we head south again next October. I do miss "shop time" while down here, but honestly I've got enough home improvement projects done, and yet to do, that I wouldn't have had time to work on a car here anyway.
    And, happily, the roadster required ZERO maintenance at all. It's been as reliable as a stone axe.
    So, to remind me of a winter well spent, I pulled the car out in front of the house and took a couple photos before we tuck it in the trailer for the long ride home. Like I said, I don't know what we'll bring down next year, it kind of depends on whether the Impala gets painted, and the 4.11's get swapped, or we decide the wagon would be fun or we want to bounce down in the Diamond T (which rides like a 1948 one ton truck. Which it is). Mostly we're fortunate that we are able for now to be able to be doing this. I try to keep that in mind before I complain about things.
    Decisions, decisions. 38CA00A4-4AB3-4FDC-898E-782F8351B1C2.jpeg B683CD4A-89FA-4055-A323-B635287D47E2.jpeg F9E48761-4E4D-4023-90E8-E4A51A883429.jpeg

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I just had your problems:) You did the right thing taking the car back "Up North":)
    I agree with your comment on "Atlanta". Several years ago we pulled our 72 Streamline (looks like an Airstream) to Georgia to visit an Army buddy and we, of course, went right through Atlanta. I suggested to my wife, Teri, to visit the states north of Georgia (so I could by pass Atlanta) but Teri vetoed that idea, she was ready to get back to Iowa:( She is a good navigator and kept me in the correct lanes:)

flynbrian48 likes this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Last year going down we by-passed Atlanta pulling my 40 ft trailer.
    We took the route west of that mad mess.
    Mostly two and some four lanes, some small towns and even through the peanut farms. it took us an extra 2-1/2hrs but worth the relief of stress.
    This year we will be keeping our RV at the resort here and traveling home trailerless. :)
    You’ve given me an idea!!
    I may be pulling one of my Hotrod’s down next year :) :)

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yeah, towing any trailer through downtown Atlanta, both tires are on the line and everyone drives 85.

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

We did that on the way down, and it added, you're right, about 3 hours. It made our search for a motel that evening difficult because the towns were SO small, we ended up driving until about 11 pm. I was whipped...

6. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I live near Atlanta. Always entertaining. The thing I look forward to the most about retiring, is being able to move away from the traffic. It wears you down.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Glad I'm not the only one who hates Atlanta! Had to go through there multiple times a week when I was running stuff to the Carolinas. Never a good time to go through there, it can be as busy at 1-2AM as it is at 11-12 PM. Always construction going on, lane closures, wrecks, etc. Try dragging 80,000 lbs through there with a 48" flatbed and a slow truck! I finally said to hell with it and refused to go back through there. I would take a load like just north of there to Kennesaw or maybe just south like Fayetteville, but I tried to stay off the I285 loop. Even quit going in on I20 a little later on, just too many idiots. I've found a few deals on Marketplace the last few years in that area, but refused to go even look at them. 30+ years of Atlanta traffic makes you want a two lane blacktop road!

flynbrian48 and tractorguy like this.
  8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's about the most positive review of Atlanta traffic I've ever seen. ;)

9. My experience with motorhome and flat towing a vehicle through Atlanta is go through straight on I-75, and avoid commuter hours. Not a perfect plan by any means, but it seems the best way for heading through Atlanta on continuing down I-75. I snowbird on east cost and head east at Knoxville and catch I-95 avoiding Atlanta.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Based on the time I sent at Ft. Gordon best to just stay out of Georgia all together. But being as how I live in SoCal and dealt with LA traffic for most of my 30+ working life if got no room to talk.:cool:

partssaloon and flynbrian48 like this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

You just need a summer roadster and a winter roadster. Keep one at each location.

bill gruendeman and wfo guy like this.
  12. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I wish I had your problem, the car problem not the Atlanta problem. When I was working I drove a semi truck in traffic every day, just know what lane to be in and run a little slower than traffic and be don’t be in a hurry. Good luck.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

We have WAY too many cars now to even consider that!:p:rolleyes:

TrailerTrashToo likes this.