Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Hot Rods Top Banana Style Slingshot Dragster- Marty Strode-Chris Kopp.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Apr 7, 2024.

1. spanners

spanners

What about aluminium (Australian spelling) for the injector stacks? Should able to get it in the required thickness (or thinness (if there's such a word).

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I know how I made the new stacks for my injectors. I'm anxious to see how much easier you're going to make yours. But then I always take the long way around the barn...

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If your friend is unable to respline your output shaft try Currie. They resplined and shortened a pair of 31 spline axles for me.

4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

DeSoto - Copy.jpg

Marty --
    I'll ship the stacks and the bells to you if you want them.
    (The injectors and the DeChevy are long gone.)
    Stan

porkshop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Graham08

Graham08

The steel Hilborn stacks that I've owned were zinc plated, so using the galvanized 0.035" wall stuff would be pretty similar to the originals I had.

chryslerfan55 and tractorguy like this.
  6. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

Man, if Marty documents the body fabrication as well as he has the rest of the build this is going to be epic!

7. Looking awesome Marty! I saw an Algon fuel injection set up for sale recently, I can't remember where though. I have a question, what size rear rim and what size M/T slick do you have there? I like how they are tall and skinny...

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sam, the wheels are 15X8-1/2, the tires are 9.0 X 29.5. The tires still have the stickers, but are very old. When I was young and more stupid, I ran 16 year old tires on this one. 2012-09-14 163626.jpg 2012-09-14 163525.jpg

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That will be @chriskopp doing the documenting, as he is doing the body.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Graham, galvanizing can look different, depending on the application, and the need to tack weld the small bosses on the bottom, might be difficult. I talked to Nick Smithberg this morning, and have been thinking about shortening mine, by cutting 6" off the top, and welding new bosses on. That way I will have a set of 4" ones as well. I have a .040 tungsten that should work. IMG_0365.jpg

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jim, how about those Hemi valve covers. Are thestacks the same on the bottom as mine pictured above ?

12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

They only have one hold-down screw -- I guess that what's the Enderles had (it was 25 years or so ago). I figured you'd cut off the bells where they join your tops' diameters. Maybe easier than stretching the tubes out.

The valve covers are rare DeSoto ones and the base of the dumbest trade I ever made. I traded them for some nicked-up chrome Chrysler ones that I needed for the Plymouth. Sure had fun fooling a lot of Street Rodders.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My Aussie buddy, pronounces it al-u-min-e-um. I am not sure if it would flare well, but maybe.

chriskopp, chryslerfan55 and dwollam like this.
  14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Marty the stacks I had on my afx car are made of aluminum and came with the injector from hilborn however the injector was designed to slip the stacks in the injector and has a Allen bolt that clamps around the stack I would think that if they bolted down like yours does that eventually it would crack and break the mints off

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I was able to figure out how to machine the spindles, by making a bracket that bolts to the tie rod eye, and to one of the bolts that hold the jaw to the chuck, so since it is between centers, it needed a way to drive the piece. That will happen later. Another decision I made was to use rectangular tube uprights at the motor plate, as it gives me a little latitude on the location of the engine fore and aft, along with a better seal, cockpit to engine. I bought a Rotobroch to fit the uprights, and it got me close, with some grinding. IMG_0372.jpg IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0376.jpg IMG_0377.jpg IMG_0378.jpg IMG_0379.jpg IMG_0382.jpg IMG_0383.jpg

chriskopp, porkshop, bymanr and 6 others like this.
  16. RodStRace

RodStRace

As much as I can 'hear' the hemi pics, I 'felt' that broach from the back of my teeth to my toes!
    [​IMG]

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those are nice cutters, you won't find them at HF!

porkshop, chryslerfan55 and RodStRace like this.
  18. I need to come visit you some day...

porkshop likes this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Any time Sam !

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That one came from Amazon, works slick !

porkshop and Dean Lowe like this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I added a couple more uprights in the cockpit area, and one crossmember ahead of the rear axle. It will serve as the mounting point for the anti-rotation device required on the nose of the rearend. It will also support some aluminum plates for the driver to step on, getting in and out. IMG_0384.jpg IMG_0385.jpg IMG_0387.jpg IMG_0388.jpg

chriskopp, porkshop, Fordors and 11 others like this.
  22. AmishMike

AmishMike

A step to get into a dragster? Heretic! But u the expert. & at my age need one. (Big smile)

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am storing this’56 for a friend, would make great push car, but it’s going on the block later this year. IMG_4602.jpeg

porkshop, Dean Lowe, bymanr and 8 others like this.
  24. AmishMike

AmishMike

Love 55, 56 fords not so much 57, all rusted away on east coast while everyone saved shoebox Chevy ( love them also). Dad had 56 ranch wagon 3 on tree older brother & I beat on, ate exhaust pipes extra flow from 4 barrel & our driving. Would be great push car.

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I laid out and drilled the rear end housing brackets last night, and torched the centers out today. I am a little rusty with my home made circle cutter. The brackets needed two different radius, because of placement on the housing. A little bandsaw, belt sander, and a DA to finish them off. Next will be cutting and fitting the corresponding plates that weld to the uprights. IMG_0389.jpg IMG_0390.jpg IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0397.jpg IMG_0398.jpg IMG_0401.jpg IMG_0403.jpg

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This one is exceptional as the I watched the restoration. The floors still have the original shiny green paint, zero rust anywhere. Granada spindles and disc brakes, 312 with T-Bird aluminum valve covers and Mumert intake. A later, full synchro 3 speed on the column, complete La Barron Bonney stock appearing interior.

chriskopp, porkshop, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  27. AmishMike

AmishMike

I like big block torque & automatics to tow

28. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Pushin' and towin' ain't the same thing.

AmishMike likes this.
  29. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I just wish I could afford it when it goes up for sale. That looks like one sweet ride...

30. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Now there's an idea @Dave G in Gansevoort ... fix up your OT Mini to be a push car with a simple ;)swap of somethin' or other. What if we mini-tub it? :eek: (No pun intended - well, maybe.)

"Simple," the man says. "Simple! Ha!" :D