Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overdrive 727?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mozes, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Here is the overdrive unit mounted to the main case. The circled parts are bolted to the back of the main case.The overdrive can only be used on a transmission case made for it.It should be easy to find a complete trans. They were used in trucks and full size vans.88-92 for sure......[​IMG]

2. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

That's what I remembered! Thanks for the more detailed info. It's a good refresher. The older I get the more stuff is slipping through the cracks. -sigh- :eek:

3. I have an a518 in the 47 (SKARLET) IT has an overdrive and a lock up converter. It replaced a 727. Just has toggle switches. 360 and 318 ones are different. Came out of a 95 dodge van. Just about doubled gas millage. Been trouble free for 80 K, and had 100 K when I put it in.

Beanscoot likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Good to know, 17 years later :)

73RR likes this.
  5. Not all A518s have lock up. I put a pressure switch to kick out the lock up at slow speeds. If you don't the lock up will kill the engine when you stop just like stopping without pushing in a clutch. OR you can remember to flip the toggle off before you stop. I can't, HaHa.

6. Sorry I'm a little slow.I guess better late than never.

oldiron 440 and JohnLewis like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

you're new here, so probably haven't yet learned to look at the date of a post before replying? No biggie...just gets a bit confusing when others pile on and we go through the same discussion we had decades ago when the question was originally asked.

RodStRace likes this.
  8. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yep, if nothing else, it shows you are going back and reading older stuff or stuff that comes up on a search that you are interested/knowledgeable about. That's good form when joining a forum, so you aren't the FNG who asks the question that has been asked every 6 months.
    Although your join date is 2006 with 11 replies. Welcome back!

Sharpone, JohnLewis and lostone like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Looking through all of this I didn’t see anything about the new transmissions only having a small block bolt pattern but there are adapters available for the big block. :)

Sharpone and JohnLewis like this.
  10. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Gear Venders is the way I would go.

Sharpone likes this.

12. 2006 is NEW?

Ben

Ned Ludd and Sharpone like this.
  13. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

17 years, thats funny

Sharpone likes this.
  14. Sharpone

Sharpone

Everything is relative My new car is 58 years old.
    Dan

73RR, Ned Ludd and oldiron 440 like this.
  15. swifty

swifty

And it is not accepted on this forum because it is not old enough.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  16. Sharpone

Sharpone

Actually my new car is HAMB friendly it’s a 66 Dodge Dart that carries over from back to 63 , but your right most 58 year old cars don’t qualify so 27 years is really new. This post is relevant for me and my build.
    As a relatively new HAMBer I sometimes don’t find what I’m looking for on searches, and sometimes I’ve found good data added to an old thread. I can understand how guys like squirrel get tired of some these old posts. A lot of these old HAMBers have forgotten more car related stuff than I’ll ever know.
    Dan

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

@Sharpone , the OD 727s (518) before they went electronic are not going to fit the trans tunnel floor are on any 60s cars. The bulge for the OD unit in place of the small tailshaft housing is too big right at the torsion bar crossmember. They are referred to as 46 RH, 4 being speeds, 6 the strength rating, R for rear wheel, and H for hydraulic. Check the picture, then the area on your car.
    [​IMG]

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  18. Sharpone

Sharpone

Thanks,good to know, I guess I’ll stick with a 904 or 727 for now, my plan is to get it running (no drivetrain at present) for now, and then modify as budget and time allow. Maybe I’ll go the gasser route - straight axle - down the road. Again thanks for the info.
    Dan

RodStRace likes this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old friends just pick up where they left off. :)

Any added or new information is always appreciated. This is stuff I need.

20. Sharpone

Sharpone

Yep @RodStRace probably saved me from buying a 46 RH at Jefferson.
    Thank you Mr Race
    Dan

Rickybop, RodStRace and lostone like this.
  21. RodStRace

RodStRace

You got it! Basically, any OE OD is not going to work. That's why the gear vendors extends back. It was made to fit before the factory did the late model stuff.
    [​IMG]

Sharpone, Desoto291Hemi and Rickybop like this.
  22. Sharpone

Sharpone

23. Sharpone

Sharpone

RodStRace have used the gear vendor set up?, and if so are you happy with it?
    Thanks again
    Dan

24. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I have one behind a T400 in my Studebaker. It's a pretty simple, rugged unit. It allows one to have overdrive along with an old school cheap/simple trans.

Sharpone likes this.
  25. RodStRace

RodStRace

Dan, not in my own car. Did know of a guy who had one in his blown big block Ford pickup (he loved it) and worked on a Dodge race car (the owners also had praise for it). It was bulletproof in both applications, which is saying something due to other components not holding up in the car and truck.
    They aren't cheap, and you have to follow instructions carefully on install, but it really is a have your cake and eat it once it's bought and installed.

Sharpone likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the 46RE has no lock up. Rather than Hydraulic (46RH) the RE is electronic. Mine came with no lock up converter. I installed one behind the Desoto Hemi in my PU recently. I did have to remodel the X member in the frame for the bulky transmission and I wired up a Compushift Mini to control the OD and downshifts. Great transmission IMO.

Sharpone likes this.
  27. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It’s what is popular with the drag and drive crowd.

RodStRace and Sharpone like this.
  28. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Here is a 46re the rear section is the overdrive. This is for a 4 x 4 so you would still hang the transfer case on it. I just rebuilt this one and I was thinking this would be a nice set up to get overdrive. The computer controlled part is the governor where I think the first ones the governor was still mechanical but the trans was longer because of still have the governor in the tailshaft. It looks to me like a lot of potential with that set up. The case still fits a older LA style small block. Plu IMG_1336.JPG

lostone and Sharpone like this.
  29. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Plus there are differences on the internals, this photo shows the low/reverse band that does not cover the entire drum. For a stronger trans you would want the wider band that covers the whole drum. There may be other things also but It has been 35 years since I have been in a torqueflight. Their biggest failure point in performance use has always been shift timing as in band release timing on the up shift. IMG_1333.JPG

lostone and Sharpone like this.
  30. RodStRace

RodStRace

46RE=electric valve body
    [​IMG]

46 RH=hydraulic (with a solenoids for OD and lockup)[​IMG]

Sharpone and lostone like this.